Vinyl Will Definitely Outlast CDs... (says WB exec!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeyH, Jul 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Agreed...lp's have outlasted mostly intact from the fifties so why not for the future?

2. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Wasn't it a WARNERS exec who just announced a few short months ago that we were going to see the return of Hi Rez music in '12 with "the details being worked out as we speak"? :confused:.I have to say through witnessing what happened with the music industry over the last ten years or so ago it seems clear to me outside of the U.S. auto industry I've never seen such a clueless bunch of execs running a business as in the music industry.There isn't a better example to be had of execs not knowing what their market wants,not sincing with the hardware manufactures,and not knowing how to market "hi rez".:sigh:

3. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Probably it means that schellac will outlast both vinyl and CD...

4. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

As long as my vinyl outlasts me, I'll be happy.

5. The reason why it´ll last isn´t the capabilities, but the mastering. If people will continue compressing the sh't out of things and making them as loud as possible, vinyl will definitely last, even though, with the right engineer of course, the same results as on vinyl can be achieved on cd and even improved.

6. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

I didn't say non-use, I said when the retailers stop making them. New cassettes haven't been made in bulk in many years, now (not sure how long exactly, but I'd estimate maybe 10 years, perhaps?) I agree that CD's will likely be used for a long time, but that doesn't mean that new ones will be made by retailers.

Vinyl has to be copied in real-time, so it's more cumbersome to do versus digital to digital copying (including Blu-Ray's). Plus you have to listen in to make sure there's no skips. There's really no way around that unless someone makes a cost-effective laser solution that can record vinyl faster than it can be played (wow, that would be NICE, wouldn't it?).

It's like recording with Spotify by recording the audio directly as it plays. You can do it, but it's time-consuming.

7. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Kinda reminds me of using high speed dubbing when copying cassettes.
    Always copied mine in real-time 'cause I didn't like the SQ from HSD.

Darryl

8. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I will say that sacd, when done right, can be comparable to vinyl. This is why I'm looking at getting an sacd player.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.