"Vinyl Me Please" Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hogues, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

I was having the same issue . Finally saw movement yesterday, and should get it tomorrow.

2. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

The RSD mono is fantastic . You should pick it up. It seemed to be the consensus pick on last years RSD thread .

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  3. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

man, I know I’ve mentioned this before, but us Chicagoland folk are getting hit. Still have to give much respect though to our USPS for hanging in there and continuing to do the good work.

Mine is showing as being out for delivery today! Excited to hear it, especially with the plangent process in play. I’m not too finicky with my piano warble and pitch, but i can’t wait to hear Errol pitch dead perfect.

Chris Bernhardt and Juggsnelson like this.
  4. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

Oh yeah? I just read some reviews on discogs and a couple people thought the vocals were buried. I would like to pick it up but its quite expensive at the moment, over 100 bucks!

5. jazon

When did the White Stripes 7 inch come out? I just got the email and its already sold out?

edit: i guess they quietly put it in the site last night...geez!

Juggsnelson likes this.
  6. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

some people just don't know how to listen to records.

7. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

I don't get this business model. I am a member of two of their monthly subscriptions. I should at least get a crack at buying these member only items for 24 hours. I don't think that is asking too much.

Jerry James and whosnotwo like this.
  8. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Yeah, kind of a weird choice. But if people like it..so be it.

9. hitmanhart408

hitmanhart408 Forum Resident

Yeah, VMP is so strange. This 7" should have been included in the essential deal. Nonetheless, I was able to grab a copy for free because I had $10 in referral credits.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  10. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

I took a listen as well and it didn't do much for me either (and I'm a a fan of both Albert and Elvis).

Sneezyachew likes this.
  11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Well, I mean, of all the Albert King albums to pick, you know?

12. Bastards! Everyone signed up for the Essentials deal should've been able to get one.

13. Juggsnelson

Very true.

14. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

In the VMP magazine section of the website where he talks about why they chose it, the rationale was to try to reissue those Albert King albums which haven't necessarily been covered. They released one of his for that Stax boxset, followed by this months ROTM.

Or as my friend @Gabe Walters would say, VMP may be turning into the "let's release whatever we are actually able to license and gain access to" subscription service :)

GentleSenator, mpayan and Juggsnelson like this.
  15. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

I just looked at the Discogs page. Every one of the 30 available copies is from a non-U.S. country: Germany, Switzerland, China, Croatia, Israel, etc. So, if you're a U.S. buyer, you'd get killed on shipping charges.

Honestly, I think we need to retire the tired old "you can find used copies for three bucks!" comments that accompany the discussion of almost every reissue on the forum. Very often, it's not true, and it's not really relevant to those of us who have had bad experiences with iffy, over-graded used vinyl on Discogs and eBay. (Smelly LPs are my pet peeve; I've received a lot of records that obviously spent 20 or 30 years in a basement.)

This edition of Magician is superb in every way: it sounds great, and my copy is silent as can be. And it's a great record. I have no problem with what I paid for it.

16. jazon

Yeah I'm not too happy about it. Why put a big picture of it at the top of the email sent today after its already sold out? Now if I want I'll probably have to pay double plus shipping from someone off discogs. This has convinnced me to install twitter on my phone so i see everything the moment it happens! ..unless my phone is dead. :rant:

Juggsnelson likes this.
  17. brianplowe

brianplowe Forum Resident

Nope. Counted 18 copies shipping from the US on the first page and stopped counting. The US pressing that is, not a European pressing. The first one listed is from the Netherlands.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  18. Sneezyachew

Sneezyachew Forum Resident

Battery pack.

19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I joined just long enough to get the Queens Of The Stonage. And was getting burnt on every new thing they came out with in the members only. I wrote and told them that I thought their business model basically sucked and propped up an eletist practice that alienate a big portion of collectors and then causes jacked up prices on the secondary market. They did respond with some generic response. I cancelled my subscription. It would not surprise me if they aren’t selling the ones on discogs and Ebay.

whosnotwo and Juggsnelson like this.
  20. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

Ah, ok, the page I found was for the MPS edition. I guess it was released on London Records in the U.S. Different Discogs page.

Still, I stand by the rest of what I wrote.

21. dannydieerr

dannydieerr Forum Resident

I think it is different and interesting that you don't know what is coming and damn missed that one... crikey let' s move on or just stay glued to the twitter page, not sure why so many hate not being in control of VMP like they should do everything they want all the time.. good to see a different way of doing things and some people miss out when a pressing is 1000 you are not entitled that is why it works for me

22. Juggsnelson

I get what you are saying but I am a paying member.... Of two memberships! Offer it to members only and print up as many copies as members order. Limit it to 1 per member to stop flippers. Doesn't that make more sense?

23. dannydieerr

dannydieerr Forum Resident

Was it not 1 per order? then I do agree that is unfair but the fact you can be a member as many ways as you can and still not get one makes me smile.... as before that is exactly why this is good
    ps. I would have liked one myself

Juggsnelson likes this.
  24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Glad it works for you. To me it’s the antithesis of what music is about. Im not sure why anyone would want a more difficult and expensive way of acquiring newly mastered albums. People already deal with crappy sound, defective lps etc. Now let’s monopolize a title and make it near impossible to acquire at retail.

25. Juggsnelson

I think membership should mean access to "members only" items if you want one. I find it hard to believe that 1000 VMP members bought this single before 12pm today.

I'm done with my old man rant;) Sucks we both missed out.

dannydieerr likes this.