Vinyl & needle magnified 1000x

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dianos, Nov 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VinylSoul

VinylSoul Forum Resident

Some math 2.54 microns = .0001in is one ten thousandth inch. At 1/2inch out from label on LP at 33rpm 15khz ripples are .00058in apart pinching out a .7mil a .0007in stylus

2. Sam

Sam Senior Member

But what if the left and right "push" in at the same time? Would that not cause the needle to jump "up" and out of the groove?

3. Doug G.

Doug G. Forum Resident

Not if the cartridge/stylus/tonearm system is capable of following the motion. Very common.

Doug

4. Doug G.

Doug G. Forum Resident

Oh yes, don't get me wrong. This technology has meant a lot to me for almost 60 years. For as far back as I can remember, I have always been fascinated with records and the music they reproduce. I can even get a bit emotional talking about this stuff.

Doug

tim185 likes this.
  5. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

Right. The cutting stylus, while sharper, doesn't make any motions that the playback stylus can't, in a general sense. Where the playback system falls short, especially in pivoted tonearms, is in tracking error. That's a different discussion, of course, and one that's been covered pretty well on this forum.

Heckto35 likes this.
  6. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

I've been a record geek since I was 4 years old. Some of my earliest memories are of listening to records on my folks Blaupunkt Hi-Fi when we lived in Germany. I've always had a connection to records and the music recorded on them. I can't imagine my life without music, both live and reproduced. We're all a bit richer as a result of the technology.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.