Vinyl Flat Temperature Question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rain_king, Nov 15, 2021.

1. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

That's the way I understood it too. I guess I automatically assumed a preheat was necessary with each use to ensure the Pouch was at an effective temp, especially knowing that my unit only gets into the mid 130's when on high.

2. rain_king

rain_king Forum Resident Thread Starter

If you don't mind, what kind of readings do you get when the VF is in the pouch? I ask because I have now realized that my heating unit (the replacement provided by the company) gets to somewhere in the 130s when empty, but with the VF in there it gets up to over 150.

I had thought (maybe because of what someone else said on these forums?) that it's supposed to go down in temperature with the VF in there, but clearly that's not happening. Mine also jumps around in temperature a bit, from around 13-145 without the VF inside. Does your temperature fluctuate at all?

3. aunitedlemon

I'll check the temperature "in process" the next time I have a record to smoosh and post what I find. I've been meaning to bring in my fancy instant-read thermometer from my beer brewing days as a more accurate gauge so that will coincide nicely.

4. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I have progressively decreased the time and temperature I use with my Vinyl Flat and have yet to fail to flatten. At higher temps and longer times I had no issues for years but recently did have trouble with a colored pressing and a Super Vinyl pressing.

As a rule, I’d say use the least heat and time you can get away with. If the disc doesn’t flatten to your satisfaction you can always do it again a bit more extremely.

5. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Thanks for the confirmation. Can you please share what timings/heating has been successful for you? For example, what timing and temp did you use on an LP that had a really bad warp versus the minor warps that you tend to see with brand new LPs?

Also, do you have the groovy pouch with the latest temp setting module (High/Med/Low) and use a thermometer they provide to validate the temp? - Would be curious to know what your temp settings are for each of the three settings although I understand those seem to vary from one person's pouch to the next which to me, doesn't sound make for a solid and reliable product.

Sorry for all the questions, but just trying to get more comfortable with this solution as I am still on the fence in pulling the trigger on one of these...

Cheers,
    Vin.

sonofjim likes this.
  6. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Hey sure. I’ve had the Vinyl Flat for years. My first pouch had no controls. I had no timer and I just put records in Willie Nillie. Sometimes records went more than 12 hours. Never had a problem, just success.

My pouch was clearly failing over time and I got the new one with high/med/low. I used the thermometer and went with medium. I’ve honestly only had an issue with a colored pressing and a new “Super Vinyl” pressing. It still made me reevaluate what I was doing.

I noticed that, on the medium setting, the device felt too hot to comfortably hold. Only two records ever suffered out of hundreds but I decided to minimize the heat to low regardless of the recommendations of the manufacturer. I have a timer and have the time down to 2-3 hours. The records still come out flat. I think it’s a case of less is best.

Do the least that works.

Kyhl and aunitedlemon like this.
  7. aunitedlemon

Good advice for how to use the Flat/Pouch.

8. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Thank you for the great info and advice. Just one more question - you mentioned 2-3 hours on low setting seems to work best. Does that mean you start on 2 hours and then increment 15 minutes up to a max of 3 hours, or have you found certain timings between 2-3 hours work for certain LPs?

I will primarily be treating 180g LPs for the most part that have been purchase over the past 4-5 years. I am certainly starting to become more convinced given your experiences and success rate.

Cheers,
    Vin.

9. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I usually only need one treatment. I’ve gotten down to seeing the timer for 2 1/2 - 3 hours with the temp on low and find I get the same results as medium for 4-5 hours. Someday I may try decreasing time even more but I figure this is pretty safe. It takes a bit of experimentation.

VinBob likes this.
  10. I just got my VF and the Groovy Pouch....did two mildly warped records as a test and they came out perfect. Both were 180g pressings. One brand new, the other maybe 10 years old.

Medium heat (measured 141 with the cheap included probe, and 148 with a Fluke temperature meter. The 1st one I did two sessions exactly as the instructions suggested...2 hours, then let it cool and 2 hours 15 minutes (the 1st session helped but it was not perfectly flat).

The 2nd LP I did one session at 2 hours 15 minutes. Again, perfect.

Number three, also 180g and brand new is in the pouch now. It is more warped than #1 and #2.

The end game for me is my mono Pepper from the 2009 releases. It is still playable but is pretty badly dished. Pissed at myself for not catching that when I bought it. I am going to do quite a few more LPs to make sure that I have a handle on the process before I take a crack at that one.

11. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Appreciate the input/feedback. Interesting that you were able to address the second LP with one 2h 15m session. Was it the 10 year old LP that completed in one session, or the new 180g?

Also, interesting to hear that the low setting seems to work for @sonofjim . Have you tried that? Just curious as using less heat is probably the best method but obviously if its not doing anything, then medium would be the next step.

