"Vinyl Me Please" Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hogues, Apr 7, 2019.

1. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Didn’t know VMP was also releasing this.
    I have the cloud hills.
    The packaging is thin. The vinyl is even thinner. But it DOES play quietly. I was surprised, frankly.

the sound on Deloused was not much better than the CD when I did a live A/B comparison. Kind of disappointing compared to the hype. Have not yet received Frances yet.

Skylab likes this.
  2. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

I have not yet done a comparison to the silver OG vinyl, I should get around to it.
    The new cloud hills mastering was not much better than the CD; I frequently forgot which input I was listening to when switching.
    Is the VMP the same mastering as Cloud Hills?

sorry, late to this thread and had no idea this was coming!

3. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Yes same mastering

chris8519 and Bartley Butsford like this.
  4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Super muffled! That's a joke based on the last word of the title. :D

5. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Don't joke about sound quality. Have you forgotten what forums you're on? ;)

Preston and Strat-Mangler like this.
  6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Does anyone know when the Bill Withers album will be released?

7. Skylab

Skylab Arriving somewhere but not here

Huh. I thought the sound quality of the Clouds Hill LP was significantly better when I compared it to the original CD release (which I have). But that’s just how it sounded to me, in my system.

chris8519 likes this.
  8. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

August Classics

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  9. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

I played back the CD audio through Roon to my gungnir multibit. I think it makes even mediocre red book audio sound pretty good and resolving.
    The vinyl was maybe 5%-10% better than the CD when I compared them live, in sync. The sound stage was slightly wider and treble was slightly tipped up, giving the illusion of the more detail.
    Usually when I play a digital and vinyl mastering in sync and they’re from the same mastering/files my equipment ends up sounding almost identical, so much so that I forget which input I am listening to. That’s how the MV pressing sounded to me.

Wondering if you did the same when comparing?

Also sounds like the VMP press was not as good as Cloud Hills. Shame.

Skylab likes this.
  10. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Checking your equipment and yeah, I’d say your analog front end is significantly more resolving than mine! So maybe no surprise it sounded better.
    Damn I need to step up my equipment game. Sigh.

Skylab and Echoes Myron like this.
  11. Aleksander86

Aleksander86 Forum Resident

I had no idea about Reba's album. For the cover and for the title, it is a record that I would never have bought. But I'm really enjoying it! And it sounds fantastic!

12. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i think most folks may be inclined to turn it off during the first 1-2 songs but further listening is definitely rewarding.

Juggsnelson and Aleksander86 like this.
  13. Aleksander86

Yes it is. I mean, is not the kind of music I listen to, but I think it's a beautiful, strong and great sounding album.

14. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

DHamilton likes this.
  15. birchstick

birchstick Forum Resident

Just dropped the needle on King Curtis Live at the Fillmore West. It’s an upgrade from my OG that’s a bit noisy. - it’s a tough call regarding which one I actually prefer. The crowd is more engaging / turned up in the mix on the OG, giving it a little bit more of a live party feeling. The VMP sounds great, and has more of an audiophile feel to it with more distinct separation. Regardless, awesome live album, and a great choice for the Classics series.

Bradd, jwoverho and Juggsnelson like this.
  16. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Jeez, Aretha I Never.... Sounds flipping amazing. Mono. Mono. Mono.

Just beautiful sounding. Thanks VMP!

Preston, Dignan2000, jgrillo and 3 others like this.
  17. Aleksander86

One of my favourite records. The VMP sounds amazing!

Preston likes this.
  18. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

Got my replacement copy of De-Loused on Saturday and while there's still some noise at the beginning of sides A and B, it's far less pronounced than the original copy I'd received. It's hardly noticeable when played at a normal volume. I think I'll keep this copy, because yet another replacement copy may have the very same defect. Oh well.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  19. mikizee

mikizee Forum Resident

Was so excited for De-Loused to arrive! It arrived today, and I made the mistake of reading the Discogs reviews first, which are reporting the same issues noted in this thread. Got a sinking feeling. Put on Side A and my worst feelings were confirmed, loud static noise. Same on side B. Side C & D were very badly warped. Sent off videos to VMP for a replacement, but don't hold much hope that it will be better. Using GZ for this pressing was a big mistake by VMP.

Hattipper and Juggsnelson like this.
  20. AFCAD

AFCAD Forum Resident

Yours must have been from the same batch/shipment as mine (I'm in Victoria), same issues with sides A & B. At least my sides C & D were flat I guess.

They were really quick with getting back to me and will send another over - saying that they have had some success with replacements, but who knows...I hope that someone is having a robust discussion with GZ! Have found VMP pretty good to deal with on the rare occasion I have had an issue.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  21. mikizee

mikizee Forum Resident

Good to know! I hope I hear from them soon. I submitted the request through their Zen desk site. I just went back to that page and tried to sign in, and its telling me my username and password is incorrect - despite me using the same username and password on the regular VMP site and it working. Very strange.

AFCAD likes this.
  22. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Oh no, my Mars Volta was delivered today. I haven’t had a chance to check it out yet. Fingers crossed!

Juggsnelson likes this.
  23. AFCAD

AFCAD Forum Resident

I just used the contact link at the bottom of the page on the website. Sent query last night, had response this morning, can't be critical of that!

Juggsnelson and mikizee like this.
  24. AFCAD

AFCAD Forum Resident

Good luck!!

SJR likes this.
  25. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

My replacement was sent out hours after I sent them an email so full marks for that! Let's hope it sounds good. My original copy was ok once the music really kicked in

Hattipper and AFCAD like this.