“Vinyl Wipes”

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Thesmellofvinyl, Nov 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member Thread Starter

vinylwipe 20 pack

I’m not buying the product at the above link, are you? I looked for a thread but found only the closed thread below.

I noticed on Facebook where someone asked the company how he can be sure the wipes will work and rather than answering, they referred him to a the comments on Facebook.

Unscented baby wipes for cleaning vinyl?

2. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

"I'm here to vash and vipe your vinyl."

-- The Vinyl Viper

3. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

use a Swiffer

MikeInFla likes this.
  4. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

"Our disposable wipes are 100% safe to use on your vinyl. The formula we use has been proven to work over decades - no silicone, degreasers or any other harmful chemicals have been used in the solution. Because of this, make sure to employ some elbow grease to get rid of oily fingerprints - our soft wipes are guaranteed not to scratch your records if you use them properly."
    Elbow grease? No thank you.

MikeInFla and Big Blue like this.
  5. Mayidunk

Mayidunk Just passin' through...

Nah! If they can't provide more details as to why their wipes are effective, and details as to what cleaning solution they're made with, then I would steer clear.

As always, YMMV.

Big Blue likes this.
  6. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Aside from my lack of confidence this is a safe and efficient cleaning solution, I also can’t see how it’s at all cost effective over time.

eyewanders likes this.
  7. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

OMG. I looked at their web page and this is the image they use that shows up when you first visit. The guy is sitting in front of many thousands of dollars worth of records but is wearing a Pioneer SE-205 or SE-305 headphone from the 70s. I had Pioneer SE-405 headphones back when I was in middle school. These are vintage headphones that suck. Nobody should be actually listening to them now. WTF is anyone doing using marketing material to audiophiles with an image of some idiot wearing headphones from the 70s that suck. WTF???? Based on their web page I have negative confidence that these people have any knowledge or concern for the things that audiophiles care about.

[​IMG]

bloodlemons likes this.
  8. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

"Disposable".

More rubbish that doesn't work to then pollute the place even more.

9. eyewanders

eyewanders Forum Resident

I already own Vinyl Wipes.... it's called good, clean microfiber cloths and a bottle good cleaning solution (of your choice). I have a lifetime supply.

caracallac and E.Baba like this.
  10. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I use a J cloth with bleach. Can’t be too safe during these times!!

bever70 and eyewanders like this.
  11. eyewanders

eyewanders Forum Resident

Acetone and a lighter... cure what ails ya vinyl.

richbdd01 likes this.
  12. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Me too. I have two black brushes that I insert into my Spin Clean and when used as directed they wipe away dirt!

13. AudioPhil

AudioPhil Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Gives vinyl a lovely sheen

eyewanders likes this.
  14. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

My experience is that anything that shines up the surface of your records just pushes dirt into the grooves, and you end up with one noiiiiisy record.

15. vinnn

vinnn Forum Resident

Chill, they're not meant to be a complete record cleaning solution, more for those times where you pull out a record to put on and you need to quickly wipe off gunk & marks, ideal for DJs.

This is as described by the guy who's released them as read by Frank on the Channel 33rpm youtube channel.

7 mins in

patient_ot likes this.
  16. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

as stated above. More disposable trash

E.Baba likes this.
  17. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

Don't forget the wire brush.

MikeInFla and caracallac like this.
  18. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

A DJ friend of mine tried them out after getting a sample from the company. He said they work, but again, only for a very specific use case. They aren't going to replace RCM cleaning.

19. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

No thanks - would never use these things.

20. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

Yeah, it would be perfect for DJ use. I don't see a huge downside in using them for certain applications, especially on dirty used purchases, and you quickly want to get off some of the gunk quickly, and then maybe us the RCM as a secondary clean. I don't think they're going to cause much harm, especially with these old purchases, or the DJ app as mentioned.

patient_ot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.