Vinyl Outsells CDs For the First Time in Decades

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Leviethan, Sep 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

The issue with used media isn't so much about the seller, but about the buyer, who is typically buying that used unit instead of a new one. If you don't think sales of used media impacts the sales of new media, I have a couple thousand used CDs and LPs that beg to differ.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  2. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

with many record retail stores and pressing plants closed for at least 2 months because of the Covid pandemic, and Record Store Day delayed to the second half of the year,
    i'd say that 2.3% growth is a massive sign of success, and the strength of the market for new records.

3. dh46374

dh46374 Forum Resident

If you say so. We'll see

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  4. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Your other observation is correct, streaming is where the big participation is, no question.

Vinyl is what it is. There are clearly segments of the vinyl market that are strong,
    limited editions sell out, the resale market prices are skyrocketing, and there are
    lots of ways "vinyl community" participation is growing.

But that doesn't mean sales are going mainstream, or back to million selling titles,
    and the market doesn't need to. It just needs to remain a viable and sustainable business
    for artists, labels, manufacturers, and resellers to keep it going.

5. Scourge

Scourge The Contagion in Nine Steps

Newsflash: since the inception of the internet and auction sites like eBay, sales of wax cylinders have gone through the roof compared to the previous 50 years, lol.

6. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I know for a 100% fact that there is direct correlation between the sale of used CDs and the sale of new CDs.

7. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Yep and I'm going to a show tomorrow

8. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

As long as we have Japan we'll have CDs

Marty T and eric777 like this.
  9. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

I'm just going to copy and paste what I wrote in another thread yesterday

To be honest I find the whole Vinyl vs CD wars really boring,we all huge music lovers here and wherever somebody prefers Vinyl over CD or vice versa it simply doesn't matter, it's really about what you get from the experience.

DeRosa and Man at C&A like this.
  10. PineBark

Please explain what correlation you're referring to.

11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'm fed up of reading about it. So boring. The worst thing is I always end up posting in the threads about it! I must stop.

ARK likes this.
  12. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

Why would anyone want to rent their music? I must be showing my age :confused:

ClassicalCD, KAJ1971, Grant and 2 others like this.
  13. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Vinyl is selling less units than CDs but generating more revenue. Wouldn't that be the definition of "greater profit margin"?

14. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura!

For me, it’s because I hate the thought of a ‘collector’ owning my physical albums one day. I’d rather just listen to music. I’ve always loathed ‘collecting’. People that want to keep their albums ‘cherry’, instead of appreciating the music itself... me no likey.

15. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Well...is it a minute or two? I'm a busy man !

rem 600, The Trinity and thnkgreen like this.
  16. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Logically, if a million used CDs are sold of title X, then there are a million less new CDs sold of title X, give or take a few percentage points for people that like to have a particular version of title X.

Spencer R likes this.
  17. x2zero

x2zero Forum Resident

The vinyl vs CD war was fought more than 30 years ago, it was over very quickly, I don’t know why people try to resurrect it. CD has since lost the war to file sharing and downloads, which in turn lost out to streaming. Vinyl has uniquely had a back from the dead resurgence and carved out a quiet little corner of the market place and is currently not posing a threat to, nor is threatened by, any other format.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    ARK, Witchy Woman and Aftermath like this.
  18. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

I shalln't worry about that when I'm dead. ;)

ClassicalCD and KAJ1971 like this.
  19. PineBark

That's exactly the point I was making, that used media sales negatively impact new media sales.

Man at C&A likes this.
  20. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

Henry, I love ya, man, but it’s a frikkin’ record player, not a heart-lung bypass machine. Put the record on, crank the volume, and enjoy the music my dude!

raveoned and thnkgreen like this.
  21. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I find the vinyl vs CD wars entertaining, if only because streaming is laughing all the way to the bank while these two duke it out.

22. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Completely agree and the CD sales drop for me is quite jarring. We're basically nearing the point where there is likely as many new releases on vinyl as there are CD. And honestly it's felt that way for awhile for me now but likely depends on what genres one focuses on.

There's plenty of new releases that are on vinyl and have been for many years now. There are are still in fairly small runs, of course - blink and you may miss them, if the artist has a sales spike.

I'm not sure where this is all headed but it's certainly a different world from just ten years back. Back then it was essentially assured that a new release would get a CD pressing unless it was some obscure indie band. Today....not as certain but that still goes for vinyl too - the only certainty may be streaming at this point, outside of RSD, special boxes set and the like.

wgriel and DeRosa like this.
  23. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

This video reminds me why I stopped listening to vinyl.

CDV, thnkgreen and mark winstanley like this.
  24. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

This is what I do. I really only buy used CDs that cost a couple of bucks at Half Price Books or at a Goodwill anyway. I rip 'em on my phone and bluetooth it to the car and voila.

Mr-Beagle likes this.
  25. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

That was painful. And I have 1000+ LP's.

I just play them.

Marty T, Aftermath and thnkgreen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.