"Vinyl Me Please" Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hogues, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Same here and got a replacement shipped out right away.

2. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Dignan2000 and GentleSenator like this.
  3. TRS9082

TRS9082 Forum Resident

Added back country this month for Dolly, looks great. Can't go wrong with AAA RKS at this point. From the looks of it VMP went the extra mile for this one.

ausamerika, Spencer R and Juggsnelson like this.
  4. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

The Beverly Glenn-Copeland and Withers records look interesting but in the end I decided to swap the Withers for Abbey Lincoln.

5. Barney_Tabasco

Barney_Tabasco Forum Resident

Wondering if the Withers and Copeland are worth sticking with.

6. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I have never heard of Beverly Glenn-Copeland before.
    Should I keep it or swap? I am getting the Whithers for sure but I am not very excited about this album.
    Am I wrong?

7. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

I swapped for Withers ..also had Queen come up as a swap option ..shame I’ve already got it

5-String likes this.
  8. Barney_Tabasco

Can you only swap for what they suggest or can you exchange for anything on the site?

9. sailingsinkingships

sailingsinkingships Forum Resident

There is a pool of previous records of the month and store drops that appear in swaps. If you are new to VMP there is probably some good options for swaps. However, after being a member for several months the swap options seem pretty stagnant. This month is an exception. They have some VMP 100 represses (Queen and Gorillaz) which are highly sought after. Though most VMP members probably have them already.

DHamilton likes this.
  10. Michael Ries

Michael Ries Forum Resident

Just got my replacement copy of Mars Volta yesterday which unfortunately has the same pressing issue as the first copy. Going to try one more time for a replacement and if I don't get a good one, just gonna give up, though it sounds like there are good ones out there. Really love this album, so fingers crossed!

Juggsnelson likes this.
  11. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

I am swapping either for ATLiens or Dolly. I couldn't even stream it through once I hated it so much.

DHamilton and 5-String like this.
  12. MrChad

MrChad Forum Resident

I’m getting Bill Withers and Outkast this month, and likely Dolly Parton as well. I swapped for store credit last month and CS was able to quickly apply that to one of my add-on tracks.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  13. Barney_Tabasco

Queens gone! Darn it. So I can only choose from the list?

14. Barney_Tabasco

Can I get credit then use that for anything instore?

15. sailingsinkingships

That’s correct. You hit the swap button on your record of the month and it will present you the available records. I got on about 15 minutes late but was still able to swap for the Queen and Gorillaz.

16. sailingsinkingships

There is also an option to swap for store credit. I did this last month for Spiritualized. It will only give you credit for your monthly membership cost which varies depending upon which plan you joined with.

Sometimes the store has options that do not appear in swaps. There are also swap exclusives that are not in the store.

17. Barney_Tabasco

Confusing ha. So I I request credit I may have a bigger choice in future?

18. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I decided -at least until I change my mind again- to stick with the Beverly Glenn Copeland album.
    I just streamed it via Qobuz and it is a nice pchychedelic folk album. I do not know what happened to him afterwards with all that pseudo experimental ambient synths, but this is a great album. It reminds me of Tim Buckley.
    I am also getting the Withers cause I also got the Classic track.

Lost In The Flood and Isitquiex like this.
  19. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I’m happy someone decided to sell their Abbey Lincoln in Discogs! I didn’t feel like joining VMP again… should be arriving here later on this week :)

Barney_Tabasco likes this.
  20. sailingsinkingships

It is likely the longer you are a member that there will be something that will be of interest. I was hoping to swap for some credit this month with an eye to a possible repress of the Grateful Dead Anthology in the future. Couldn’t pass up the Queen or Gorillaz though since I am a newer member and did not have a chance at them before.

Barney_Tabasco likes this.
  21. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

I went ahead and added Essentials track and swapped for Queen just now.

Sweet I wanted to get a place in line for WU tang next month anyway was not expecting Queen to be there

Also have Dolly coming which I'm excited for

22. petzmark

petzmark Forum Resident

I never even saw an email. And I checked the New This Week page a couple times during the week. Which album?

23. petzmark

petzmark Forum Resident

Received and spun my Janis Joplin Pearl yesterday (finally!). Can't say that I'm too impressed. Pressed at RTI, but it's not particularly quiet in between tracks. Also, lots of distortion on the loud parts, especially during "Cry Baby."

Maybe that's just the way the source material will always sound, but I was expecting something a little more audiophile-sounding. Glossy cover is nice, but there is no insert. I suppose if you want the better-sounding Pearl, you have to cough up the big bucks for the MOFI One-Step.

24. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Is the Queen good? I thought those 1/2 speed masters at Abbey Road get so-so reviews? I don't have this album.

GentleSenator likes this.
  25. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

Pearl is pretty easy to find a clean early 70s copy of for pretty cheap. Unless you get the MoFi I doubt any of these new digital reissues are gonna sound anything as good as the originals.