Vinyl Stores in NYC?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Aman, Apr 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aman

Aman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello guys! I will be visiting my home town again tomorrow and was wondering if anybody here knew of any good record stores around the Manhattan / Greenwhich Village area. I know of one place called "Vinyl" that was near where we lived, but their inventory was slightly low.

I am looking specifically for rock records from the sixties and seventies - used records are fine but new ones are great too!

If anybody could help I'd be highly appreciative!
    -Andrew

2. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

All of the following are in the Village area:
    Academy Records
    A-1 Records
    Generation Records
    Finyl Vinyl

Happy hunting!

3. Aman

Do you have any favorite out of those, or have you experienced any of the following stores?
    Thanks!!
    -Andrew

4. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

To be honest, vinyl shopping in NYC is a joke. Everything is WAY overpriced. THere are a few places in the East and West Villages that might be worth looking into if you are in the neighborhood, but don't be disappointed if those records that would be lining the $1 bin in every other city in America is priced over $10.

West Village (all these are walking distance from each other):
    Generation Records - Thompson Street (vinyl downstairs)
    Bleecker Street Records - Bleecker Street (vinyl downstairs)
    Bleecker Bob's Records - 3rd Avenue (this place is a ripoff last time I checked)
    Record Runner - 5 Jones Street (lots of dance and UK pop)
    Rebel Rebel - 319 Bleecker Street.

East Village (all these are walking distance from each other):
    Rockit Scientist - St. Marks Place (This used to be located on Carmine St. in the West Village, but moved to the East Village, so disregard any old address you might run across. Real eclectic mix of classic rock/soul/avant garde etc. Owner is a bit of an elitist and the typical sterotypical angry New Yorker, but definitely knows his stuff.)
    Finyl Vinyl - E. 6th Street.
    Footlights - E.12th Never been in here, but I think people on here speak highly of it.
    Second Hand Rose - E. 12th. This place is a massive ripoff. I once saw a $1 80s metal record priced at $40. Go in here if you want a good laugh.

Soho:
    Rocks In Your Head - 157 Prince Street

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

NYC is the WORST place for vinyl. Don't even bother. Go grab a canoli and an expresso. Time better spent.

6. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

Used records in NYC are expensive. I've had the best luck at Academy. BTW, Infinity Records in Massapequa Park on Long Island has a much bigger selection of used rock LPs than any of the NYC shops.

7. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Well, its all true, and the reason is these little shops in NYc have sky high rents and basically, HAVE to charge what they charge. You dont have to buy there tho.

8. Aman

Well I live in a small town in Connecticut, and I haven't had much luck around my campus either... so really NYC is my only choice for now.

I'm surprised by this - I once got a BRAND NEW pressing of a Doors Record (180gram Morrison Hotel) from a shop in NYC for fifteen bucks, and I thought that was a good deal.

I do appreciate the help, though, and I will certainly print this page out for tomorrow :) Thanks again guys!

-Andrew

9. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

Also, Virgin Megastore in Times Square carries new vinyl. I'm not sure of anyone downtown who carries new LPs.

10. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Tower Records on 4th street actuall;y carries some LPs downstairs. they have a bunch of the Sundazed stuff, and some EMI imports. not a great selection, but at least something.

11. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

In the West Village, there's also House of Oldies on Carmine Street, and Strider Records on Jones Street. But the thing about the high prices . . . yeah. On the other hand, I amassed my vast record collection (with more 45's than LP's or 78's combined) over a period of more than two decades, so it's not the same as someone starting a collection from scratch (and I don't mean as on the records themselves ;) ).

As for 78's: Last I checked, there was Records Revisited on West 33rd Street across from the Empire State Building. They're only open three days a week now (M, W, F) and you'd have to call for an appointment and ask what record you're looking for, but if you're really, really into 78's, well . . .

12. Aman

I got the deal of a lifetime!

I got Frank Zappa's 1st pressing Three-LP box set of Shut Up N' Play Yer Guitar UNOPENED for ten dollars.

I couldn't believe the guy was selling it -- I got it at Finyl Vinyl, in case anybody wanted to know.

I struck other great deals too, such as a mint copy of Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down at Broadway for ten bucks.

I visited Finyl Vinyl and A-1 records, which is where I got my Genesis LP. I also got from there two King Crimson LPs and a GREAT copy of The Grand Wazoo - all for thirty dollars in total.

My shopping trip in the city was VERY successful, and especially if you want bang for the buck, check out A-1 Records - if by any chance you're looking for an adventure and want to see if you can uncover a gem like I did today, though, Finyl Vinyl is certainly a nice place to check out.

13. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

I don't know, man. Every time I get out of a cab onto Bleeker time just flies by. To me it's music nirvana. If vinyl prices are high, to me it's offset by the great food just steps away and the cool scenery. I try to go at least once a year and it's always a treat. Just my three cents
    Peace-
    Norm

14. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

um, sorry, don't wanna harsh yer buzz, but if it came with the box, it's not the first pressing. the first pressings of those were released as three separate mail order LPs. the outside box (with Zappa at the piano) were made for the UK CBS edition much later, and then used on the US discs when Zappa decided to stick 'em in the retail stores.

15. Aman

Oh, I thought they had made a few different pressings of this box.

Well, I still think it's a good deal :D

16. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

17. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Oh, I've frequented the place on and off for years, and I'm known there very well. In fact, they've become more aware of record label fonts, pressing characteristics etc., thanks to me . . . I'm addressed as "Mr. Typeface" there. But then again, I'm known there -- what you described may be applicable to others who frequent, I guess . . .

18. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I'm with Sckott on this one as a former native and someone who gets to travel a lot, NYC is the pits. Yeah, with a lot of effort you may find one or two items but its a wasteland in general. OK now everyone hum along, I LOVE LA, to me Amoeba was created by the hand of God. Atlanta can be very good also.

19. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

this guy has turned me on to more great music than any other store owner/employee. I like to hit stores where you can get turned on to new things. This is that place. I can go in there and he'll play anything and everything I enquire about. I tell him what artists and albums I'm into and he'll pull out artists/albums I didn't know existed which I always end up buying because I fall in love with anything he's pulled out for me. Yes he know's his stuff, he's worth his weight in gold. There is nothing stereotypical about his knowledge in music. Definately a bit cranky in vibe, but he is a trip and worth a trip to see.

20. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Yeah...I was just in NYC and discovered Rockit Scientist the day before I
    had to return home to the wilds of Canada. I thought it was a fabulous
    shop for music geeks...like NYCD, only more intense.

21. heliokt

heliokt Forum Resident

Hi,

I'm glad that Finyl Vinyl is still open (or re-opened). A few years ago I couldn't find the store. That's a great place!

regards,
    Helio

22. dotwacky

dotwacky Forum Resident

Does anyone have the new address for Rockit Scientist? That's great news, by the way. I just figured they were toast when their West Village locale, which I used to walk by to get to work, was no longer there. The guy can be a bit of an a**hole, but he knows his stuff and always has the latest MOJO.

If it's still there (5th Street between 1st and 2nd Avenues in the East Village), I would recommend Gimmee Gimmee Records. Sometimes a bit overpriced, but not as much as other stores. Found some great stuff there.

23. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

Finyl Vinyl has some interesting stuff. Be warned however: it is fairly small and the owner (and some customers) are heavy smokers.

24. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

They're located on St. Mark's Place, north side of the street, between 3rd and 2nd Aves. The entrance is a couple steps down from street level.

Venus Records is a few doors away on the same block, they still have some vinyl for sale, although I couldn't tell ya about prices or condition.

25. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Some things never change!!

I big chunk of my vinyl collection was purchased in NYC in the 80s. We used to hit the St. Marks area stores (Freebeing, Sounds, Venus) before moving to the West Village (Subterranean, Bleaker's). Of all the countless times I've been in Bleaker's I bought 1 record!! Its always been a rip-off. I recently heard Subterranean was still there, that was always a great store it was on Cornelia Street (around the corner from Bleakers).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.