Visions of Ed Wood Blu-ray boxed set

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Apr 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

2. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

Glen or Glenda is often brilliant. Jail Bait is possibly his most normal film. Bride of the Monster is one of his most easily watchable. Plan 9 from Outer Space actually has a great main plot which I am surprised hasn't been pursued seriously since (maybe slightly in Night of the Creeps.) Night of the Ghouls has some eerie moments. Sinister Urge is Ed turning bitter and cynical.

Ed Wood had 10 times the heart of Michael Bay, who got 2 Criterion films. Plus, if Equinox is allowed then why not Ed?

3. Almost got me.

seed_drill, hi_watt and Scowl like this.
  4. Vidiot

And a companion release, just announced...

[​IMG]

cs2003, Leviethan, Simon A and 9 others like this.
  5. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

It should come out on Video CD.

Dan

cs2003 and Vidiot like this.
  6. Lol or boo hoo

7. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

It would be funny if the only 4K Criterion disc was Plan 9.

cs2003 likes this.
  8. Vidiot

And the soundtrack album only available on MiniDisc or DCC tape!

Actually the worst format ever made was FlexPlay, the DVD that would self-destruct after 48 hours after exposure to air:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The problem with this disc format is that it tended to not work right out of the box/bag, which kind of defeated the purpose. And Sony/Philips disavowed it completely, so they were forbidden from calling it a "DVD" per se. But still perfect for The Day the Clown Cried.

9. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

I thought that was an April Fools joke. Never heard of it before. Very interesting idea, but I can see how it fails when they don't work properly at all. Plus, I can see a lot of angry customers being disappointed that their "DVD" suddenly doesn't work anymore, regardless if and how this fact is noted on the packaging.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  10. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

At least they didn't announce a Russ Meyer Blu-Ray box. That would have been too cruel.

hi_watt likes this.
  11. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Sounds like DIVX.

12. Vidiot

Yeah, the disc version of DIVX used that technology. I always said, "this is what happens when you have a video format designed by Hollywood studio execs, lawyers, and Circuit City." Big bomb -- lost about $337 million dollars for the investors back in 1999.

Since I worked on all the earlier VHS and DVD releases for Russ, I contacted his estate and said, "hey! Let me know if you're interested in redoing all the work for HD." And they waved me away and said, "oh, we're going to take care of that. Go away." That was 10 years ago -- nothing ever happened.

My guess is that they've been approached several times to do a big Blu-ray release, but Russ' daughter and the other people running the estate named a dollar figure so high, it's scared people away.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  13. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Microcassette.

Dan

14. tonyballz

tonyballz Roogalator

Almost had me too. Damn, I was getting ready to order one.

I bet this happens one day. Hey, Criterion put out that incredible deluxe Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls, so why not Ed?

15. Holerbot6000

That's been the rumor for a long time - that the 'Russ Meyer Trust' or whatever they call themselves are very difficult to deal with and want huge licensing fees for any of the films they own. It's a shame because I'm sure all of the original film elements are available. I have some very old Japanese DVD-R's of many of his films and even those look pretty great, so I'm sure some excellent remasters are a possibility. Strange, especially now, with 60's-70's exploitation cinema having a bit of a renaissance in the physical media world, that they don't get into bed with Severin or Vinegar Syndrome or somebody. Russ Meyer movies and all those AIP classics that Susan Hart is sitting on are the two big holy grails for me of things I'd like to see get some proper love.

hi_watt likes this.
  16. Vidiot

Yes, Russ lived just below the Hollywood sign in the Hollywood Hills during the 1980s and 1990s, and told me on several occasions he had a large, fireproof, walk-in vault in his house that held the original negatives to all the films that he owned. (He had tried several times to buy Beyond the Valley of the Dolls from Fox, but the studio would not sell it.) He'd personally bring the negatives in and we'd clean them and then run them on our machines for the home video tranfsers. There are things I'd do differently today, but 99% of what you see on those transfers were Russ' decisions... and he lit the shots, operated the camera, directed the actors, and produced (or co-produced) the film. Interesting experience -- very colorful man with a thousand stories.

I have been told that the problem is the husband of Russ Meyer's daughter, who helps her run the estate. But I don't know the particulars. I think they just have a grossly-inflated idea of what the films are worth. To me, the home video rights would be worth about $50K apiece, and maybe a split of the streaming and physical media sales, but sometimes what I think and what the market realities are are far apart.

SandAndGlass, cs2003 and hi_watt like this.
  17. Holerbot6000

That's awesome. Thanks for the info. I recently saw a video interview of Russ on some old sleazy cable access show and he ends up debating a feminist psychologist of some sort who accuses him of infantilism and all sorts of things and Russ could not care less. He staunchly defends his love of women with 'prominent overbites'. I wish more people would stick to their guns these days...

hi_watt likes this.
  18. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Why?!? I have DVD versions and those are just fine for this type of material.

19. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

April Fool's Day joke? OK. But this would sell! IMO, Plan 9 From Outer Space is a great film. An accidentally great film, but a great film nevertheless.

20. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Because the thread was posted on April Fool's Day... :laugh:

21. audiomixer

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  22. misterjones

Really? Where's the definitive proof this is fake . . . or real? An odd but legitimate release on April Fool's Day would be a brilliant marketing strategy, IMO.

23. audiomixer

24. misterjones

25. audiomixer

I got an email directly from Criterion.

EVOLVIST and misterjones like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.