"Vinyl Me Please" Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hogues, Apr 7, 2019.

1. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Is Otis Redding available in swaps?

2. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

Nope. I keep hoping it will be at some point.

guidedbyvoices likes this.
  3. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I just resigned this morning and it's not available. I put myself on the waitlist.

4. guidedbyvoices

Thanks guys. I have an original but would like the VMP for the notes and a clean pressing.

SJR likes this.
  5. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Try emailing and asking if you can swap for it. They allowed me to do that once, worth a shot.

6. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I was just listening to the Blossom Dearie the other day. The music is great, the mastering is great, the packaging is great. I can’t believe they didn’t make this more widely available.

7. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

Not only that, but I think it is the only mono version available.

I had joined for the 3-for-2 months deal just to get the Stooges, but seeing Blossom in the swaps and Spiritualized in Sep kept me in - hopefully Otis comes back to the swaps soon.

8. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

Can anyone give me one reason to keep this John Mayer album? I’m reading up on it and it seems to best his best-regarded collection, a ‘return to the Blues’ as one review claimed.

If I follow my gut this is my second straight Swap for credit.

9. guidedbyvoices

Ah didn’t realize it was mono.

10. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

It’s probably his best album. Maybe try streaming it or checking out the songs on YouTube before you commit. Personally, I really like the album and added it to nexts months shipment. I already have the MOV version, but I’m hoping Ryan Smith works his magic and this is the definitive version.

I also swapped out the McCoy Tyner this month as I already have the Mofi. Going with the Eddie Floyd based on the music and mastered by Kevin Gray.

11. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

I haven’t listened to the Mofi Sahara in a little while but I don’t remember it being a bad listen. I was tempted to keep it in next months delivery because I’m sure Ryan K Smith did a great job with it but ended up swapping for Knock in Wood. I’m sure it will be available for swaps in the future if I want to check it out and there are rave reviews.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  12. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

Well they got me! Joined to get Spiritualized. Also really want the Buena Vista Social Club and I'm interested in John Mayer after seeing his playing with the Dead and Company.

I joined with the White Stripes what is the story on that release is it already sold out?

Also what part of the month do they ship?

13. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

The more I think about the Spiritualized record, the more excited I get, and the more I can't believe it's happening. I feel like a kid on Christmas morning. I feel like I should be embarrassed about how excited I am for this but I just don't care. I keep checking for an "everything you need to know about our Ladies and Gentlemen" article. I need all the details.

14. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I've been waiting years for a decent reissue (never seen an OG) as the Plain Records one has been constantly trashed everywhere I've read. It's a modern masterpiece (well, not that modern) and one of my all-time favourites.
    I've seen Spiritualized® many times live, but the show they played this album in its entirety was jaw-dropping.

WithinYourReach and Gabe Walters like this.
  15. Gabe Walters

Where did you see them do it? I have a couple recordings of that, one from Radio City Music Hall in 2010 and another from 2014 in San Francisco, if I'm not mistaken. Each one stunning.

The Plain reissue is indeed garbage. Possibly until now, the 2009 CD has been the best way to hear the album. Alchemy does good work--I like what they did for Kevin Shields with his My Bloody Valentine reissues.

recstar24 likes this.
  16. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I've got the original released CD and the 2009 3-CD deluxe set.

I saw them play this album back home in the UK a week before Christmas, 2009, at The Sage, Gateshead (a glorious venue with superb acoustics).

They encored with Out Of Sight and Silent Night (due to the time of year). It was one of the greatest, most emotional shows I've ever seen.

Dignan2000 and Gabe Walters like this.
  17. Gabe Walters

I'm spinning the Royal Albert Hall show on vinyl right now. I can't contain myself.

I've seen them in DC three or four times now, but I can't imagine what it must be like to see them do Ladies and Gentlemen with all the horns, strings, and gospel choir.

recstar24 and SJR like this.
  18. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

It really is as good as you can imagine :agree:

19. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

same. The only question is how early do I need to add the essentials track to my existing classics track to ensure I get a copy! I’ll probably add it next month as I’ll enjoy the Buena vista social club for sure.

JHC3 likes this.
  20. Gabe Walters

I went ahead and added it today because my wife likes that John Mayer record. I saw him play a campus room in 2002, just as "Your Body Is a Wonderland" started picking up steam. The ticket cost $4 and it was something to do on a sleepy suburban weeknight. He ended up blowing me away with his blues and jazz chops. I don't think he played a single pop song all night.

recstar24 and FJFP like this.
  21. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

I saw them open for Radiohead in 1998. "Ladies And Gentlemen..." is great - surprised VMP is doing it.

22. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

yeah I’m tempted as well, I mean it’s clear the guy has chops, but damn, John Mayer, ugh lol.

Clucking and Gabe Walters like this.
  23. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

that must have been one heck of a show, i can only imagine that would have been one pretty transcendent experience.

24. misteranderson

It was, really. Considering my age at the time, I didn't expect any rock show to turn my head around like that one did.

Last proper OK Computer show, Radio City April 18, 1998. Radiohead did the Tibetan Freedom Concert in DC a couple months later.

I only knew a few songs from The Bends/OKC at the time, and didn't know Spiritualized at all. My favorite kind of gig to go to, when I don't really know what to expect. I distinctly remember floating out into the street afterward - just totally blown away.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  25. misteranderson

He's a douche, or was a douche, but also one hell of a guitarist, and a pretty good songwriter too.

He hasn't offended me personally, so I don't care - I like his first album and the EP he did before it quite a bit.

recstar24 likes this.