Vinyl forum

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Mar 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

How about this solution, start a forum called "Strictly Vinyl" on this website. That way the vinyl fans won't have to deal with those who aren't so ferverent about it.

Hey, I AM presenting ideas to alleviate conflict and hostility around here since many people are not open to diverse opinion.

2. John Oteri

John Oteri New Member In Memoriam

Hi Grant,

I love reading your posts by the way, both here and the old DCC Forum. You are an R&B lover of the highest order!

I guess this Tom Port guy pushes your buttons. Yeah, mine too, as I have been reading the back posts. But, heck, it's amusing at least.

If a seperate Vinyl Forum is put into place, it won't be long before we have a CD Forum. And then---Ta da: Hi-Rez Highway. Bingo: We have created Audio Asylum all over again.

I know Steve pretty well (or it seems so, reading all of his posts and interviews down through the years). And I'm sure he would be opposed to that type of segregation on his forum.

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I think we are getting too serious here, Grant. I hesitate to post:

I don't like your idea because it's too diverse from the norm.

;)

That is supposed to be a joke. But if people posted a Vinyl Question, they should state that in the header. But I am vinyl / CD versatile, and I don't mind owning great copies of whatever music in either format. I think I'd miss something if we had two forums.

Sorry for the supposed "joke".

4. Rspaight

Rspaight New Member

I'd like to think the vinyl diehards, CD diehards, and the format agnostics could get along to the point that we wouldn't need split forums.

I mean, someone who doesn't want to deal with the expense and hassle of high-quality LP playback ought to be able to get an answer about the merits of a particular CD (or SACD or DVD-A) without incurring the wrath of those don't believe you can listen to music on digital. I think Steve's DCC discs, at the very least, disprove this statement.

Likewise, no one should be ridiculed if they prefer vinyl. Lots of people really like the sound of vinyl, and with good reason. If you've got the time and money (and good stable floors and no housecats :)), it can be very rewarding.

Vinyl and digital are both means to an end. This forum ought to be about the end (good quality music reproduction), not the means. If the man who this forum is named after believes you can get there via both roads, that's good enough for me.

Ryan

5. Grant

Being a "person of color" in an audiophile world of mostly white folk, I don't like segregation, either! And I suppose the vinyl forum would generate the lion's share of posts, but what are we gonna do about those who are less tolerant of those who like digital?

I buy and listen to vinyl. I buy lots of it. I just don't listen to it in the same way some others do. So I don't have problems with vinyl advocates, except when thet try to tell me it's better. I have ears and a critical one, at that. Hell, i'm almost 40. I grew up with vinyl, but I never loved it.

6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Hi Grant!

I have to side with John and some others. We can't be format racist. Tis not the right thing. It owuld be like me bashing solid state. :(

Don't forget - CD collecting can be just as mad. Issues, imports, care, rarities, even the budget bins - very much like vinyl in many respects.

I'm a big vinyl hog, but I still listen to my CDRs, CDs, tape, MDs and DATs. Heck, even my reels!

7. Grant

...or can't afford it...

8. Rspaight

Rspaight New Member

Sheesh -- you got that right. Go find the best version of Quadrophenia on CD. Off the top of my head, I can think of seven distinct versions. One of which is the usual answer, another of which is my answer. :)

Ryan

9. Sam

Sam Senior Member

But Grant, aren't you complaining about the same thing that I am? You don't like it if I say "vinyl rules" but I am supposed to be tolerante when you say, in so many words, that "digital rules."

We both have ears and both hear what we hear. This information should be shared on this forum in one area. How else are you and I ever going to possibly see (hear) the others opinions and learn if we have separate forums?

10. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

Just a random thought, but isn't constantly throwing everything
    into it's own little niche part of the reason radio sucks so bad? I mean if you play Otis you can't play Nirvana! What's up with that?
    Diversity is what makes this forum so much fun. Can't we please all play together? I need my Lps and I need my Cds.

11. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

If you separate the formats, it becomes a bit snobbish and counterproductive. It's about music.

12. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Yup, music is music. Whether it's on vinyl or cd. Whether it's Waylon or Wagner or Zappa. The point is to enjoy what you like and maybe expand some along the way.

13. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

Grant,

I think it's more of an economical and cultural thing than a racial thing. In the Far Fast, in places like Hong Kong, Japan, and Taiwan, you may find more audiophiles per capita.

I don't like stereotyping people based on their "races". IMO, all people are of the same race, the Homo sapiens. And white is a color, too. That being said, I know where you're coming from on segregation.

But I digressed. I think your concern has its basis. However, it applies to other kinds of classification as well, such as rock vs. jazz vs. classical.

The real underlying issue is the popularity of the SH Forums, the Music Corner in particular. With so many members posting so many messages all the time, the ones you're interested in could get buried in the midst of others. I don't have an answer for that, except for using the various filter/search features available here.

14. Grant

But I DO tolerate the claims of vinyl advocates.

You and I may read other people's opinions and ideas, but many do not, as you and I both well know from being kicked. This give the less open-minded an option so we avoid the hostility.

I don't like it either, but the ugly truth of the world, as we all know from 9/11 is that we CAN'T all get along. You can't change people's thinking and you can't force people to accept differences.

Timmy Thomas will just have to keep singing "Why Can't We Live Together", while Wilbert Harrison will still sing "Let's Work Together", all while Henry and Annie are trying to work with each other! And, nobody's listening to Prince yell "Let's Work".. and so on and so on and skooby doo-be doo-be doo-be...

Now, how about those of us who separate their collections by musical style?:D

15. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

It's an interesting idea Grant, but I have to agree with John above - I'd like to keep the forum as "flat" as possible. From experience, having lots of little subforums makes for difficult posting. Should it be in the speaker or vintage forum? The digital or hardware forum? As it stands there's already some confusion about what should be in the hardware and music forums :)

Anyways, please do remember that if someone always drives you batty, you can add them to your ignore list. Works really well!

16. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Keep the vinyl and cds together. I know I talk a lot about vinyl, but I buy a lot of cds too. I listen to all kinds of music, however I don't always care for what's being discussed, but still I may have a tendency to listen to something new,when things are being discussed.Besides, if the best version happens to be on the opposite format, at least you get to read both veiws!!:p

17. Grant

Don't forget various pressings of both LPs AND CDs.:D

Tom, I know exactly what you mean about listening for the best pressings. I already do that but never to the extent that you have, or even Steve has. In fact, I have been known to do this for CDs as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.