Vinyl sound variance between outer and inner tracks

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Hazelmullins, Jan 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hazelmullins

Hazelmullins Forum Resident Thread Starter

The two point protractor I initially used was supplied with the TT, so I am not sure which version it is. The arc protractor was one of the generated ones from a link provided earlier in the thread

2. Hazelmullins

I do use a mat. I set the VTA with it though. I can certainly try without and see if it makes a difference.

3. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

The one protractor provided with the TT should be fine since it takes the arm length into account.

4. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

5. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

And you are right to set it with the mat. Just a little experiment. It may not make any difference.

6. Diapason

Diapason Forum Resident

That's interesting. I have only stereo components connected, but there are quite a *lot* of them going into that amp, and plenty in the environs, with switched-mode power supplies all over the place. Still, it seems to be only the TT affected here.

Leonthepro likes this.
  7. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I read that article quite a while ago. What I think the author fails to take into account is that some cartridges are far more sensitive to VTA changes than others. When I used the top of the line Lyras, small changes in VTA were readily apparent. When I switched to Airtights, they really were far less sensitive. Ditto with the Koetsu stone bodies-- I mean I can make a change you can hear, but generally, unless it is an extraordinarily thick record, I don't bother. I find a happy medium where the thing sounds dialed in and rarely change it, even though I can do it on the fly and it is repeatable.

8. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

It's an 80,s issue, but the Elite Townshend
    Protractor is the best I have used.
    BASICALLY you can measure distortion at every centimeter.
    By its use you will see how distortion is
    Evened out.
    Whichever gauge you use, practice
    Makes perfect.

Hazelmullins likes this.
  9. Hazelmullins

Well after all that, I decided to upgrade my turntable anyways, but all of this info has been very helpful moving forward and I will utilize it when checking and adjusting as needed on the new one.

10. Diapason

Diapason Forum Resident

Clearaudio Concept? My local dealer has an ex-dem Concept MC available that I'm currently trying to resist. Please let me know how you get on with it.

11. Hazelmullins

Yes, I ended up going with a Soundsmith Carmen MKII ES instead of the MC, but I was definitely tempted to go that route.

Diapason likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.