"Vinyl Me Please" Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hogues, Apr 7, 2019.

1. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

I think Philly Soul fits into the Soul category.

bliss44 and Shawn like this.
  2. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I think your speculation is likely. It would fit the Classic category much better. I guess I'm ok either way since I have an original that is a TML cut IIRC.

Seems I might be stacking up some credit, I might put it towards a boxset at some point if they release one that is enticing enough.

bjlefebvre and Juggsnelson like this.
  3. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

October I'm swapping but November and December look very solid to me. Any time I get excited about at least 2 titles in a month I think it's solid. October is a total bust though.

NOV-Gram Parsons, Freddie King (those two will probably go down as being the best Classics and Country ROTM this year)

DEC-Meters, Buck Owens, Classics TBD (Meters is a home run if they do it AAA. That album slaps hard. Buck Owens live, ya'll are in for a treat. Almost certainly will be AAA considering the other Buck Owens releases by Sundazed this year have all been AAA.)

Those are two good months at least even if you aren't into Usher.

4. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

But that’s not the album being allegedly reissued.

5. karmapolice

karmapolice Forum Resident

I signed up for 3 month in July so contract up but says in account billing on 30th so does that mean if no nothing I am month to month?

6. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I think it renews for what is in your settings which would probably be 3-month unless you cancel. Maybe you could reset it month to month if that is desired.

7. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

October, Teddy Pendergrass is Philly Soul as the genre

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  8. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

A sound strategy. Some weak albums in the next few months for sure but I know there are drops I will want over the next few months.

mikemoon likes this.
  9. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

I listened to a couple of the cuts. To me, not soul but r & b or at the most soul plus disco. Either way, ugh.

DHamilton likes this.
  10. t4t3r

t4t3r Forum Resident

No need to stack credit when you can apply store credit to your membership each month.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  11. FuturisticWorkshop

FuturisticWorkshop Forum Resident

Between October and December, I can only find 3 titles I’m excited for and getting. Grizzly Bear makes absolutely zero sense as an “essential”. This kind of choice is what makes me quit at least twice a year. Last month they had great picks for every category. Now they have mostly passable title for the next quarter. Very frustrating that they don’t do more things like they have with Outkast. Most of their best albums have been reissued through VMP. I wish they’d do some truly essential albums that won’t get the reissue treatment by mofi or speakers corner or whatever. Parliament’s Mothership Connection would make a great pick. I’m still waiting on an email after 3 attempts to them about a swap and return they never sent

12. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

"Essential" is a matter of taste. I don't like Grizzly Bear, either, but they're a fairly popular indie band. I'll swap it for something else.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  13. I’m just going to continue signing up for a month when there’s something I definitely want and then canceling after purchase. It costs a few more dollars but that way I get just what I want (and can hopefully wait for a few reviews to come in first). That said, I’m certainly interested in the forthcoming Freddie King LP (one of my favorite late ‘60’s/early 70’s electric blues albums by anyone) and Grievous Angel. I like the Teddy Pendergass album too, but originals - which sound pretty darn good - can be had very cheaply and one of those is probably good enough for me.

14. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Grizzly Bear’s Veckatimest was a massive record for indie rock at its 2009-10 peak. If you’re between 30-40 years old, you either had that record or heard “Two Weeks” everywhere you went. Beyoncé and Jay-Z were showing up to their shows in Brooklyn, which I’m sure the VMP liner notes will mention.

15. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

I'm due to renew soon at a higher price and Im not crazy about most of what is coming up. I've always been a fan of VMP and will probably keep the membership but I hope they have some good store drops coming up.

16. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I really like Grizzly Bear but can see how it just short of what many are thinking of as the Essential list. I have the original pressing and would imagine it's still in print. In all fairness, it was a very well received album when it dropped. They were kind of indie darlings and one of those unique bands of that era along with TV on the Radio, Dirty Projectors...which were also Essential tracks from VMP.

Last month was a really good month, one of the better in recent memory. I'm hoping at some point we get Aquemini (their opus) remaster at least as a store drop (black vinyl, RKS cut).

Speaking of Parliament, I'd love to see a P-Funk box. I wonder if those masters even exist anymore. There has never been any type of quality AAA reissue for any of their albums. Luckily I have most of Parliament and Funkadelic's original pressings.

When you renew it's paid in full. So if you don't want any tracks that particular month, store credit is the best option. If nothing seems essential, just earn credits until something pops up. Now that you mention it, I guess you could always apply leftover credit one year to a new membership?

17. t4t3r

t4t3r Forum Resident

My point is you don’t have to renew for a year. Just go monthly and swap store credit for membership credit until something comes along that you like. Obviously this isn’t effective if there’s something you want every month, but that’s probably not always case. There’s probably some things you can do with swaps and adding a track during a month you want something to not pay the full price too…

bjlefebvre and Lost In The Flood like this.
  18. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

Yeah, the board's age is showing here. Veckatimest was one of the best albums to come out of (IMO) the peak era of indie rock. 2009 itself was one of the greatest years for indie rock: Merriweather Post Pavilion, Bitte Orca, Phoenix, The xx, Girls, to name a few) with one of those obviously being an essential release already (Phoenix). For VMP's target demo, this is a great pick, especially considering those who fit the demo of "indie rock fan" these days were either too young to listen to this when it came out, or more likely were definitely not listening on vinyl.

19. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

This board will criticize VMP for being an indie rock hipster record of the month club, and then criticize it again for acting like it.

20. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

When we think about it they cover all categories pretty well. I'm sure it gets challenging to make each month's selection in a different track the best of the best. This is why I'm always ok if one of the tracks is interesting. Too many good tracks have hit my wallet hard the last few months.

Some of their indie releases are why I originally joined, as well as hip-hop. When they added the Classic track, it became a favorite many times and is usually my default (less duplicates for me). Now we even have a Country track. Who would've thought.

bloodlemons and Gabe Walters like this.
  21. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Congratulations on not liking an album.

That album is the philly soul sound. You’re getting caught up with genres and semantics. Ironically, that label and the philly soul sound is exactly a mix of elements you describe. Has been common knowledge for decades.

El Dave, noname74, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  22. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

I’m sure you’re right as he’s not someone I’d listen to.

23. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

That's my plan. I don't mind them offering stuff I don't like for a couple of months. Makes it easier to do swaps and save credits for something. And I'm sure there are club members who are happy to have those titles.

Yup. I've got most of the originals, but it would be nice to own clean copies that may or may not have been damaged by someone ingesting LSD (or whatever) at the time of playing.

Shawn and mikemoon like this.
  24. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

People are getting so spoiled they want 4 bangers every month lol. My wallet can’t handle it, I’m looking forward to cancelling my add ons and just sticking with the 1 record primary sub haha

25. karmapolice

karmapolice Forum Resident

I like grizzly bear but it's not a hard title to get outside of VMP for $25 so not sure they adding something except the color of the vinyl which often leads to noisier record

For those who want indie release for October would suggest getting the run out groove release for october which will be Ndegeocello Bitter never on vinyl before.

I wish VMP would focus more on titles that were never released on vinyl

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021