"Vinyl Me Please" Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hogues, Apr 7, 2019.

1. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

If I’m signed up for Essentials to get the Spiritualized record next month, can I also order a second copy? Or do those only go up after ROTM copies have all been sent out?

2. Never had a VMP record arrive in anything but undinged as-new condition. Their mailers seem solid to me so I wonder why so many of you seem to be having problems.

3. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Looks like the VMP issue, if it happens, will have the same booklet as the World Circuit and identical labels. Is anybody absolutely certain it's not AAA?

Either way, they screwed up. They had to know demand would be high for this LP.

4. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

OK.

I received the AP edition of Duke's Blues In Orbit from VMP today - perfect. It's been pressure-cooker hot and humid here, but it would have to be much hotter to warp a 200g record in a heavy sleeve with VMP's mailer over the whole thing.

I think you're right about the mailer being slightly lighter than it was a couple years ago, when I was last signed up.

5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I gladly swapped for store credit. So far I'm underwhelmed. The only album I wanted is sold out - Fontaines D.C. - and apart from that I see nothing exciting or interesting. Guess I won't renew my membership after Spiritualized.
    Are you talking about "BVSC"? The BG cut is easily available new for 20€. So I'm not getting the demand for the VMP edition. :confused:

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  6. Upthread someone posted a tweet from a gentleman who works for VMP saying it’s not AAA.

GentleSenator likes this.
  7. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

It's not available in the US--currently on backorder with the major distributors. I tried to order last night from Amazon UK, FR, and DE, and shipping is exorbitant to the US, presumably because of the pandemic. It used to be ridiculously cheap to order from those sites to the US, but not so now, at least for this title.

Neonbeam, Tom Campbell and Dignan2000 like this.
  8. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

I think if you just signed up, swapped for or add on you will be waiting for the represses. If you signed up last month for the essential track I believe you will be getting them

9. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Strange, I'm signed up for Classics and RHH. I didn't care for either selection and I already have BVSC. I selected "Energy Control Center" and "Swap" for this month. Oddly enough, I can still add BVSC to my ROM order.

Question though, I think I want Spritualized just doing an add on or switching one of them to Essentials once the announcement is made right?

I'm almost over this OOP anxiety $^!+.

GentleSenator likes this.
  10. Sci-Flyer

Sci-Flyer Forum Resident

You could add an extra track (classics and/or RAH) then immediately swap for another Spiritualized copy. So I guess in theory you get up to 3. I’ve never done it myself but I don’t see why that wouldn’t work. Whenever I do a swap I see the other two tracks from that month available as possible swaps.

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  11. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i don't live in europe, so it's been a bit trickier to find it now. still, there are more reasons why folks would want this nice new version beyond the AAA aspect.

Neonbeam and Dignan2000 like this.
  12. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

The new mailers are slightly lighter weight, but they're a new design with inner tabs that hold the record in place and (theoretically) protect the corners. We'll see over time if they're better or worse than the old mailers.

Count me among the several others who have never received a VMP album (15 to 20 to date) in anything but pristine condition.

13. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

The VMP Essentials runs are massive. I think it's a sure thing that copies of this will show up on Discogs for reasonable prices (likely less than what VMP charges) within the next few months.

boyhitscar likes this.
  14. bad_penny

bad_penny Forum Resident

Same. Don't have a problem with VMP. I don't care about the delays or the slow responses. They've always done right by me.

dannydieerr, Cervelo and recstar24 like this.
  15. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

Can somebody save me from wading through speculation: Buena Vista Social Club - is it AAA?

16. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

doubtful (that literally is the best I can give you based on what’s been said)

Briskit likes this.
  17. Briskit

Thanks buddy.

recstar24 likes this.
  18. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

The VMP dude, Storf, confirmed on Twitter that it is not AAA.

19. Briskit

Shame on VMP - making poor old Bernie futz around with digital wotsits...
    ;)

20. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Most likely not VMP, but Nonesuch’s call.

21. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

I think there's some question as to whether the other version currently available is AAA. I read either here or on Reddit that the original session was recorded to tape and mixed digitally. No idea if that's true.

22. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Has anyone has issues with the Blossom Dearie release? I have one coming this month and saw there were a few people on the VMP sub Reddit that had some QC issues with it.

23. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

I received my copy a couple weeks ago and it's perfect - no issues whatsoever. Hope yours is the same!

GentleSenator and Juggsnelson like this.
  24. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

I had significant surface noise on the last song on side one.

It was my first purchase how are they on returns for such. If i have to keep it oh well

25. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Mine played quiet, no warps either.