"Vinyl Me Please" Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hogues, Apr 7, 2019.

1. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

I'm glad this is an anonymous message board because I have a confession to make.

I bought Reba - For my Broken Heart for my wife last month for her birthday.

I reached for it today to listen to and I have to confess this is a thing of beauty.

Great songs to listen to alone and the sound on this pressing is incredible especially for not being AAA

That's it now somebody wake me up

2. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

The Withers is great. I love that album. It's his last classic before going all AOR. I have an OP but was still tempted to get this one - I ended up deciding against, but I wouldn't have any fears on ordering it if I didn't already have one.

DeRosa likes this.
  3. Eamon

Eamon Forum Resident

It was Swim, Swim

4. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

I am excited for the Withers. I swapped out the Copeland, which I listened to and didn't really dig. I'm sticking with the Dolly Parton album. Streamed that today and enjoyed it. The country track is getting me to purchase albums I would have never considered previously, although, to be fair, I did skip the Reba.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    bjlefebvre and Juggsnelson like this.
  5. mikizee

mikizee Forum Resident

I swapped out for Night at the Opera, I was going to go with the Withers album but the reviews on Discogs for Queen were glowing, and I don't have that album.

Haven't heard back from VMP re a replacement for Mars Volta yet :(

6. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

yeah, i was and still am perplexed by how desirable the VMP version is. is the color really that cool? this is the only one of the half-speed masters that i bought, and while it sounds fine to me, it's nothing special either.

Juggsnelson and mikemoon like this.
  7. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

So before I contact VMP, is the noise I recorded on this video, the first time I tried to play side A of the VMP Mars Volta, the horrible quality-control issue that everyone is talking about? I've never heard this album before, so I don't really have a point of reference.

DHamilton, Hagakure and Michael Ries like this.
  8. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

It should sound like this, with no crackling noises.

CraigVC likes this.
  9. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

As I’ve said above, I was surprised by how much I like the Reba album. Some of the songs, such as “Bobby,” with the husband in jail for pulling the plug on his wife, teeter on the edge of the maudlin that country has always flirted with, but it really is a good record. I hate “real country” snobs, but the real country snob in me never would have given Reba a chance if not for VMP picking her as an album of the month. Job well done, VMP.

10. t4t3r

t4t3r Forum Resident

Waiting for my fifth and sixth copies of Mars Volta to ship (I ordered two copies originally). If I can’t get at least one good one this time I’ll be going with credit. The CH version does sound a little better despite using the same mastering, but the VMP packaging is head and shoulders better than CH.

I did hop on the site early today to check swaps and I was happy to be able to get King Curtis. Really excited to give it a listen. There were some really good options available today so I hope everyone was able to get something they wanted and/or missed out on previously.

11. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Swapped the Beverly for Outkast - Atliens

recstar24 and bruinuclafan like this.
  12. mikizee

mikizee Forum Resident

Everyone is reporting that support replies within a couple of hours... its been 24 hours for me and still nothing. I'm getting antsy!

Juggsnelson likes this.
  13. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Thanks! I've just submitted my video in a support request to VMP, asking for a replacement.

14. Michael Ries

Michael Ries Forum Resident

That is exactly the sound I’m hearing on the two copies I’ve received so far.

DHamilton likes this.
  15. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I'd never heard of Beverly Glenn-Copeland before, but after giving it a listen, I'm definitely keeping this selection. Love it.

16. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

That's it lol. Exactly how mine sounded.

17. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Two months in a row and I kept all 4 tracks, might do the same next month. Swapped Beverly for the Doors S/T. I've heard good thinks about this one and I originally passed on it. I have the AP Stereo.

Also, I want to give the Beverly album more listening time and maybe pick it up as a swap later. It's not immediately up my alley but that's part of what I love about VMP, the exposure to new things.

18. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

I liked the music but not Beverlys vocals which is why i swapped, plus i wanted Atliens but didnt want to spend another $35 this month to add it.

september ill be down for all 4 though

bjlefebvre and mikemoon like this.
  19. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

Coming up on the end of 1 year at the grandfathered ‘old price’ ($300/year) Can’t really fathom laying down the current monthly price. It’s too much. Even with the price of vinyl increasing and inflation. Has anyone successfully negotiated staying at the old price since they did the price hike late last year and offered limited old pricing to existing members?

mikemoon likes this.
  20. J Borland

J Borland Forum Resident

I let my membership lapse at end of June and still have not heard from VMP.

domesticmachine likes this.
  21. petzmark

petzmark Forum Resident

I was afraid of that. I am filled with great sadness.

Eamon likes this.
  22. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Well the replacement has the same issues.....actually my original copy I received sounds better lol. I just let them know so let's see what happens.

23. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

Nancy Sinatra - Boots lmited to 500.

Boots

Gavaxeman and LoveandTheft like this.
  24. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I have a like new mono original pressing of this, yet am somehow tempted to buy this VMP stereo pressing. :sigh:

25. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Looks nice, I had some store credit and pulled the trigger.

BlackCircleVinyl likes this.