"Vinyl Me Please" Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hogues, Apr 7, 2019.

1. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Does anybody with the previous grateful dead box know what tapes were used for Live/Dead?

2. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

“All titles were cut 'AAA' from the original analog tapes, with the exception of Without a Net coming from the original master digital audio” this 2nd edition uses same metal work as first edition

Last edited: May 27, 2023
  3. Crosseyed

Crosseyed help I'm a rock

Looks like no slip mat is included in the anthology which is a bummer

4. There are 2 mixes for Live/Dead and most recent reissues use the remix.

Shawn and aoxomoxoa like this.
  5. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

So I will ask again does anybody know?
    Mofi claimed to use analog tapes but they were wrong also. The mix they used has Garcia's guitar low in the mix. And it wasn't the original mix.

6. Crosseyed

Crosseyed help I'm a rock

As far as I know the only LP reissue that used the remix (which appeared on the CD reissue) was the MoFi and that's it.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  7. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

its says original so i assume the original tapes. On the VMP product page, it also shows pictures of the tape boxes, maybe you can discern from that

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  8. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Passing on Grateful Dead box
    Have 70s copies of all but Europe 72 Part Two and Without A Net

9. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

10. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Uh huh

11. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

Do I need another copy of the Strokes first album? I guess I do, if it's as good as the VMP Room on Fire.

12. MonkeyTennis

MonkeyTennis Billie Eilish style

I totally missed that: I’m too accustomed to the leather glove/ass cover… Wonder what made them decide to go with the alternative cover…?

Chakana and Beaker73 like this.
  13. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

I know, the ass cover is the "real" cover as far as I'm concerned. Not sure why they elected to go with the lame, censored cover.

14. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

As much as I'd love this box, I also just can't justify it. Not only do I have all the albums, mostly originals, it's just too much money, even for my prowess in rationalizing this hobby. There's way too much live material which I prefer, vs repeating studio stuff. That said, it is a sweet offering and sure whoever grabs it will love it.

Aeryn Sun, jgrillo and audiotom like this.
  15. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

This.
    I think the ass cover was too controversial for the US, hence the alternative one.
    And will it or will it not contain New York City Cops, which was held off the US release after 9/11?

16. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

I'm sure it will have that track. The last reissue in 2020 did. Crazy that one is now going for $100 on discogs.

17. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Interesting Stone Temple Pilots pick. I'm not complaining, though. Since it was never released on vinyl when it came out, and I heard the Music on Vinyl isn't too bad.

18. MonkeyTennis

MonkeyTennis Billie Eilish style

Is that true? I had no idea… And no idea that the cover was censored for US release. You have my sympathies. Really, really bizarre.

19. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Thanks, but no need, I am not from the US :)

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  20. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

I'm not a fan of the Strokes per se, but I looked up the ass cover history just because I remember seeing it in the States when the album was released. I didn't even realize there was another cover. According to this NME article, it seems Julian wanted to change it because he liked the other cover better (plus apparently some "several stockists" didn't want to carry the posterior cover). Not sure how much of that is face saving on Julian's part, but it could maybe point to the change being from a little of column A and a little of column B, not just censorship.

20 Things You Probably Didn't Know About The Strokes' 'Is This It'

Of course, I am ready to take the slings and arrows of referring to NME for anything factual.

21. RockyMTnLeg Shaver

RockyMTnLeg Shaver Forum Resident

All the MOV STP albums sounds great to me. They seem to be one of the better recorded rock bands.

Boomy and mikemoon like this.
  22. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Brendan O'Brien is a big reason.

I have the first 4 STP MOV reissues. I was actually streaming Shangri-Li Dee Da this morning.

I'm in for a VMP STP No. 4 is it is AAA and/or RKS cut.

I'm thinking they recorded and mixed analog up to or around this point.

Boomy likes this.
  23. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

I think the No. 4 MOV pressing is pretty hard to find/pricey these days though. Close to $100 secondhand. Never released on vinyl in the US if I'm not mistaken except via the EU MOV pressings.

Boomy likes this.
  24. RockyMTnLeg Shaver

RockyMTnLeg Shaver Forum Resident

Sheesh I had no idea. I bought mine from Popmarket for a very reasonable price a few years ago.

Boomy likes this.
  25. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

importcds had some for sale for $30 the other day on ebay. all gone now I think though.