Vinyl at Aldi (UK) Supermarket.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mc7t, Jun 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mc7t

mc7t Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well, there's one thread title I never thought that I would see here, but from last Thursday, Aldi here in the UK, have been selling various albums by various artists (The 60s, a rock and roll compilation, a disco compilation, a country album, the rat pack collection etc).

These are made by the (very) budget company "Intempo" and are selling for £6.99 each.

Nearly went for a couple of titles, but tbh, I really would have been buying them just for the sake of it.

Has anyone here gone for any of these titles?.. They're also selling a £40 turntable, so I can't imagine what sort of mastering these titles have.

Cheers.

raphph likes this.
  2. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Sorry, I've never heard of the Aldi supermarket chain... Are they big, with many locations, or just mid-size?

So far here in the US, the record revival hasn't hit supermarkets... yet.

It seems doubtful, since Target tried it a few years ago, and it fizzled out fast.

3. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

There are a ton of Aldi's here in the Northeast US, but haven't seen any vinyl yet. They are the parent company of Trader Joe's.

Stop & Shop had CDs a few years ago, including some really interesting titles like Sonic Youth, but that also fizzled.

lightbulb likes this.
  4. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

I think "tried" is being generous. The Target I visited that actually carried vinyl had it shoved on the back aisles of their music departments, completely out of view.

As far as supermarkets go, I've been to a few Whole Foods stores that had a small selection of records for sales.

Terry and lightbulb like this.
  5. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

I have one within walking distance & have become a fan. They have one isle that changes frequently but nothing in the audio arena yet.

lightbulb likes this.
  6. John22

John22 Forum Resident

7. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Got one here, But haven't checked.
    Grabbed a few from Target when they were clearance-ing them out.
    As E.S. stated, yeah they were shoved in a cardboard display facing a back wall. You'd never know they were there.
    My local Meijer just went through a major remodel. Wiped out the compact disc section.

e.s. and lightbulb like this.
  8. spotifygrati

spotifygrati New Member

mc7t likes this.
  9. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

There is a video on YouTube by 'Techmoan' where he looks at those records in the shop and tests a cassette player they were selling last week.

10. Phishman

Phishman Forum Resident

Aldi is about to invest $3.4 B and open a large number of stores in the US.......

starduster likes this.
  11. Aldi is huge in Germany where it originated and is rapidly expanding in the US as well as in the rest of Europe and Australia. Here their selection is limited and the shopping experience is no-frills but their prices are very low in general for the quality they offer. Other supermarkets are concerned.

andrewskyDE and lightbulb like this.
  12. CirculationUnderflow

CirculationUnderflow Well-Known Member

Yall talking bout ALDI the non name brand grocery store. If so florida has a lot of them

c-eling likes this.
  13. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

We have Aldi here in N.E. Ohio. You will never see their grocery carts littering the neighborhood beyond their parking lot because you have to have a quarter deposit to unlock the cart from it's lock (sort of like lockers at a pool). Few if any name brands are sold. Oh and bring your own bags too. Definitive "no frill" shopping.

I heard somewhere that they own the building their stores occupy (most retailers lease) so they are in real estate too. The one by me has a strip attached with about half a dozen storefronts, mostly occupied. They have their own warehouse in Brunswick, OH.

They have a unique business model. I find it interesting that they are selling music and the electronics to play it in the U.K.

14. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Crap that's where they came from? Take em back, along with your humid-ass summer heat that made it's way here :laugh: ;)

15. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Thanks, this intrigued me, since I enjoy shopping at Trader Joe's; about 2 times a week!

(So, I'm even more embarrassed to not know of Aldi !!!)

I'm ready for them to start licensing and releasing their own titles! ;):D:p

16. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

That's a sub - Woolworths (UK) circa mid 70's selection of records they're selling. Sainsburys (UK) have a slightly bigger but better range available here in Dundee (Scotland). I've bought the most recent "The Wall", "ITCOTCK" and the 1st "Trainspotting" soundtrack LPs from them recently at keen prices too. Not bad for a supermarket but I still prefer a proper dedicated record shop given the choice. :)

17. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

After turning over the Bottom Dollar chain,yes,indeed,Aldi's looks like it wants to gain a greater footprint in the U.S. They control everything they sell so it's their brand or no brand. I remember when they first started here,I brought back a bag of coffee and when asked what the problem was,I said the label was printed as "Coffee",but it tasted like wood. Their initial instincts to enter the U.S. market were good-they seemed to be near any Walmart,till Walmart got in the food business. What scares retailers about Aldi and their ilk is that they pull from the basics,low profit merchandise but stuff that keeps folks coming back every week. Full service stores hope that shoppers will pick up some higher profit items in the aisles. When a shopper does their basics at Aldi's,that higher profit stuff hangs around the full service store longer. Aldi's,at least in the U.S.,also has a reputation for poor service,which they admit keeps prices low. I would not expect Aldi's in the U.S. to venture far into the music biz,as they have little control over it.

c-eling likes this.
  18. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Aldi's had two vinyl drops in Australia. The first had Abbey Road, Sgt Pepper, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Cosmos' Factory, Prism and Exile on Main St. The second had a couple of AC/DC albums. They were $AU20 each which is much cheaper than what the High Street retailers sell them for.

krlpuretone likes this.
  19. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident

Aldi's here in the US is carrying vinyl in the section where they have toys and other stuff selling for the Christmas rush. Here are the titles I have seen so far:

AC/DC 'Back In Black'
    Adele '21'
    Pearl Jam 'Ten'
    Johnny Cash album I forget the title of...but it's a Columbia early album
    Foo Fighters Greatest Hits

$17.99 isn't bad...but I will wait until after Christmas when they need to move these to make room for their everyday stuff/food etc.

zphage likes this.
  20. abescan

abescan Forum Resident

I was at an Aldi yesterday in N.E. Ohio and they had one box of the same titles with two of each one.

Apollo C. Vermouth likes this.
  21. danner

danner Forum Resident

Yep. I just saw the same display this morning. Seems to be a random grab bag of Sony titles. Nothing I’m really dying to own, but still kind of neat to see.

[​IMG]

andrewskyDE likes this.
  22. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Casual user and haven't noticed any LP's in the aisles but Aldi was where I bought my USB record player.

23. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

Aldi and Trader Joe's are owned by the same parent company. They don't control everything they sell. Lots of import goods in the grocery aisle as well as contracted private label goods. Just like any store you have to watch what you buy. Not into vinyl anymore, but hey, they have to make a buck.

24. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I got an Aldi right near my work. Maybe I should check it out. Never been inside one before. Could buy some ground horsemeat too while I am there.

25. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.