Interested to hear how you make out with LP number three and any future ones, as my confidence is getting higher in going with this product. Thank You!

Cheers,
    Vin.

BGLeduc likes this.
  12. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

I've flattened severely warped records (resulting in bad skipping) with panes of glass and an oven, so it's totally doable without damaging the record. As said though, slow and steady. Lower heat, long cool/compression period, then repeat as needed until it goes down. In my case, low heat was the lowest heat setting on my gas oven, somewhere in the 125-150 range.

VinBob likes this.
  13. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

And just to add all, no sound quality is being affected by using the Vinyl Flat that anyone can hear correct? I guess as long as there is no damage being done to the grooves and they remain intact, then the audio quality should be as it originally was...

Also, I see the instructions suggest to increase times by 5 minutes - does that work well or is 15 minutes better to go with?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  14. The 1st LP was the 10 year old. The 2nd was new (a month old). I did not see any risk in a 2:15 sessions for #2, although in the interest of science I probably could/should have started with 2:00.

I am really just getting started, so I did not try a flattening session with the low setting. I RTFM :) which recommended the initial test to determine what setting on the heater gave me a 130-150 range and then use that for all sessions going forward.

#3 will be done in 35 minutes, then it will need to sit for a while to cool before I inspect. I will know in a couple hours give or take.

There are some variables at play specific to the ability of the GP to set and hold temperature, the age and thickness of the vinyl, the severity of the warp/dish that you are trying to fix, etc. The instructions that come with the product does say clearly that the initial suggestions for temp and time are conservative. Early days for me with this product, but I am going to stay with the manufacturer's suggestions as long as I have success.

15. Looks like I need to improve my RTFM skills. It does say that for no improvement, increase by 15 but for slight improvement, increase by 5. It was borderline improved when I checked #1 after the first 2:00 session but the extra 15 did get the job done.

We'll see what #3 looks like, but when I get to #4, I will probably just start at 2:00 and see what that gets me.

VinBob likes this.
  16. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Thanks again for the great feedback!

Looking at their PDF instructions, the timings seem to be based off of using an oven which I guess as long as you get to the same temps, is the same thing as using the Groovy Pouch. However, no timings in the table speak to doing two hours and seem to be a lot less. Also, they recommend increments of 10 minutes if having to re-heat. So I guess there is no exact science to this and its a matter of finding something at the lowest heat and timing that works, which will prove to be the safest route...

Cheers,
    Vin.

17. There are separate instructions for Groovy Pouch.

https://b71c15a7-ce88-4050-a151-fcf...d/35132b_7341bc4dd8624159889ffe6c1c7340be.pdf

18. What the AF????? The link I just provided says to start with a 1 Hour initial heat cycle. WFT! Is my ability to RTFM irreparably broken?

No, it is not. The hard copy instructions for GP that came with my VF/GP says an initial cycle of 2 hours at 130-150. I can't post pictures or I would scan it and post it. One would expect that the online version is most current, but I only just got my system on Tuesday, so one would think it too would be current.

VinBob likes this.
  19. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Thank You.

Those instructions also suggests heating for one hour and either 15 or 5 minute increments depending on outcome. I guess the instructions may need some updating as it doesn't reference the three different heating levels (H/M/L) which is what is available today - the instructions just instruct to put the power on until you see an orange light - different to what you have I would assume?

20. The hard copy I have does reference the three level controller.

VinBob likes this.
  21. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Good to know - I guess they need to update the PDF or provide two versions for the different temp comptrollers...

BGLeduc likes this.
  22. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Apologies, I didn't see this post before I posted after! :sigh:

BGLeduc likes this.
  23. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Thanks mate and keep us posted of your results and successes, as this will make a great guide for everyone looking to try one of these!

Cheers,
    Vin.

24. I would say I am 3 for 3. This was a new 180g Pet Sounds Mono. There is still a very slight wobble, and I mean very slight. This was a single session, 2:15 at medium setting (about 145 I would say). I took the advice of the manufacturer and decided that this was good enough. The remaining slight wobble is not enough to worry me. My take is "Let's not make the perfect the enemy of the good". I should run it through another cycle but I have many more LPs that are in greater need of attention.

Just into the pouch is a recent Sean Magee cut of Rush 2112. That was has a very pronounced, asymmetrical dish to it. Likely the worst of the lot thus far. I should have returned it. I am timing this one to 2:00, still medium heat.

25. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Awesome :righton: - thanks for the feedback which is really helpful and certainly would suggest this is a good tool and much needed, as I probably get 3 out of 10 LP's which are perfectly flat or close to being.

Are you finding the heat is fairly consistent from one session to the next at the same hearting level? Also, have you listened to the LP after to see whether there is any change in audio quality?

Good luck with the Rush 2122! ;)

Cheers,
    Vin.