"Vinyl Me Please" Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hogues, Apr 7, 2019.

1. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

I swapped for Ready to Die. I’m reading writer (and ESPN Around the Horn panelist) Justin Tinsley’s new biography on the Notorious BIG, so was timely!

WithinYourReach and mikemoon like this.
  2. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Similar conclusion. I used to only add 1 track or so in the early days but then at one time I was adding multiple tracks for about a year and made a few mistakes like Erroll Garner.

Each year, I go back and look at my purchases around renewal time and the conclusion is VMP overall is quality, at least 1 good title per month. Many of the Classic haven't appealed to me lately. The Hip-Hop is typically 1 out of 3. The Country is nice on occasion. The Essentials are sometimes gold like The Low End Theory but still probably 1 out of 4 for me now. I don't binge on the big box sets (yet). Some of the AAA exclusive drops are nice (The Meters).

Recently, I've allowed my credits to build up to $121.00, so I'm being even more discerning. Where is that Impulse box! LMAO.

With over 2,000 albums in my collection, even the really good ones gather some dust (until they don't).

3. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Forum Resident

This one?
    Take It Away: Best of the Lost Transcriptions for Tiffany Music 1946-1947

4. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

Yes. The music is fun western swing and the recording SQ is quite good. There's one song that has an verse with an unfortunate use of an of-the-time racist term (the Marx Bros used it in Duck Soup), but otherwise gold. I picked up Vol 2 on Discogs, which has a lot of their hits, and was thinking of getting Vol 7, which has them doing contemporary R&B ("You Keep A' Knockin'") so kind of made me curious.

RockyRaccoon and gabbleratchet7 like this.
  5. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Im sticking with my country track, i dont have any Patsy so this will be great. Also the vinyl color looks great.

and thus is my last month for membership. Will have to see what the next 3 are and decide if inwant to cancel before July 1 of reup.

6. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

Going with Patsy Cline for June and swapped Justice for Sigur Rós - Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust.

7. Ragged Glory

Ragged Glory Forum Resident

I agree - on balance, it's a great offering. I've just been going OTT with adding another 2 or 3 tracks and ending up with stuff I'm not really bothered about. I recommend the Anthologies though, if something comes up that really catches your eye. I got Philadelphia International, which is outstanding, and the Quincy Jones one, which I'm still working through. Don't regret either purchase. I'm annoyed I missed out on Metal Blade.

8. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I certainly know the Anthologies can be of high quality. I probably should have flirted with the Grateful Dead offering but I have some of the Mofis on pre-order and just trying to investigate and learn the band slowly, not a super fan.

The Herbie one was interesting but too many repeats for me. Trying to stop so many duplicates. I did order Takin' Off on the aftermarket. :laugh:

The Motown one looked beautiful too, I bought a few of those by themselves on the aftermarket.

My good friend ordered the Metal Blade. He ended up selling it back locally. I think he only like a few of the albums and the SQ was average but that has more to do with the source material. I'm sure it's a gem for certain fans.

If they do an Impulse Anthology, I'm on that one.

GentleSenator likes this.
  9. Ragged Glory

Ragged Glory Forum Resident

Doesn't surprise me about Metal Blade. Some of those albums from that era sound like they were recorded on a Talkboy. Not exactly 'audiophile quality', whatever that means. I'm with you on the Grateful Dead as well - I'm starting to listen to some of their stuff, but I'm not sure I could justify that hefty box. That being said, it's rumoured to be getting a repress and I'm sure I'd end up considering it, depending on what else was coming out at the same time.

mikemoon likes this.
  10. Swordsandchains

that metal blade box just seems so unappealing, theres nothing it it that hasnt been available recently or was currently available.

11. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

I swapped Justice for the Lightning Hopkins. Anyone have that one and can comment on the sound? It's cut by RKS so should be alright, but still curious ;)

12. Muffinbutt

Muffinbutt Forum Resident

I wish the impulse box would be put on pre order soon. Seems like it has been a long wait for that to happen

13. Muffinbutt

Muffinbutt Forum Resident

Some had issues with marks on one side of vinyl and some had issue with it being noisy. Mine was flat and pretty quiet for most part. Couple pops on between tracks but didn’t effect play.

Beaker73 likes this.
  14. Swordsandchains

considering its never been announced officially, cant say its been a long wait. Next set probably wont be announced until august for the fall. Willie box isnt out until july

15. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

Is it possible that VMP is waiting to open their new pressing plant in Colorado in order to release the Impulse VMP Anthology?

WithinYourReach likes this.
  16. Swordsandchains

maybe, and if thats the case, youre probably going to be waiting until spring next year at the earliest then

17. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I wonder since they remastered Low End Theory if they will eventually release Midnight Marauders as a RHH track?

I have 2 originals but a good remaster spread over 2 LPs should beat them.

In the past, they have covered multiple RHH titles for legendary artists like De La Soul and Outkast.

In addition, Bizarre Ride would make a nice Essential release.

An store drop exclusive for Aqemeni would be cool. I'd love to compare it to my originals.

mantis4tons and bruinuclafan like this.
  18. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Possibly, I joked that maybe it's their first big project from that plant. Would be a good way to break it in.

WithinYourReach likes this.
  19. WithinYourReach

If they are planning on doing the Impulse boxset as the first anthology release from the new pressing plant, that'll be a sure way to gain instant cred if all goes well.

Hopefully we hear more soon since the original announcement was over 7 months ago.

20. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

I just swapped for Low End Theory based on your praise of it (and a few other people too). Aquemini would be an insta-purchase for me.

mikemoon likes this.
  21. Swordsandchains

there was no announcement

22. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Good for you! I am not a big hip hop fan, but this one is really good and this pressing/mastering sounds insane.

bruinuclafan likes this.
  23. WithinYourReach

Announcement may have been the wrong word to use, but this was the teaser image sent in an email I got then.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  24. Swordsandchains

yes, i got the same email and it was that rotating image i believe with a few pics. But theres never been a single world written about it, only this image exists. Its also listed A-013 which is currently assigned to Willie, so its obviously been pushed back or cancelled.

25. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Swapped for $$