Vinyl Flat & Groovy Pouch

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DR.J, Nov 5, 2012.

1. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

Just write MM back, they'll replace it I am sure!

I had issues twice as a subscriber, they were absolutely responsive and willing to make it right.
    And, they likely will not want the old one back, but you won't get a new cover, but just new flat vinyl.
    If so, then maybe try to flatten the spare?
    I did that with a Freddie Hubbard LP, took them 3 tries to get me a flat one!
    I ultimately flattened the spares and gave them away.

2. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

It's much too late I'm afraid. It's been months--I was distracted with other things, and I can still play the disc, and I had read there weren't replacement discs for the 2020 SRX 33's anyway.

3. vinylsolution

Well, I disagree, I bet they have spares... email is free too. ;)

But the point is for me, I personally have no fear sticking my most valuable LPs in there if they are warped.
    I'd measure the temp first to ensure you don't have some crazy high reading on your pouch.
    And know that 'gravity', not nut-tightening pressure is what is behind the device.

From the inventor in an email to me, a question about torque:

The VF flattens records by gravity - once the vinyl becomes slightly compliant, the heavier top plate drops down ever so slightly to flatten the material. So, the center bolt is used to hold the record in place and to prevent lateral side to side movement. No need to crank it down super tight, but you do want it firm enough where the Vinyl Flat plates are immobilized.
    Hope this helps!
    Regards,
    John

Swann36 likes this.
  4. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

I think @Jeremy Bunting is right about the 2020 SRX releases. From what I've read here, people who requested replacements are still waiting. Yields on the SRX fornula were lower than even the planned 500 copies, so they likely used all they got for release copies and expected to make another pressing run for the rest plus spares, but it seems like the plant closure last spring has thrown everything off.

5. vinylsolution

Wow, someone just showed me this unit!
    AFI Flat
    But a bit pricy at $3800...

[​IMG]

6. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

Should be exactly the same in function. Prettier, though.

7. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Looks nice but I would still be wary of putting my records there and also it is a lot of money for a more sophisticated toaster.

8. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Pretty nice looking and the fact that it includes a stylus pen to change the options is neat.

I don't know what they're talking about the "relax" option for improving the sound quality of any given record. :confused:

9. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

Alright, I think I’m going to pull the trigger on this and the pouch. I haven’t read through this thread in its entirety but everyone keeps talking about it in other threads in DMs and it’s kind of absurd how many records are severely warped.

I think it’s been stated that these are pretty ineffective on older pressings but great on newer ones. I have a handful of Music Matters titles that could use just a bit of flattening and a couple MoFi One Steps that are so bowl (dish?) warped that the edge of an entire side aren’t even touching the platter.

I have a beautiful copy of a mono first press Contours by Sam Rivers that is warped beyond belief. It’s not a Playstylite nor a deep groove so I was hoping I could at least even it out a little.

Does this ever go on sale? Appreciate it!

10. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Thinking about getting one myself...

11. slimjw

slimjw Forum Resident

I purchased a Vinyl Flat and Groovy Pouch a few weeks ago and am just not having any luck flattening records. I even got a replacement pouch but am still not seeing anything near the expected results. I wound up leaving records in the first pouch for up to 12 hours with no improvement. Yesterday I tried two cycles of 2 hours with the new pouch followed by a cycle of 6 hours and if anything, the record is more warped now. Is that even possible?

My pouch is the newer on/off variant, not the older style with low/medium/high settings. I measured the internal temp of the pouch and it's easily around 140 F if not 150 F, which seems well within the target temp spec? I am not cranking the wingnut but just making sure it's tight and then backed off a quarter turn.

Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong here? The record in question is a 140-150 gram newer pressing black vinyl with a dish warp.

12. Albert Hunt

Albert Hunt Forum Resident

Hey Folks,

I'm interested in purchasing a Vinyl Flat with the pouch but I see that some people are having issues flattening records from the 80s and early, especially thin ones. Most of my records are from the 50s - 80s, including a number of thin 70s/80s records with warps and dishing. Anyone have any luck fixing these kinds of records? If so, any tips?

13. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

the vinyl flats objective is to make the record playable not necessarily perfectly flat. since i got mine a few months ago ive run records from 60s-80s in it and all but one became playable and flatter the one that still had an issue was an edge warp which is known to be very hard to fix.

if you have a large collection and buy a lot of used its a handy tool to have

superstar19 likes this.
  14. lemonjello

lemonjello Forum Resident

If your records are coming out “bumpy”, it’s because you baked them too long. Remember every pouch heats a bit differently, and different formulas of vinyl melt at different temps. I rarely have to cook mine more than 90mins. I’ll start at 50min, then do another go with 10mins added if it doesn’t come out flat.

I had an 80’s MCA pressing of Coltrane’s Ballads that I originally put in for 50mins and wasn’t quite fixed, so i baked it again with the timer accidentally set for 75mins.... well, it was flat as can be, but looks like the surface of a golf ball and the disc doesn’t bend!

