Vinyl Outsells CDs For the First Time in Decades

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Leviethan, Sep 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Vinyl outpacing CD is not "going backwards" because neither LP or CD is a way forward. Streaming is "going forwards" and it's overwhelmingly the most popular way to listen to music now.

wgriel and Yovra like this.
  2. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

I was in Walmart today & saw some vinyl that was obliviously originally recorded as digital (newer artists & titles).
    I laughed.
    Enjoy the future static, clicks, pops & lack of mobility!

3. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Yay for format war vets, I guess.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  4. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

I clean my records with an inherited record cleaning cloth, which apparently once cost 99c. This works better than whatever brush I used to, or didn't, use.

MYQ1 likes this.
  5. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Will do

6. bigshot

bigshot Forum Resident

I still listen to CDs and vinyl, but this reminds why I tend to put my fingers in my ears when people start discussing vinyl as a format. Were people really like this back in the 70’s and 80’s when talking about it or is it just Henry’s patronising tone here?

Detroit Rock Citizen and eric777 like this.
  7. themisto

themisto Forum Resident

Everything is a rich man's lie.

8. Double E

Double E Time is piling up, we struggle and we scrape

I only buy CDs now where what I want is not available on vinyl or is on Tidal. I use Roon and upgrade all to 256DSD so between well recorded music on well pressed vinyl, Tidal MQA, Roon & His Res Downloads (Accoustic Sounds & HD Tracks) I get better sound than the CDs in my collection including the ones of ripped and A B tested on my system. Good CDs still sound more than good enough it is just that I don’t need to buy them or want too.

9. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I've never understood the fascination with this event. It's been speculated for years. These kinds are articles are written by those annoying people that have to say, "See, I told you so." I hate those people.

Music recordings have always been reported in unit sold.This is the equalizing factor. But I'll tell you if you're only looking at monetary units, vinyl has outsold CD for years if you include used vinyl. A used CD is almost worthless and used vinyl sells for what a new CD costs. So that's a thing. At this point both formats are losing ground to streaming. Both are niche products. Physical media is niche. Newspapers and magazines are fading away as well. The only thing I can state is that vinyl is doing something right. It's probably the only physical medium, music or otherwise that is growing.

The Bishop likes this.
  10. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Do computers even have hard disks anymore ? I haven't owned a computer in 8 years, so I don't know but a friend just bought a new computer that is entirely solid state - no moving parts whatsoever.
    He seemed to suggest magnetic hard drives are obsolete now. That's if I interpreted him correctly.

11. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

My only magnetic hard drive is at work, although I don't really know what's inside of it. For all I know, it could be solid state, too.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  12. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

There's a collector's market for used CDs just as there is for LPs. Some sought-after items fetch fantastic prices.

ClassicalCD and The Bishop like this.
  13. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Outboard drives can be had cheaply.

fretter and Aftermath like this.
  14. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

We are still in the transition phase.

This is not entirely true. Most mid- and upmarket laptops and PCs come with SSD only, but at the lower price end HDDs are still a thing. More importantly, mass storage USB drives, NAS drives etc still tend to be HDD. Even though you can now buy SSDs with ridiculously large storage space if money is no object, but for most people it is. Also, new HDDs are still being developed.

Eventually SSDs will likely take over, but it'll be some years from now.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  15. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Some people look after their stuff.

Lanark likes this.
  16. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

The strong performance of vinyl is hugely influenced by the numerous contrived limited editions, in every colour vinyl under the sun, that are constantly getting churned out for RSD and by HMV here in the UK, and by the labels directly.

They’re just getting snapped up by collectors and completists who simply must have everything.

Sure CD buyers get some very nicely put together box sets, but that’s where the gimmicks end.

In an imaginary world where from today the only vinyl release was standard black vinyl, and it was one version of the record available versus one version of the CD, the sales figures would be very different.

On the flip side, I am glad for record shops that there is this market for the obsessed who need the 8th version on an album in yellow vinyl that will sound terrible, at least it keeps them in business.

The Bishop and anorak2 like this.
  17. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I love all the hate that CD's get.

It means I can pick up vast numbers of albums I want that I never thought I would own.

18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Same with me, I find the hate absolutely ridiculous though. For those of us who still like to own our music and have a collection they are still the best format of all in many ways. I've bought a lot of CDs in the last few years that would be very expensive or near impossible to find on vinyl, which I do prefer overall.

nlgbbbblth and Somerset Scholar like this.
  19. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

They're nice to look at though.

Sneezyachew likes this.
  20. wallpaperman

I kind of liked that when I was 10 years old at the start 1980’s, getting into music, and had (actually, I still have them) Squeeze 7” singles in lilac and red vinyl, and UK Subs in many different colours, including a rather yucky brown vinyl copy of Warhead (I think).

As a 50 year old, it doesn’t do much for me. Take new album out sleeve, look at the pretty splatter vinyl for a minute, put it away and put the original version from 40 years ago on to the turntable. Oh, and that will be £25 for the splatter vinyl sir.

anorak2 and Man at C&A like this.
  21. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Amen to that. Also I have picked up many great CDs at knock down prices. Win/Win.

ClassicalCD, anorak2 and wallpaperman like this.
  22. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

You and me both.

23. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Can you tell me where I can get all those "worthless" Bowie cds on RCA then?

24. wallpaperman

Or quite a bit of The Church’s back catalogue on CD which can command some surprisingly high prices.

25. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Even in the dark days of vinyl, some albums commanded a high price. Some CDs will command a relatively high price. Bowie RCAs happen to fall into this category. Unfortunately, RCA used barcodes and so they don't easily fall through the cracks.

raveoned likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.