"Vinyl Me Please" Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hogues, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Because the pressing plants are all overbooked and overloaded, and it’s taken VMP six months to press the new Fleet Foxes album, and they still haven’t gotten that done, and no one can just pick up the phone and say “I need 5,000 records next week”?

I wonder if these 500 records they dropped yesterday were actually newly pressed, or were just old stock or a warehouse find.

2. Muffinbutt

Muffinbutt Forum Resident

I bet it was the latter. Like I previously posted, I was lucky to get MM..Food VMP sealed last week for $80. I’ve seen the pink and green vinyl reissue go over $100 same as the VMP version.
    Supposedly, they are making more of the green/pink from rhymesayers.

Spencer R likes this.
  3. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Who knows? I think the consensus on the recent Neil Young Massey Hall was that it was a repress, since it was on standard weight wax.

VMP product is all over the place...I expected Ask The Ages to take longer, then all of a sudden it was in the mail.

I don't care about Fleet Foxes at all, but it seems like that's one that's taking a long time for everybody. One of my favorite local shops has had it on pre-order since last summer.

4. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I was informed that Shotgun Willie is an all AAA cut and that, when possible, VMP country will be AAA.

5. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

The latest Taylor Swift album is taking six months to press as well. I just got the new Craft One Step of John Coltrane’s Lush Life, and it has a copyright date of 2019 on the album jacket, so it was in the works for close to two years before it shipped. Whether or not you care about Fleet Foxes, the reality is that every vinyl title is taking months and months to produce. I would guess that VMP is working at least six months ahead on their Records of the Month, probably farther ahead than that. Just to have the records ready to ship when their official release day finally rolls around.

The notion that they could call up any pressing plant and get 5,000 new copies of the MF Doom album pressed in a week or a month makes no sense. I would have to assume the 500 copies they released yesterday were old stock or dead stock.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    Lost In The Flood likes this.
  6. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

And the people afraid of LPs pressed from hi-res digital files can exhale.

7. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

They also posted that Shotgun Willie could be the best sounding VMP release to date. They won’t be pressing them at QRP, which sucks.

8. DandyDancing

DandyDancing Loser of licence, Ex-driver

Did I spot a hint at news of a metal track tomorrow in today's newsletter?

recstar24 likes this.
  9. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

An anthology box.

10. DandyDancing

11. DandyDancing

Cool, do we know any of the titles yet?

12. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I don’t.

13. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Spent a lazy Sunday morning listening to Shotgun Willie on streaming. The VMP country track has already turned me on to a new album I never would have checked out otherwise.

14. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Did you sit around in your underwear?

mpayan, oldjollymon and malfano like this.
  15. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

Possibly a Slayer or Metal Blade Records anthology based off of the sword emoji?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  16. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I personally have zero interest in metal, but, as with country, this is another underexploited genre that could give VMP a license to print money. If they did an Iron Maiden, Motley Crue, Van Halen, or Ratt album on one of their crazy splatter vinyl patterns I bet it would sell, and sell bigly.

Lucca90, eddiel and AFA like this.
  17. Sneezyachew

Sneezyachew Forum Resident

Although I have a lot of interest in off-kilter metal with math rock, avant-garde jazz, or classical elements, and *some* classic albums of the genre itself, I don’t have high hopes this could possibly be oh so targeted...

...I’d go for an AAA Ozzy Sabbath Anthology tho!

oldjollymon likes this.
  18. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

Wow a metal anthology! It will be interesting to see who it is though if it's a big name I probably have the albums already.

19. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

Juggsnelson and WithinYourReach like this.
  20. DandyDancing

Splatter vinyl? Digitally sourced? A bit of a let down.

21. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

Nothing wrong with digitally sourced vinyl as long as it's done properly. I'm pretty interested in it.

22. DandyDancing

Paused my umpteenth listen to Paradise and Lunch to taste test. I don't know if this is my cup of tea. I do like Ozzy Sabbath tho.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  23. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

I opened a thread regarding this Anthology. More info about the Metal Blade Anthology

What's Included
    • In partnership with Revolver Magazine, we chart the evolution of metal and Metal Blade through this 8 album Anthology

• Lacquers cut by Barry Grint at Alchemy Mastering at AIR from 24-bit WAV masters; pressed on high-quality 180g color splatter vinyl and housed in heavyweight, direct-to-board jackets

• Liner notes booklet by J. Bennett, acclaimed metal writer at Revolver, Decibel, and Bandcamp

• Exclusive access to our five-episode podcast series featuring interviews with Metal Blade founder Brian Slagel, and hosted by metal writer J. Bennett

[​IMG]
    Omen
    Warning of Danger (1985)

[​IMG]
    Fates Warning
    The Spectre Within (1985)

[​IMG]
    Gwar
    America Must Be Destroyed (1991)

[​IMG]
    Cannibal Corpse
    Butchered At Birth (1991)

gabbleratchet7 and Juggsnelson like this.
  24. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

Rest of the titles

[​IMG]
    King Diamond
    Voodoo (1998)

[​IMG]
    The Black Dahlia Murder
    Miasma (2005)

[​IMG]
    Amon Amarth
    Twilight of the Thunder God (2008)

[​IMG]
    Armored Saint
    La Raza (2010)

WithinYourReach and Juggsnelson like this.
  25. hitmanhart408

hitmanhart408 Forum Resident

i'm on the fence about this one but I'm leaning towards passing on it. I like metal but Cannibal Corpse type stuff is a little too extreme for me and I can't deal with the vocals/lack of vocal melody.

GentleSenator and Sneezyachew like this.