Vinyl Deals at Fry's / Frys.com

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by GentleSenator, Feb 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if Thread Starter

While searching Google for some releases in my want list, I stumbled upon listings on Frys.com. Their website is pretty sub-par, but it would appear that most if not all of their limited selection of vinyl is on "clearance".

I've never ordered music from them online, so if anyone has any experiences to share, please do!

Link to "clearance" vinyl, best I could come up with:
    Fry's Electronics |

Some example deals:

Temple of the Dog - $12.08
    Fry's Electronics |

Judas Priest - Firepower - $19.99
    Fry's Electronics |

Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More - $8.87
    Fry's Electronics |

Hot Tuna - Phosphorescent Rat - $10
    Fry's Electronics |

Janis Joplin - Kozmic Blues - $12.08
    Fry's Electronics |

Stone Temple Pilots (Self-Titled) - $12.09
    Fry's Electronics |

:pineapple:

Tjazz, superstar19, Jspmike and 5 others like this.
  2. dr jazz

dr jazz Forum Resident

I would be careful with fryes.they appear to be having significant financial issues and there has been bankruptcy rumors

melstapler likes this.
  3. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I was not aware until recently, but there are two separate Fry’s, with the other being a supermarket chain. They share the same logo and interesting history, but it’s worth checking into which company is in financial difficulty.

melstapler likes this.
  4. dr jazz

dr jazz Forum Resident

His links go to the electronic chain which I believe is in jeopardy.Lots of reports about empty shelves in stores

melstapler likes this.
  5. GentleSenator

thanks for the heads up. have you ordered from them? stuff appears to be "in stock" at local stores. i only have one near me, and nothing really appears to be at that location.

6. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Yeah I found a couple here I wouldn’t mind grabbing for the price but if I’m not really gonna get them...

7. dr jazz

dr jazz Forum Resident

I have not ordered recently but I think if you do a search on then you will likely see a lot of references to empty stores and store closures.

8. dr jazz

dr jazz Forum Resident

Dvdtalk.com under store forum has a discussion about this called fryes electronic is dying

9. GentleSenator

there's some stuff that's so cheap it might just be worth a shot.

hutlock likes this.
  10. spartanmanor

spartanmanor Forum Resident

I would put the purchase on a CC and if they did not come through you can dispute it.

11. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

is it worth saving a buck or two if the retailer is dying and returns become a major headache?

Fry's going bankrupt would surprise no one. Last time I was in one of their stores in 2017, it was just a depressing, empty place.

popscene likes this.
  12. popscene

popscene Senior Member

They are closing (or maybe already closed) the store by me in San Marcos, CA. It was absolutely depressing. Fry's used to be the go-to chain store for a healthy selection of vinyl, CDs, and SACDs, and prices were fairly reasonable. You could always find a few clearance LPs in the racks - last year, I picked up some early Prince reissues for about $6 (Prince, For You, Controversy, Dirty Mind), as well as the blue vinyl reissue of Ringo Starr's Bad Boy and Taylor Swift's 1999 for $9.99 each.

superstar19 likes this.
  13. GentleSenator

alright, fine. i'm so sorry. thread closed.

:p

14. crazywater

crazywater Dangerous Dreamer...

So what about purchasing audio equipment? They've got some awesome pricing on some items and if you can find what you want they appear to be waving the shipping cost. Thinking I'm gonna take a chance...

GentleSenator likes this.
  15. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Looks like the Ringo Starr LP is down to $7.99. (I assume it's the blue vinyl)
    Fry's Electronics |

popscene and GentleSenator like this.
  16. Tjazz

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    black sheriff likes this.
  17. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

any issues other than immediate return would be through the manufacturer warranty anyway, so if there is a good price why not.

hutlock likes this.
  18. Tjazz

I just got this email. So who knows what's going on? I called the number and someone answered and gave me another phone number (which wasn't correct). Maybe the workers have gone astray?

Dear T,

Your Delivery Order T5121698 has been canceled.

If you have any questions regarding your order, please call our store directly at 408-487-1000.

Thank you for choosing Fry's!

Fry's Electronis
    9 - San Jose
    San Jose, CA 95112-101

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    hutlock likes this.
  19. Tjazz

The above might be a credit card problem.

hutlock likes this.
  20. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Has anyone actually placed an order that went through?

SJP likes this.
  21. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

There is a Fry's about 10 minutes from where I live. I went in there several months ago to get some printer ink. They probably had 5% of the usual stock at best which means I left empty handed. Sometime in the 2-3 months prior to that, they blew out most of their vinyl. No worries, it was horribly curated and abused by idiotic customers.

The store was a ghost town with empty shelves and crap merchandise where there used to be decent stuff.

If there was something I wanted at the right price in the online sale, I'd probably give it a shot. But there's not. I too will be curious to see if anyone's order goes through and more importantly, if it arrives in decent condition.

22. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Being on the east coast, the only time I did business with them was on a Thanksgiving special to purchase a Pono for $200. Sounds like they’re joining the Pono.

GentleSenator, jeffsab and hutlock like this.
  23. Tjazz

I got these in a big oversized box with lots of bubble wrap around each LP.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

24. GentleSenator

how much did you order, total?

25. Tjazz

Ordered 4 LPs. Found out the reason my initial order was canceled was because they tried to phone me about the LP that wasn't available. No one answered the phone, so they just canceled the order.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.