"Vinyl Me Please" Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hogues, Apr 7, 2019.

1. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I just signed up for a 3-month subscription to make sure I get the Spiritualized. Decided to swap the John Mayer for store credit. Glad that was an option!

PBo and Juggsnelson like this.
  2. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

After mulling it over for a day or so I decided to swap the John Mayer for Salt-N-Pepa's Very Necessary. I haven't listened to the album in while, but OGs go for too much so this will be perfect to own.

3. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Forum Resident

"Lacquers Cut By Ryan Smith, Sterling Sound; Plated At Quality Record Pressings (QRP)"

Firehead, Dignan2000, Cervelo and 3 others like this.
  4. Garson

Garson Enthusiast

I’ve have off and on been a subscriber to VMP since Nils Frahm was record of the month. They usually provide a quality product, but their inability to join the modern world in their shipping practices is unnerving. The time frame from production to shipping is so slim that they tend to not have the product you order when you order it.

GentleSenator likes this.
  5. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Forum Resident

I have been trying to track down the Art Vinyl/Sony Music UK pressing of Ladies And Gentlemen... from 2012 for quite some time, but I have never seen it up for sale on any of the numerous sites I regularly check. As such, I am super stoked that VMP is reissuing this.

I like that it's being billed as the "first-ever artist-approved vinyl reissue." I know that doesn't guarantee anything, but it makes me more optimistic. I also recall reading good things on this forum about Barry Grint's work at Alchemy Mastering, so that adds to my optimism. I'd love to hear people's thoughts on his work as I cannot recall anything in my collection with his name on it off hand (although I'm sure there's a handful of his work in there somewhere).

And it's coming out in my birthday month!

I won't have to settle for my Plain reissue much longer...:pineapple:

6. ACAB

ACAB Forum Resident

It’s a really good pressing so you won’t be disappointed. However, the PSA is still at the end of the LP, and as well-meaning as it is, it doesn’t bear repeated listening.

Sci-Flyer likes this.
  7. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

It's almost July. Did they postpone the Herbie Hancock box?

8. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Johan1880 likes this.
  9. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I wonder how many of us there are? :evil:

Been toying with the idea of joining virtually since 2013 but never did it. Spiritualized convinced me even though I have zero need for Mayer or BSC. Just not my style of music.

Is it safe to assume that "Ladies & Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space" will see a standard regular release in fall or are there examples where a VMP pressing remained totally exclusive? The vinyl version has been in the hands of Plain since 2010, the Art Vinyl edition from 2012 was a one-off and didn't affect Plains contract. Could this be the case here as well?

And by the way: Is it possible to buy a second copy as member?

10. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

I believe there have been many titles that remained exclusive as VMP ROTMs

If you’re a member you could add another track and swap it to Essentials to get a second copy for only $23.

Sneezyachew, Juggsnelson and Neonbeam like this.
  11. Seogu Lee

Seogu Lee Well-Known Member

That's what I thought when I saw his name. Bernie Grundman seems to be quite selective about what he masters. He's done some Nirvana reissue but many great 90's albums done by Chris Bellman.
    so it's highly unlikely it's done by him.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  12. ACAB

ACAB Forum Resident

OTOH, he’s been credited with Mike Bozzi for mastering most (perhaps all- the site is down right now) of the Italians Do It Better output (Chromatics, Desire etc). They’re probably just a notch above Idles in the grand scheme of things, so it’s not an impossible suggestion.

13. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

Blossom Dearie is back up in the store now for anyone looking. I got an email from one of those Waitlist Me Please things.

14. Dignan2000

Dignan2000 Forum Resident

Here’s the link for the Blossom Dearie repress.

BeardedSteven, CraigVC and jazon like this.
  15. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

So glad Blossom is back in stock. Eff the flippers. Mine should be here mon or tues.

ausgraeme, Jerry James and recstar24 like this.
  16. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

Sweet! Thanks for the heads up on the Blossom. Ordered.

Juggsnelson and recstar24 like this.
  17. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

Just added the Blossom to my order had never heard until a quick glance on youtube in the past 30 minutes

Looks interesting and cut by Kevin Gray surely can disappoint on that

Juggsnelson likes this.
  18. JHC3

JHC3 Senior Member

WMP cost me some dough this week. Between the Walter Bishop, Jr., Ask The Ages and FINALLY Blossom. And yes, F the flippers, though people already have their copies listed on the 'Bay for a cool $99.

19. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Seriously happy to see Sonny Sharrock's "Ask The Ages" coming in October.

Ask The Ages

20. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I just went to use my store credit to buy the Stooges Cale mix LP and it’s gone :(
    Has anyone had luck with waitlisting before? I’m new to this

guidedbyvoices likes this.
  21. guidedbyvoices

well its a new feature, but in addition to VMP giving me a heads up on Blossom last week, I got a watilist email from it today as well.

Dignan2000 and ghoulsurgery like this.
  22. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

I’m glad the waitlist is finally a thing. Fingers crossed for Otis Redding.

Can someone please illuminate me on the Blossom Dearie record. I’ve listened to it a few times on Spotify to see what the fuss is about. Doesn’t float my boat but what am I missing? No intention of disrespect. I like plenty of things other people don’t.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  23. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

W

WOW

ad180 likes this.
  24. guidedbyvoices

I like vocal jazz especially stripped down combos like Nat King Cole’s After Midnight, Billie Holiday ‘all or nothing at all’

first time or two I streamed Blossom dearie I was very underwhelmed. Played it one cold rainy day and it clicked for me. It’s not an every day album. It’s not really a late night album for me either. But on the right day or mood it’s perfect.

Dignan2000 and domesticmachine like this.
  25. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

I just got a copy of Diamond Dogs in the mail from the Target sale and I’m psyched about it. Just as much as I am the SPZ LP. Some things are timeless.

Saw them for the first time on the 98 Radiohead tour in SF. Blew my young mind. Hell of a Radiohead show too if you seen it. Ive seen Jason many times since too. I wish they’d put out an official acoustic mainlines show LP.

Actually last SPZ show in Portland was absolutely phenomenal despite me being less than hyped about the latest LP. We’re all due a proper pressing of this album that would have been named the best album of 97 if it wasn’t an absolute goldmine of a year. Not sure why so many people pessimistic on this or the other Spz thread. Just another record. If you don’t care don’t buy it.