Cheers,
    Jake

dasacco likes this.
  15. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Thanks, yes that was an old problem I had, but The VinylFlat folks later provided me with a newer pouch that did a much better job.

lemonjello likes this.
  16. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

Just wanted to give an update on my experiences and use with the Vinyl Flat. I have the model with Low, Med, and High settings. I set it to Med to warm it up w/o the metal plates in for 15 to 30 minutes, and I measure the temp with the provided thermometer. It usually measures in the mid 130s. I then switch it to Low and I put the record in for 2 hours. I then turn it off, and let it rest for 2 hours or more. I make sure it is cool or room temperature to the touch before taking the record out. I'm finding most, if not all new vinyl, gets flat in that 2 hour period. It's pretty awesome. I no longer worry about warped new vinyl. I'll play it to make sure it sounds good, then clean it, and then Vinyl Flat it. So my tip is to stick with the recommended 2 hours for newly pressed vinyl to start.

17. Mang

Mang Forum Resident

I'm thinking about this as so many "new" records are warped. Why can't new pressings be flat? It's frustrating.

18. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

On the bight side I find that newer records flatten easier....

sonofjim, Conster and matrix-6 like this.
  19. Mang

Mang Forum Resident

That's good to know. I am thinking of getting 2 heavy marble tiles and letting records sit in between for a while.

20. Conster

Conster Well-Known Member

I will try that. The only records I have been able to flatten have either gotten damaged (orange peel) or sound noticeably noisier. I have tried the method without heat for months to no avail.

21. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

The new records dished percentage is high,and for the records price is intolerable.
    Two things create the problem: the records weight and the increase in demand of vinyls in these last years.
    Today many vinyl are on 180gr,and with this weight when the second side that must be pressed ,the side should remain under the press for a little time and not removed immediately.
    But the pressing plant have a lot of work and speed up the production.
    Every plastic PVC if pressed need a time after the pressing if not deforms:result the vinyls are convex on a side and concave on the other.

All Down The Line likes this.
  22. vinylsolution

Orange peel is usually (not always, I am in no way accusing you) from over-tightening.
    From the inventor, you should be letting gravity do the compression, the nut should not be torqued down at all according to my correspondence with him.

The VF flattens records by gravity - once the vinyl becomes slightly compliant, the heavier top plate drops down ever so slightly to flatten the material. So, the center bolt is used to hold the record in place and to prevent lateral side to side movement. No need to crank it down super tight, but you do want it firm enough where the Vinyl Flat plates are immobilized.
    Hope this helps!
    Regards,
    John

It can be a slow process and patience is key.
    I use a 6-hour cycle timer (toggles on-off-on-off) for 24 hours before I even check on progress.
    For 180gr vinyl it usually takes 2 or 3 days of this in my experience over the past 8 years.
    And as mentioned prior, I also elevate the unit so it is not gaining thermal help from lying on something.

nosliw and GentleSenator like this.
  23. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

I have the VinylFlat but I built my own heating system. I did this because I had a digital thermometer Amazon.com: Taylor Precision Products Digital Cooking/Roasting Thermometer with Stainless Steel Housing: Timers: Kitchen & Dining and I had a piece of aluminum 6"x6" x 1/4"-thick left over from a project; so I bought a 25W heater - Amazon.com: ABN Silicone Heating Pad 120V - 1 x 5 Inch Universal Engine Heater Car Oil Pan Heater Pad, 25W Electric Heater Pad: Automotive.

I drilled a hole in the center of the AL-plate so that the bottom nut on the VF recesses allowing the VF to sit flush on the AL-plate.

I put the heater (its has self adhesive) on the bottom of the AL-plate and put some self-stick rubber bumpers on the AL-Plate to raise the AL-plate about 1/4-1/2". This way the heater is only in contact with the AL-plate. I put the AL-plate on a stone trivet.

I place the temperature probe on the top VF plate and set the temp alarm to 124F. Place a thick cotton (beach) towel over the VF to contain heat, plug-in the heater, and depending on room temp it will take 6-8 hrs for the VF top plate to reach 124F. Un-plug (leave towel in-place) and then let slowly cool to room temp - takes 3-4 hours.

I tried this project because it only cost me $14. Note that the faster vinyl flattening system use as much as 50W; but the lower heater power with slow warm-up works. The 25W heater can after about 12-hrs heat the top plate to >130F, but by then (and by experience) the record is overheated/damaged - it takes on that orange-peel look. You can buy AL such as Amazon.com: 2 Pieces 1/4" X 6" ALUMINUM 6061 FLAT BAR 8" long .250" T6511 Plate Mill Stock: Industrial & Scientific. You definitely want a thick piece (1/4") to distribute the heat otherwise the 25W heater will cause a hot spot. FWIW - no luck with those really thin/light 1980's records (hold the edge and they bend).

Posting just to show another way.

24. Mang

Mang Forum Resident

This looks interesting, do you have any photos to share? Glad it works for you.

25. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

Sorry, no photos.