Vinyl Storage - Kickstarter - interesting find...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Michael Renwick, Feb 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gov

gov Forum Resident

I have one in my office. I have zero regrets buying it and it’s very sturdy. Certainly not for a serious collection (or a serious rig I’d say) but does what it does well.

[​IMG]

BCJaysfan likes this.
  2. gov

gov Forum Resident

Btw @BCJaysfan and others, I should clarify that when I say sturdy I mean more w/r/t holding lots of weight.

It’s certainly not the last word in rigidity as it does wobble a bit if you nudge it hence when I said it wasn’t for a serious rig. The floor it’s sitting on is suspended wood and I never have footfalls though.

BCJaysfan likes this.
  3. BCJaysfan

BCJaysfan Forum Resident

Cool. Yeah, I didn’t think it was a bad product, just overpriced (especially in Canada). The features don’t exactly align with my needs either. No need to hang headphones, record storage, AV equipment wouldn’t fit etc. Also haven’t measured whether my Rega lid would clear the back.

That said if I saw one hands on in store <$200 I’d might come home with it. A blind buy on the internet for $350+ is a no go (someone sells them on Amazon.ca for $530 which is way more than ordering from Line Phono)

gov likes this.
  4. BrilliantBob

BrilliantBob Select, process, CTRL+c, CTRL+z, ALT+v

Kallax shelving unit 77x42 cm. Very solid, cost effective and good looking. It may be extended with another units. Up to 130-150 records capacity.

[​IMG]

5. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I need one of these in white. They dont hold that many records though, unless you have no gatefolds or protective sleeves.

6. BrilliantBob

In a single cell of my black Kallax unit 77x42 cm I have 70 records with gatefolds and protective outer sleeves. And still is not full.

[​IMG]

7. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Is this the other end or something? I cant read any spines. Mine looks like this and only holds about 50:

[​IMG]

BrilliantBob likes this.
  8. monte4

monte4 Senior Member

Has anyone used the EKET series from Ikea for record storage? In the pictures it has a back on it plus they sell feet or a stand for it. I'm going to need more storage soon so I'm looking at Kallax and EKET.

9. BrilliantBob

In some gatefolds I have 2 or even 4 LP records. All covers and gatefolds are covered by outer sleeves. The covers/gatefolds readings are in the other side. I have access from both sides.

A full 2 cells Kallax is very heavy, so I like this simple model for better solidity and stability.

The storage can be extended from the bottom with 5 or 6 stacked units, each unit fixed on the wall and are still very stable and secure.

The price per unit is very affordable. 30 EURO brought to my door.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  10. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

The EKET looks way too flimsy to me. Apparently they are only rated for 7kg per shelf which would seem to rule them out.
    Surely with the Kallax you could add a strip to the rear of each aperture to stop the records sliding through, or even add a hardboard or thin plywood back of your own?

monte4 likes this.
  11. monte4

monte4 Senior Member

Thanks. I didn't realize the EKET was rated that low for weight. Sounds like Kallax will be it. So no back needed? Just some strips to keep the LP's in line in the rear of the shelves.

12. vinylshadow

vinylshadow Forum Resident

Folks. Consider Peaches crates. I still have mine in use from when I bought them in 1987. My good friend was the manager in one of the local Peaches.
    I have the Pine ones but they are out of stock. I need 2 more so may go with the Oak. The Pine ones will bow a little in time so I place thin paperback books in between.
    LP Album Crate

monte4 likes this.
  13. fndrblndr

fndrblndr Forum Resident

I have two EKETs that I have been using for a year plus w/o issues. Not as bulky as a Kallax and bit more classy.

[​IMG]

PhilBiker and monte4 like this.
  14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Quite a coincidence you're writing from Colorado...I bought the perfect CD chest of drawers from a shop at the Denver Furniture Mall, back in '95 or '96. It started out as a kid's room chest, but was willing to modify his plan, and build it custom for me. The drawers-tough-to hold-CD selling-point: "I have one, and I store my ammo in mine".

So I asked he replace that useless sock-drawer by making the cabinet tall enough for an extra standard drawer. Then, outfit it with file cabinet drawer hardware, that would allow me to remove the drawers individually. The only drawback was, the file cabinet hardware was deeper than the cabinet, so it had to be larger to accommodate. So he did, and made the drawers deeper as well, because we had the extra inches.

So now I have a big custom cabinet that was delivered to my house in Denver for just over $600. Last year, the local Amish carpenter business offered me a smaller option for over $1400.

I really have to start my own CD cabinet business. Because now I have the ultimate dimensions, a manufacturer who makes more shallow file cabinet drawer hardware...and I am convinced people would jump on the option of less wasted shelf space, a shape that would hold a ton of other home media items that need clean-looking storage...and don't really want to spend their lives cocking their heads sideways, just to tell if they're looking at Hugh Masekela, or Michelle N'degecello.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.