Vinyl records now in crisis: Apollo Transco Mastering lacquer plant is a total loss*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SoCalWJS, Feb 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MielR

MielR THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Wikipedia:
    "Direct metal mastering requires a radically different cutting angle than traditional (lacquer) cutting, almost 0 degrees. However the playback cartridges will always have the standard playback angle of 15–22.5°. Thus, the DMM process includes electronic audio processing so the records can be played with a standard cartridge despite having been cut at a substantially different angle. This electronic processing might account for the supposedly different high frequency "signature sound" of DMM records."

So, is this "electronic audio processing" a type of equalization, like the RIAA curve? (Do DMMs even use the RIAA curve?)

2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Just thought of another one. Does anyone know who cuts the DMM plates for RPM in Denmark? I'm not sure if they are done in house or by someone else. Regardless, their records do tend to be noisy. Possibly that is due to the fact they use a certain amount of regrind and are up front about it.

3. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

DMMs must comply to the RIAA curve because the records are to be played back through the same phono stages that we all use for our traditionally cut records.

my understanding of the electronic processing involved (really not an expert, so somebody PLEASE correct me if I am mixing things up) is that there is an ultra-high frequency tone injected into the signal, to aid in cutting the groove in the hard copper plate. The high frequencies in the audible band become easier to cut into the hard copper surface. One could argue that this tone has an audible effect on the program signal even though the tone itself is beyond the audible spectrum.

It’s a tell-tale sign of DMM. It’s present in the entire cut, even the lead-in and lead-out grooves, and it’s pretty easy to see even with the naked eye. The grooves just don’t look the same. I’d be interested in seeing a “silent” DMM groove under the scope.

MisterNines, Halloween_Jack and MielR like this.
  4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Just listen to the lead in groove on your DMM cut record, put your finger on the platter slowing it way down and you should be able to hear the high freg. tone quite easily.

5. MielR

Wow, this is all very interesting. I wonder if I have any of these discs? I'll have to see if there's a master list of pressings somewhere.

6. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

That should do it, I recall very easily hearing the similar high frequency on a CD-4 quad disc by playing back at 16RPM. One should also theoretically be able to see the tone on the spectrogram of a hi-res needledrop

7. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

The vast majority of DMM these days isn’t marked as such, but if you’ve been buying any new records, odds are you have one.

GZ is basically the biggest pressing plant in the world at this point, so they handle a lot of projects for both the majors and indies. And most of their output is cut in-house on their DMM lathes.
    I’ve pressed with them before, but sent over metal parts after having lacquers cut at Sterling Sound and plated here in the states. Not the common workflow for sure, and likely won’t even be a feasible one at this point…

8. MielR

I don't buy any new vinyl, so if I have one, it would be old.

9. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Saw Mr. Framer today on Florida Audio Show. He seems to be pretty devastated. He said that there is some information about industry "backup stash" 6 month worth of laquers, but does not know if it is true.

10. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Terrible news. What was the cause of that fire?

11. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

They started becoming more common in the mid-80’s, some big albums were cut DMM, like the original release of Graceland. I’m sure there’s a list of notable titles somewhere around here

MielR likes this.
  12. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

A facility like this should have had Chemical fire suppression like an expanding foam. They would also have proper extinguishers if everything is up to code.

Tullman, VictoryHighway and MielR like this.
  13. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I’ve followed analog photography very closely for years and I have no knowledge of any photographic manufacturing plants reopening successfully.

The closest thing to that is Film Feriana in Italy, which was sold as 3M film here. Over the past five + years they’ve attempted to modernize their dormant factory for small scale but sustainable production. With Kickstarter money they aimed to have color slide film in production within a couple of years. They just recently announced that it won’t ever happen. They were able to produce an old B&W emulsion from the 1960s, but after millions of dollars and countless hours of work the project is basically a failure.

Sorry to be so negative (pun not intended), but ramping up production of incredibly complex Industrial Age technology today is basically impossible.

Oh, which reminded me of the Impossible Project that brought back old Polaroid film. It’s brutally LoFi and nothing like the original even after several years. They seem on the verge of failure too.

dan c

MielR and DRM like this.
  14. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Def Leppard's Hysteria I believe, along with most of the hour plus albums of that era.

15. Old Zorki II

I am sure there is cost and economics of scale involved. I am sure someone can make good film now -but who will buy it for $300 a roll?
    Here it was and will be very low volume process, and even if new costs will be much higher product will still be demand. With film photography cost of actual film is a major expense. With record production, unless it is very limited pressing, cost of lacquer is not important. If it is $250 vs $25 per disc it will add only a small amount to cost of for example 5,000 records pressing.
    Today I am a glass half-full guy! :pineapple:

MisterNines, DRM and MielR like this.
  16. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I’ve also got dozens of DMM LPs in my collection, classical and pop/rock, and some sound superb, others OK and some lousy. I think it can be used to make great sounding LPs and never quite understood the demonization of it.
    dan c

Dean R, Gaslight, MielR and 1 other person like this.
  17. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I wonder if dogs can hear it when played at normal speed. The dog whistle effect.

MielR and MrRom92 like this.
  18. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

19. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

20. Old Zorki II

My dog does not change his behaviour when DMM records are playing, I can assure you.

A6mzero and DRM like this.
  21. Old Zorki II

Dan C and DRM like this.
  22. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Not exactly applicable. Kodak already had an operational manufacturing facility up and running, their decision to start mixing and coating a new (old) emulsion was more reliant on whether or not there would be a market to buy the film.

It’s going to be near impossible for someone to build a new lacquer manufacturing facility, as much as it would be near impossible for a newcomer to the photo industry to just start making film, with no prior infrastructure or equipment.

Dan C, DRM and MielR like this.
  23. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

A6mzero and MielR like this.
  24. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Maybe Neil Young can assist.

Brian Lux and polchik like this.
  25. Radagast

Radagast Forum Resident

Keep in mind that when the likes of Kodak and Polaroid were developing these things, they had a lot of brilliant people working for many years. Just because it existed once, doesn't mean it can be re-animated by fewer people, with less brilliance, time, and money.

bpmd1962, rischa and MielR like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.