Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Vinyl Shops in Tokyo, Japan and Japan in General

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by mikemoon, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Johnny Ryall

Johnny Ryall Forum Resident

The Euro/Yen exchange is at a 3 year high and still I'm stuck here without any clue about when intercontinental travel will resume :confused:

Yes, I know, first world problems :sigh:

Harvey Rickenbacker likes this.
  2. MightyVinyl

MightyVinyl Forum Resident

The latest that I’ve heard about Japan opening for foreign visitors isn’t good, and definitely doesn’t bode well for my planned October/November expedition.

Apparently, the Japanese government pulled a bit of a Trump. Rather than dealing forcefully with the outbreak and having lockdowns etc., they have instead scapegoated foreigners as one of the causes of the problem to try to deflect blame.

The upcoming Tokyo Olympics in July were expected to be a $1.8b tourist bonanza. Instead, the government has doubled down and announced that no tourists will be allowed into Japan to attend the event. That shows how serious they are about continuing to scapegoat tourism as the problem. Since they’re passing up literally billions in tourist income in July to “keep the country safe”, I can’t imagine that they would go ahead and open up just three months later so little old me can come over and spend some money on records!

On a more positive note, my online record store sales have been booming. Ever since the lockdowns began in March of last year, I’ve posted month over month gains, with January being the best month I’d ever had and then February March and April each being significantly better than the previous month! I’ve even started a TikTok channel with videos about various bands and their vinyl releases. Just google Tik Tok mighty vinyl.

If anyone gleans any additional information about when Japan may reopen for tourists please post it here.

Lastly, I was able to find the online blog about the new Shibuya Tokyo Rocks Disk Union. From the images and things that were posted it’s clearly not what I had hoped - a store specialized in ONLY Japanese vinyl - but it looks like it has some cool stuff.

3. Sprague Dawley

Sprague Dawley Forum Resident

MV, had a look at your discogs for-sales, first item I randomly see is a dollar bin Thompson Twins LP that you're asking $25 for.

o_O

4. vakrolme

vakrolme Member

Have you seen this?

According to The Japan Times, vaccine chief Taro Kono says Japan will secure enough vaccines to inoculate all residents aged 16 and older by the end of September. [source]

I think if they don't botch it somehow, and if they don't claim that even with everyone vaccinated the borders must remain closed, like most Western governments are saying now, you might get a chance to go in November.

5. Sprague Dawley

Sprague Dawley Forum Resident

Chasm of difference between having enough doses and actually getting organised to inject them. There is ZERO urgency from the dithering bureaucrats here. Inexplicable considerimg they've scheduled the Olympics an international Covid mega-spreader event to kick off in 2 months.

6. MightyVinyl

For you, I’d go $20.

P.S. - it’s a sealed copy of one of their most popular albums. Trust me, someone will pay that much for it in the near future. I’m amazed what sealed dollar bin records go for just a few years later once the supply has dried up and collectors want a true mint unplayed copy.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  7. MightyVinyl

Well, there’s that, but then today there is this:

Calls to Cancel Tokyo Olympics Grow Louder as Emergency Extended — Bloomberg