Vintage vs Modern speakers.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thomaskong, Oct 23, 2021.

1. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident Thread Starter

Most people have wrong belief that modern speaker has more clarity and details than vintage speakers

Recently I got 50 years old Altec A7 which sounds much better than my expectation.

I had kept Lansche 4.1 with plasma tweeter for 16 years which is still regarded as modern speaker.;)

You judge ths sound of Lansche 4.1 which go down to 20 hz and Altec A7 whcih go down to only 31.5 hz but more robust bass from the following Youtube videos.

Surpising thing is that Altec A7 give as much as details as Lansche 4.1 with plasma tweeter.

https://youtu.be/gGu9NfsMzGQ

https://youtu.be/jSfOCo-EKPU

Which do you like better between Vintage(1) and modern(2) judjing from the Youtube sound.

https://youtu.be/-4apGL7GnGg

https://youtu.be/OGBUpeNqvcY

https://youtu.be/OGBUpeNqvcY

The Gate of Dafos

https://youtu.be/ulY5cfEA8bM

https://youtu.be/HlNwXvjxcu4

Which do you like better between Vintage(1) and Modern (2) judging from the Youtube videos?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    Naka9, on7green, fpalbrecht and 11 others like this.
  2. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

I prefer modern but the vintage depends which model and brand

TimB, poe_man, kt66brooklyn and 2 others like this.
  3. thomaskong

Vintage Altec A7 could be good choice if you have medium to large listening space.

4. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

My original Quads were designed in 1955. My LS3/5a's were designed in 1968.

5. thomaskong

They could be vintage speakers now, especially Quad.;)

6. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Two weeks ago, I replaced a pair of Yamaha NS-2000's (1982) with a pair of Cornwall IV's (2021 :)).

Well, "replaced" is not entirely accurate, the NS-2000's are taking a break for a while... will also take the opportunity to take the x-overs out, measure, think about updates... and cosmetic work on the cabinets (don't worry, lifetime woodworker and furniture refinisherm- the original look / patina will not be altered! They're beautiful speakers).

One interesting tidbit - when I got the Cornwall IV's in the room, I put the rather diminutive NS-2000 next to the rather large Cornwall, and asked my son who helped me carry the Cornies in from the truck: "OK, which one weighs more do you think?" Of course, he pointed to the Cornwall. I said "Nope, NS-2000's still have 15 lbs on the Cornwalls."

They're neutron star type density. I bet to make a set of NS-2000's today with the same level parts, cabinet, etc it would be at least a $15K speaker!

EDIT: After posting, I realized the Cornwall can be thought of as both a vintage and modern speaker in some ways. I just bought a pair new, but they were around when my NS-2000's were still all the rage. And they're still every bit as fun!

mike catucci, mfcmad, Manimal and 8 others like this.
  7. Ro-Go

Ro-Go Forum Resident

So. I recently bought NOLA Boxer 3's. They were a 2019 build. They were excellent.

I tried, as a serious amateur (ask me how) to build 3/4 Audio Note Js by upgrading Snell J/ii's.

The Snells -- in my room -- bested the Boxers.

The technology has not leaped beyond the human ear since the 5os, I'd guess.

ls35a, timind and thomaskong like this.
  8. TheVinylAddict

I also bought another "fun" speaker recently. As a lead in, I had some Def Tech BP-8B's as a holdover from my earlier-century HT set up -- they're bi-polar and folks have a love / hate with them for music --- I put them in my woodshop, and they've been rocking for a few years in there. With all the space and pulled out from the walls, they actually are quite musical and satisfactory given the application!

But that's not the fun part. A few weeks back on CL, a guy was selling a pair of BP-20's for $275. Went and looked them, tops were still factory glossy, cones, rubber surrounds looked clean, not runs in the socks.... were these ever played? :) He said he got them from a friend who used them and then stored them.

Now, BP-20's are famous for the rubber surround delaminating from the Vifa cones - and sure enough, the seller has had glued all the surrounds. (that's what has to be done). Uh oh, right? Well, I asked what glue he used. Check. I inspected his work, played them at high volume for a while... I'll be darned, he did a nice job.

Walked out with them for $200. They are now in place of the BP-8Bs in the woodshop, and the nice thing is the drivers are up higher, top ones stand above the tables, workbenches, saws, etc and the sound just fills the room. That's important since it's not a critical listening, head in vice experience - I'm moving around, sometimes a dust collector or circulator running - and the sound emanating from the larger BP-20 bi-polar drivers has been fun. (driving them with a Sansui Alpha MR 907 - 180W).

