1. This day in history: January 12, 2002. 9:49 AM, California time. The Steve Hoffman Music Forums officially launched with this thread. Thank you for 20 years of music, discussion, and great memories! Join our "Thank You!" thread, and we'll see you in the forum!
    Dismiss Notice

Vinyl Sets New Weekly Sales Peak for Modern Era

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Jiginada, Dec 29, 2021.

1. Jiginada

Jiginada Forum Resident Thread Starter

aoxomoxoa and DK Pete like this.
  2. ElevateMeLater

ElevateMeLater Jesus of Cool

Good news is that labels will now start putting out a lot of material that has been long out of print or never available on vinyl.

Bad news is the pressing plants will continue to be overloaded, causing even more quality control and customer service issues, yet vinyl prices will continue to rise.

Chemguy and Jiginada like this.
  3. TurtleIsland

TurtleIsland Forum Resident

Vinyl Sales Hit 30-Year High, Kid Cudi Sets Rap Sales Record

If you’ve been using your extra time at home lately as an excuse to build your physical music library, you’re certainly not alone: Americans bought 2.11 million vinyl records in the week ending on December 23rd, according to Billboard. This marks vinyl’s biggest week in sales since SoundScan began tracking music sales in 1991, as well as the first time vinyl sales have exceeded two million units in decades. 41,500 of those sales went to Kid Cudi, whose Man on the Moon III: The Chosen just broke the record for the biggest vinyl sales week for both a male artist and a rap album in Nielsen history.

This is the second consecutive year of LP supremacy, after 2020 was the best year in vinyl’s history, outselling CDs for the first time in 34 years. The previous weekly vinyl sales record was set during last year’s holiday rush, with 1.84 million units moved during the week ending December 24th, 2020.

The new record is a 45% increase compared to the week ending December 16th, 2021 (1.46 million), so we can assume a lot of folks were relying on records to fulfill their last-minute gift shopping needs. Cudi is certainly relishing in his success this holiday season: “This is HUGE. I wanna thank everyone who went out and copped the vinyl! This is all because of YOU! I LOVE YOU ALL,” he wrote on Instagram.

But even above Kid Cudi, the best-selling vinyl album in the past week was Adele‘s 30, which moved 59,000 copies and topped Billboard‘s weekly Vinyl Albums chart for the fifth week in a row. Its sales now rack up to 293,000 in the US alone, which explains that global vinyl shortage that’s causing all your favorite indie bands to suffer deeply. Billie Eilish‘s Happier Than Ever had an impressive year in vinyl sales, too, having sold 73,000 vinyl copies its first week of release.

Vinyl sales hit 30-year high, Kid Cudi sets rap sales record

4. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Cue all the people who’ve been saying it’s just a passing fad since 2008 or so.
    :-popcorn:

5. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

6. Jiginada

Jiginada Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yep agreed, a damn shame. We REALLY need new pressing plants ASAP. I think the argument that labels don't want to waste money on pressing plants only for the Vinyl revival to be a quick fad is laughable at this stage. The Vinyl revival started in 2006 which was the year Vinyl stopped it's 20 year long market loss by going up half a percent. This "fad" has been going strong for 15 years now, there is no fad. New pressing plants ASAP!!!!!

The Trinity and elgoodo like this.
  7. Frangelico

Frangelico Forum Resident

Apparently all those neo-bohemians that laughed at us now love us.

8. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Called it.

9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Forum Resident

:laugh: Send in the clowns!

Leviethan likes this.
  10. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Forum Resident

Great sign..

Barnyard Symphony likes this.
  11. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

I’ll be really impressed when its 40 years…

12. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Forum Resident

Lots of young people at the record store today. Even in the rain. Thought there would be no one there. Diggin for music. Only a good thing.

13. danielkov86

danielkov86 Forum Resident

Is this why records are so expensive and hard to find these days? Miss 15 years ago when I used to get LPs for $2.

black sheriff likes this.
  14. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Sure, that was fun, but now is even better if you’re in to new music by current artists.

Gaslight and Greenalishi like this.
  15. JamsOnly

JamsOnly Well-Known Member

I certainly contributed, bought more vinyl this past year than I can remember.

16. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

and the chicken littles who love to point out that vinyl as a popular niche product will never be what it was 40 years ago when it was cheap and available in supermarkets and also didn't have the internet to compete with (ie, streaming being the most popular means to consume music, not physical)

17. Thing Fish

Thing Fish “Jazz isn't dead. It just smells funny.”

This makes me very happy as I love everything about vinyl. From the thrill of the hunt to smelling the covers :D

The Trinity and Greenalishi like this.
  18. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

When that's all that's out there, what else is there to buy?

19. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Believe In Music

I am no long a vinyl guy, not since 1986, but the continual rebirth and growth of vinyl is quite astonishing to me.

20. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff