DCC Archive Vinyl Preservation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Dec 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

I read with fascination Sckott’s wonderful instructions in cleaning vinyl (gotta print that puppy!) – and someone’s comments on a mini vacuum of some sort to suck up the crud after cleaning (sorry whoever you are, your name escapes me at the moment – but it’s a great idea … if I can find one!).

And just last week, I found a place locally that sells DCC and Classic Records vinyl! As well as a selection of DCC gold discs! Went a bit crazy too close to Christmas – could spell trouble with the loved ones! Or is that "trouble for me"?
    :(

Anyway, now I am wondering about vinyl preservation. The obvious is using paper / plastic inner sleeves, handling the vinyl by the edges and the center label, ensuring the stylus is aligned properly and brushing / cleaning the vinyl before play. I even heard that you should refrain from playing the vinyl twice within a certain time frame (1 hr? 3 hrs?) as the vinyl has to get back into “shape”. Not sure how true that was but I never play vinyl two times in a row!

I used to use Last on my favorite vinyl. I think it worked – but the “Last” stickers have fallen off a long time ago.

Does anyone know of anything out there that can help preserve vinyl? Is Last still being made?

Any help or comments will be appreciated!

:)

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Some people use Last on albums, but here's my thoughts on it.

No.

A happy record is a clean record. If it's new or "like new", then give it a good soft flog with a D4 and some DIY liquid, ONLY to get rid of the dust off the top. That's ALL a D4 brush is really good for. If it LOOKS mint, but it sounds like crap, use my instructions if you'd like.

But a happy record stays happy in a VRP Discwasher sleeve, if the record is "valueable" to you. For records that are "good but not god", use the plastic lined sleeves that you can find in most record supply WEB outlets.

I've tried a LOT of products and the only ones that work great are ones that leave NO traces.

However, this is an area that many people have thier "own way" and can debate, but I had a Neil Young "Nowhere" Lp that was pesky, and I soaked it (via that post I made...ect). It doesn't need anything else now, and if I played it now, you woulnd't think 2 years ago, it sounded like a gravel driveway. I only keep it in a plastic lined sleeve. It's behaved ever since!

If it ain't broke...etc... Trust me..!

Have fun!!

[ December 16, 2001: Message edited by: Sckott ]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.