Vintage Tube System to match Paradigm Studio 40's

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gary Freed, Jul 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm exploring some options for my first plunge since the early 60's into a vintage tube system.

My budget constraints are the limiting factor.

The goal is for a proper match for the Paradigm Studio 40 speakers that are the mains.

back in the 60's my dad owned a HH Scott 229B a preamp/amplifier which eventually developed a hum and was replaced with SS instead of being fixed. Ebay auctions several on any given week.

We also owned a Fisher tube amp that was hooked up to the Scott although the model number escapes me. The 500C Fisher receiver also shows up on Ebay quite a bit.

I don't listen to the radio much so a receiver isn't that important.

Which unit the Scott 299B or the Fisher 500C would be a better match for the Paradigm speakers and is either unit more musical than the other?

All the best,

Gary :)

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Gary, I personally don't think it would make much of a difference. The Paradigm Studio 40's sould work with any tube gear.

Instead I'd focus on your last thought....either unit more musical than the other .... what tube gear sounds best? Which phono section sounds better? Does the gear have an aux for the CD player? Two aux inputs for the CD player and the DVD-A (or SACD) player? That sorta stuff...

(Prix should chime in soon.... I hope.... :) )

3. audio

audio New Member

A couple of questions:

1) What is your budget?
    2) How loud to you listen to music?
    3) What do you listen to primarily?
    4) Do you play vinyl?
    5) Are headphones important to you?

Neither of these amps are better than the other and both should work fine with the efficiency of your Studio 40s. The amps are just different and you'll need to think about what you want out of your vintage system.

In general:

Scott 299B-
    Pros: Magic sound, very musical, warm and rosy, WONDERFUL phono stage, gorgeous appearance, inexpensive to re-tube, good match with bright speakers.
    Cons: No headphone jack, may not be powerful enough for certain speakers or situations, sometimes lacks detail or tends to blur when stressed at high volume or with complex program material. Bass is somewhat tubby.

Fisher 500C-
    Pros: Fatigue-free and NATURAL sound in spades, plenty of power, has headphone jack, has radio tuner, very accurate, a true-audiophile piece, nice and tight bass.
    Cons: Less exciting sound than the Scott but gives more accurate picture of what is really on the recording, power tubes on the expensive side, has radio tuner.

Keep in mind that these are generalizations based on the amps that I've heard. Others may have additional comments that would be helpful as each piece will vary slightly. If you can talk a little bit more about the sound you are looking for, I can try to be more specific in terms of steering you in the right direction. Another alternative is the Scott 222C. I have one of those available right now. It's basically a 299B, but with a headphone jack. In conclusion, you can't go wrong with any Scott or Fisher. They're fabulous. I would be more concerned with making sure you get one that has been properly restored.

4. Gary Freed

Thank you Gary and Prix for your feedback.

From what I've read owning a tube amp can be rather expensive. The best of both worlds would be an efficient integrated tube system requiring a minimum amout of maintenance and also very musical and true to the original recording. My speakers favor the midrange and are not IMHO overly bright, but do not have the best bass extension due to their size. I like a detailed presentation but also a good bottom end but not bloated.
    Prix's use of the term tubby sounds like a negative attribute for the Scott. I read a bunch of reviews over the past couple days and most reviewers favored the Fisher over the Scott.

Another option I was also looking into was a mid 70's Sansui Solid State analogue receiver. I've read a bunch of very positive reviews regarding the 9000 series as one of the best sounding receivers ever made. I don't know if the Sansui has some special magic but I vaguely remember a friend of mine back in the mid 70's owing a Sansui and the sound from what I remember was impressive. The only other SS receiver from that era that I remember
    was a Marantz that another buddy owned which also had great sound.

My current system is the Sony XA777ES SACD Player which is the strongest component and then the Denon 3300 SS Receiver that I use as a preamp and the ANTHEM MK5 SS amplifier both of which are more suited for Home Theater use. My current system seems to be lacking that certain musicallity.

The music we listen to most predates 1980 : Jazz, Folk, Blues, Funk and Pop. So a spattering of many types of music.

Hope this helps.

All the best,

Gary :)

5. audio

audio New Member

There's nothing "magic" about any solid state receiver. I thought you wanted a tube amp? I've got a customer who loves Sansui 9090DBs. He'll buy every one that I can find him. Those are the WORST sounding, brightest, fatiguing, and unlistenable amps I've ever heard.

6. Gary Freed

Prix,

I am very interested in tube amps, and a little concerned about maintenance.
    Throwing out ideas, I take it you do not like Sansui. So the vintage Fisher and Scott tube
    units you like accept for the tuby bass of the Scott.

Is the Fisher more reliable than the Scott? What can I expect to pay for a restored and upgraded unit.

7. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I have the MC240 (McIntosh) as you know. It is self biasing.

Is it a concern if you have to bias a tube amp?

Just a thought. :)

8. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Some of the vintage Sansui gear is good. Their big tuner from the early '80s - the TU917 - has a lovely sound and a great tuner section. I know some people like the big integrated amps from that era too, but they are not my cup of tea. Then again, I don't fancy vintage tube integrateds either - there is not enough venue information for me in those old units.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.