Vinyl record information for a newb

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ClawHammer, Jun 23, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dont believe the hype(sticker).
    That isn't unusual,its very common,it happens every 6 months on RSD,a collectable title in a limited pressing will sell out quickly but many labels/artists will only do a limited run as that is what they expect to sell.Also by then the plates will be worn and it might not be worth the expense to replace them unless there is a sufficient demand.
    What TT are you buying and is the cartridge preinstalled at the factory and is the head shell fixed or removable?

ClawHammer likes this.
  2. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

That's good. :) The web version is all one needs once one gets the hang of it.

ClawHammer likes this.
  3. ClawHammer

ClawHammer Well-Known Member Thread Starter

It didn't cost anymore than a normal record. Is for wifey's birthday and she will appreciate it.
    TT is a Rega P3. Cartridge is being installed by my local store. No idea about head shell, sorry, this is all new to me.

4. Ive often found a record in a bin,in the back of my mind a little voice has told me its a good record,on getting home Ive found that Ive got it.
    I use the web app now to view my collection when in doubt.

ClawHammer likes this.
  5. Good call,it would be good practice to study the installation of the cartridge,no matter how well the records was pressed if the cartridge is set wrong the records will not sound right.
    Also if you fall down this rabbit hole you might begin to collect cartridges,I have a number of them in the collection I have a cheap and cheerful AT95 for playing records of below par thus I dont run the risk of damaging a better quality stylus.
    On a note of buying used records dont rush in,too many second hand and charity shops are putting silly money price tickets on very common titles or knackered records because they know someone will buy them and too many people are falling for it,then they get put off.
    Second hand record shops are a good place to visit as their staff may help to guide to music new to your ears,and there will be a TT so you can try before you buy.
    Whereabouts are you?
    Hopefully there will be a member here thats close to you and may point you in the right direction of a few shops.

ClawHammer likes this.
  6. Balcanquhal

Balcanquhal Forum Resident

The 'new' style of ordering master releases is absolutely atrocious on mobile phones. Endlessly clicking 'show more'. (And I hate it on my laptop, too.)

I suspect that they intend us to jump straight to the marketplace…

ClawHammer, nosliw and Dubmart like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.