'Virgin Stones' on SACD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Khorn, Sep 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

I thought I read somewhere that Virgin is in the process of striking a deal with Sony to reproduce their portion of the Stones catalogue of on SACD. Anyone have info on this?

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

That was mentioned in Stereophile, yes. Right now, it's as flimsy as someone's fantasy. There's a few obsticles they might have, supposedly with publishing. I have a feeling they might release a few in SACD at a time, if ever. Wait until Billboard comes out with amazing sales info. You'll find that Sony, EMI and UNi might come around.

A lot of the Stones fans that aren't "label knowledgeable" are looking for remastered Sticky Fingers, Exile On Main St, Goat's Head Soup, It's only Rock & Roll, etc... and scratching their head.

For the people who aren't aware of SACD, the same usually doesn't know that it's only 1/2 of the Stones output got the modern treatment. It would make perfect sense for Virgin to jump very soon. I'm very glad that they "hid" the SACD information to the inside of the covers, or it would confuse them. Better to hit them with the good news when they bought it already.

3. mikenyc

mikenyc New Member

They will peak early then fizzle on the shelves, looking pitiful next to the first ABKCO "remasters"...like they do now in your neighborhood Tower.

With a list of $18.99 they "ain't got a prayer". They will only move if they are forever discounted down, below or around, $15.00.

The SACD stigma will turn off a lot of buyers. It will either confuse them completely, and they will walk away, or they will purchase it, confused that the SACD sound, they expect will sound "better", isn't there for them to actually "hear" on their conventional CD player. When they find out they have to purchase a special player, they will balk and call it "another ripoff".

It's called bait and switch...but maybe that's too harsh a term for concealing the SACD logo and not delivering it without actually buying an SACD player.

Evidence of this "resistance" is the Clearchannel/SONY in-store demos that are planned, as part of the nationwide rollout. They anticipate sales resistance, so they figure some maniac salesperson in Circuit City, is going to save their butt. Boy, talk about throwing money away on promotion.

When the customer look at the price of other SACD's on the shelf, they will walk out of the store with nothing, and forever swear it's a Rip OFF.

I know I would !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.