Who says Def Tech can't rock?

jonwoody, timind and thomaskong like this.
  9. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Guess mine are still happily vintaging along. They speak to me with great clarity and musicality. I must treat them right.

bhazen, Wngnt90, Manimal and 12 others like this.
  10. thomaskong

I paid 50K$ for new Lansche 4.1 16 years ago.

But I got Altec A7 four weeks ago at 1000 CDN(750 USD).

Despite the price difference Altec A7 give more effortless sound with nuanced details.:)

Naka9, Manimal, Cote Dazur and 10 others like this.
  11. TheVinylAddict

If I had to describe my current experience with the Cornwalls, with the way I'm driving them --- it would be just that - effortless, even at low volume (which is important). There's another word though - presence. They have room filling sound that's tough to ignore - especially if not driven correctly!

The FRiNgE, jlm86, Manimal and 4 others like this.
  12. Ro-Go

Ro-Go Forum Resident

Is there an Altec driver compendium?

I am incredibly interested if there is.

13. TheVinylAddict

Wait, how'd you pull that off?

bluesky and kt66brooklyn like this.
  14. thomaskong

I pulled the trigger without audition.

It was gamble.

Also, I have to cross the border to BC, Canada from Washington state.

Thus I need to take Covid test.

Also my suv could take only one of them.

Thus I drove 50 miles down to borrow my friend's truck.

It was a lot of hassle.

But it pays.

15. TheVinylAddict

It does. The four miles I drove to get those BP-20's for my woodshop for $200 paid too... that's a lot of sound waves per dollar!

Enjoy Thomas. As one who has enjoyed both vintage and new speakers, I think we share the same as it's fun to try different things!

kt66brooklyn and thomaskong like this.
  16. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Thanks for turning me on to the Dafos album, @thomaskong . It is fantastic!

pterodactyl and thomaskong like this.
  17. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Those are not the rule, they're exceptional weapons of mass destruction. Generally speaking, modern speakers are better.

Manimal, Paully, SandAndGlass and 4 others like this.
  18. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

My “vintage” Chorus II’s may be old and bested by many modern speakers, but I love how they sound so much I don’t care to know what I don’t know.

MarioHead, Rockinrob, Paully and 10 others like this.
  19. thomaskong

Billie Jean after switching to CAD gc3 ground control .

Altec A7 rocks!

Manimal, LitHum05, Dave and 6 others like this.
  20. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I think these thoughts of modern versus vintage are generally about about modestly priced speakers. Today you can buy something very affordable that sounds pretty good. If someone before designed a speaker before the '80s and really well into the '90s, it was a lot of trial and error to get things correct. And additional iterations of prototypes is costly. In the age of modern design tools like solid modeling, prototype iterations can be reduced drastically. Cabinet and driver designs can be tested with tools like Finite Element Analysis to locate design flaws before costs escalate. If you're building cutting edge designs, much of the data doesn't exist to use analytical tools, so testing through prototypes is a necessity.

21. jfine

jfine Forum Resident

Depends on the speaker. To me a modern horn done properly is very hard to beat. IMO.

22. thomaskong

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  23. thomaskong

Altec A7 also give very nuanced vocal.

24. Helom

Helom Forum member

A humble pair of New Large Advents (circa 1976) slaughtered a brand new pair Vandy 2Ce Sig IIs in my room a couple years ago. Everything except for bass extension and headroom was better through the Advents.

When the truck driver was loading up the Vandys to be returned, I mentioned how my $200 Craigslist finds sounded better than the $3K speakers he was loading. He said well, “you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers.”

Good speakers of 60 years ago are good speakers today. Only thing that’s changed is the proliferation of good, low cost drivers and ease of design.

25. fish

fish Senior Member

Thank you for carrying a flame. i do so too.
    Great Audio is GREAT Audio. Period!

Im caretaking a pair of KEF Reference Model Fours. $5500 back in '98. Inflation calculator says they would be $11.5k today, on par with the Blades. I upgraded the NT25 tweeter with a SEAS/ The speakers came from the original owner. It was like prying them from his dead fingers but his wife was insisting. They are stunning and very capable, revealing and focused. I struggled with them for a while, they are Very fussy but treating them right results in a jaw drop. I almost abandoned them for the Double Impacts from Tekton. Im glad I didn't and held the flame.
    Id like a nice b&w 802 nautilus too.

Naka9, GyroSE, jonwoody and 1 other person like this.