"Vinyl Me Please" Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hogues, Apr 7, 2019.

1. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Yes, I have that queued up for potential swaps. Thanks for the tip :)

recstar24 likes this.
  2. Hogues

Hogues Forum Resident Thread Starter

I may pick that up. Next month doesn’t hold much interest to me. Man, though, listening to freedom rider again... I’ve only been in since oriental jazz, but this is definitely my favorite.

(as I said in another forum, it seems like I’m one of the few that really liked oriental jazz.)

recstar24 likes this.
  3. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Do you happen to know what next months selection is? Just checked my account and it’s still not listen (9/27 is official date of ROTM)

4. Dignan2000

Dignan2000 Forum Resident

The October Classics selection was revealed on this page by VMP.

5. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Thank you! Yeah I’m not feeling it :( here’s hoping I can find a nice swap

Hogues likes this.
  6. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

I’m in the same boat. Hopefully Freedom Rider will be available for swaps/individual purchase. I have friends that need copies.

7. flatsix-

flatsix- Low End Theorist

From your first subscription order, what is a typical shipping time? Considering joining.

8. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

All-analog by quality mastering engineers (in this case, Kevin Gray) is always alluring for me.

GentleSenator, Hogues and Dignan2000 like this.
  9. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I've been subscribing to the VMP classics for about 2 years. I have enjoyed all the jazz selections, and a few of the classic soul selections, like Carla Thomas. Blues, reggae, ska, obscure soul, amount to 1% of my total listening time, so I decided the subscription was not worth the price, and will not renew for 2020.

Today I sent an email to VMP requesting they create a Jazz only track. Many jazz fans are rabid collectors, and I think a Jazz only track at VMP would be successful. I already had the Blakey Freedom Rider on the Mosaic vinyl box set (from many years ago), and I was still delighted to receive VMP's new analog Kevin Gray remaster, and the little book VMP puts in their monthly selections.

DeRosa, riverrat, recstar24 and 2 others like this.
  10. Hogues

I subscribed right around the time when they announced the rotm pick so it was a couple of weeks. I think that if you join after they start shipping the pick is pretty quick. In other words, it really depends on when you join.

flatsix- likes this.
  11. flatsix-

flatsix- Low End Theorist

Gotcha. Thanks.

12. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Ugh. Not what I was hoping for. How does the swap thing work? Email customer service and ask for a swap for something else?

13. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Click a link, choose from anything listed. Swaps are available for a week or so after the selection is officially announced each month, so you have to be paying attention.

14. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

When you log in, there should be a place to check out the details of your subscription. It will show you which track you’re subscribed to, and what record (s) you’re getting. From that screen, there is a button/link that takes you to available swaps. It’s pretty easy and formatted nicely by VMP.

15. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Doesn’t say if this is AAA on the VMP website but it looks to be remastered by Kevin Gray. You like this one?

16. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Cool, thanks!

17. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

According to this description, it’s cut from the original tape to lacquer.

Everything You Need To Know About Our Donald Byrd Reissues — Vinyl Me, Please

Color me surprised! I just assumed it was a digital source. Regardless I really love this album in that unique 70’s funk fusion BN weird way, this one isn’t full out there but it’s getting there. I have an OG but the condition was questionable, so when I had a chance to sub it in I did it immediately.

bluemooze likes this.
  18. birchstick

birchstick Forum Resident

Finally had a chance to give this a spin. The drums sounds very tight and roll across the soundstage nicely on the title track. I have never listened to Freedrom Rider before. I was expecting a Free for All type performance / recording where my system would be on the brink of Blakey destruction, but Freedom Rider is seems to be recorded better and very enjoyable to listen to.

Great record - I've been wondering for a while how/why it was never remastered, but I'm glad it's out now!

DeRosa, Tommyboy and recstar24 like this.
  19. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Cool, thanks. I'll have to see if I can swap it out when they announce the next title.

recstar24 likes this.
  20. Hogues

I've done a swap. It's really easy. They have a button under the ROTM that you click and it takes you to a list of records that are swappable. You just select one and you're all set. If you change your mind, you can go back to the ROTM.

21. JHC3

JHC3 Senior Member

Definitely not. I was going to sub because of this release and I didn't. I bought it on eBay a month or so ago because I had to have it. It's awesome and def up my digger alley.

Hogues likes this.
  22. JHC3

JHC3 Senior Member

Count me in as being psyched for Celia y Johnny. It's totally badass.

recstar24, GentleSenator and Hogues like this.
  23. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I'm not a VMP subscriber, so had to head to the open market for Freedom Rider. I have a decent BN blue label pressing, but was happy to pony up for the VMP reissue. It's great that it measures up to the Tone Poet and BN80 reissues. I hope VMP does more of these.

Times are good for Blue Note vinyl fans on a budget. Wish I also had access to Africaine from the BN Review box set, but as an affordable standalone. But hey Blue Note, why make that available and sell a bunch of them when you can limit it to an expensive and fluffed up box set and only sell a few?

JHC3 and birchstick like this.
  24. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Swapped the Ceilia y Jonny for Donald Byrd Free Flight.

I think I like being in a record club?!

Dignan2000 and Hogues like this.
  25. Hogues

I just swapped for Alice Coltrane.

Dignan2000 likes this.