Visiting Atlanta, GA this weekend - any good vinyl/CD stores?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Shawn, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shawn

Shawn Senior Member Thread Starter

I'll be in Atlanta this weekend and am hoping to check out local used/new vinyl/CD stores. Can anyone make any recommendations? My tastes are varied, but I'm primarily interested in 50's/60's/70's rock. Ideally, I'm looking for independent shops but if there's a good chain store (Virgin, etc.) in the area, I'd appreciate info on that too :righton:

I know there's a few older threads on this topic, but they've been archived and I couldn't post in them. Plus, with the high closing rate of brick and mortar music stores these days, the information in those threads may not be up-to-date.

Thanks in advance!

PS - Are there any good Atlanta rock 'n roll clubs to see live music?

2. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

I used to enjoy Wax 'n' Facts in a section of town called, IIRC, Little Five Points. Haven't been to Atlanta since the late 90's. Nearby was Criminal Records, also worth a look.

3. rd1

rd1 Forum Resident

Check out Wuxtry, it's in a shopping center where Clairmont Rd. intersects with North Decatur.
    I also like Wax-n-Facts on Moreland Ave., Fantasyland on Peachtree is good, and Eat More Records out on Sugarloaf Parkway if you have the time.

I go to these stores for vinyl only, though most carry compact discs.

Have fun,

Bob

4. MichaelSmith

MichaelSmith Forum Resident

5. glea

glea Forum Resident

Wuxtry, yes, great friendly shop. Five Points had several shops last time I was there... Nov 2001. I came home home with a load of vinyl many 80's Southern post-REM items

6. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

Wuxtrey again.

I was there a couple of weeks ago and scored a couple of Brubecks I needed. Vinyl prices offer no really good bargains but a great selection of clean stuff at fair prices. Pretty good selection of obscure CDs as well.

Happy Hunting!

David

7. whoompley

whoompley Senior Member

I don't know if they're still there, but I used to shop at Eat More Records in Norcross. Loved the place. They were on Rockbridge Road.

8. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Eat More Records is now at 330 Sugarloaf Parkway Lawrenceville GA. I highly recommend it.

9. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

Decatur CD on Ponce de Leon Blvd in downtown Decatur is awesome. I scored used copies of both the Miles Davis Bitches Brew box set with the metal spine AND the Plugged Nickel box set. The store owner is very friendly and knowledgeable, his selection is constantly changing, and the prices are very fair. If you like sushi, it's very close to Sushi Avenue, which has the best sushi I've ever had. Watershed is another amazing restaurant very close to Decatur CD. Try to make it fried chicken night!

Full Moon Records in Candler Park on McClendon Ave next to The Flying Biscuit has a pretty decent vinyl selection.

I have had nothing but very bad experiences at Wuxtry. They have a good selection, but the owner has always been a complete *** to me.

Wax-n-Facts in Little 5 Points is great, too.

10. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Another vote for Eat More Records...

Also try Fantasyland in Buckhead area and Wuxtry in Decatur (suburb).

CD Warehouse in Roswell near the Roswell and Abernathy intersection has some vinyl as well.

11. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

12. ynnek4

ynnek4 Forum Resident

yeah, he always seems like he is in a bad mood.:agree:

also try ella guru and the book nook.

13. sotet

sotet New Member

Thanks for bringing this up, it looks like there are some more record stores I need to visit sometime. :D

I will add a good sentence or 2 about the Indie Record store Circle Sky - it is newer, been around bout 3 years, and much of its vinyl is from the 60-80s era. Notice the Monkees' reference in the name. Prices are OK, not a steal, but staff is knowledgeable and there is some good stuff there to buy. Circle Sky is just NE of Atlanta on Chamblee-Tucker Road, Circle Sky is very near what is called Spaghetti Junction where I-285 and I-85 make loopy connections.

14. elektrikjester

elektrikjester Forum Resident

All good recommendations--I tend to be more of a Wax-n-Facts man myself, more out of convenience I suppose. Criminal Records is awesome, but don't go there expecting to find vinyl--they have maybe only a couple hundred records, all either recent releases or major re-issues. I've been to all stores listed above and they've all got something. I mean, Atlanta could have more action in this area, but I'm grateful for what we do have.

15. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Beware the Book Nook. Check the records carefully before you buy them. I bought a copy of the Ron Wood/Ronnie Lane album there for $5 (premium price for them for a single LP) and it was the crappiest, most defective pressing I've ever seen, with little bumps all over each side. Of course, it's my fault for not having checked it out before buying, but I can't believe that THEY bought it and made it available for sale. It was entirely unplayable.

16. jpgettes

jpgettes Senior Member

Low Yo-Yo Stuff is the best vinyl record store in Atlanta IMO. They used to be located at the 40 Watt Club in Athens but moved to Atlanta several months ago.

Todd, the owner, is extremely nice and knowledgable on ALL things musical. His prices are fair. His stock is second to none in Atlanta. Huge 70s and 80s 12" 45 section; major 90s Alt section.

A must-visit.

Here's a nice read. He's much more organized than this blog states...

http://underneathica.blogspot.com/2006/11/underneathicas-guide-to-atlanta-record_5207.html

17. World of Genesis

World of Genesis Active Member

I couple of the places I would have recommended no longer exist. :(

18. rck60s

rck60s Well-Known Member

Eat More Records......

19. Todd's in Chamblee right inside 285, only open on Friday/Sat, and not long hours but he and Eat More are the two stores w/ the best selction these days. Like Eat More, he is not the cheapest either but selection and knowlege makes up for it.

None of you mentioned Records Galore, a used jazz and classical (mostly vinyl) outlet on the east side, on East Ponce De Leon (outside 285) in Clarkston. Very nice owner, does not take bank cards is the only caveat. His prices are very low, he blows everyone else away in that regard.

Also worth a look: Audio Alternative in Lilburn (3 miles from I-85, north of the perimeter) has a lot of audiophile cd and XRCD reissues. They carry some Classic Records vinyl, and some used records as well. They have an excellent supply of needles and turntable acoutrements, and a knowlegable staff. Their personalities alone will make you want to go back.

Circle Sky is not particularly known for their classical vinyl selection, but in fact they have more "Shaded Dogs" in their store than any other dealer in town.

20. mtodde

mtodde New Member

TommyTunes took me to Todd's last weekend and they had a nice selection of classic jazz at reasonable prices. I'll definitely be going back.

Eat More Records is nice but it and Audio Alternative are a hike for me but I stop in Fantasyland pretty regularly. The only issue with Fantasyland is that the lighting sucks so you may need to bring LPs to the door to check them out.

I'll have to check out Records Galore soon.

21. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

:D

22. scottabs

scottabs Senior Member

I grew up within walking distance of the old location of Eat More Records. Is the owner still the same from years ago? I think Craig was his name.

I've been in CD Warehouse a few times, but didn't know they carried vinyl. Is that new?

23. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Yes, it is still Craig Friedrich (sic?)

24. mtodde

mtodde New Member

I went to Eat More Records in the mid 80s when they were in the antique flea market on the 85 access road. My musical tastes have changed a bit since then.

CD Warehouse has been carrying used vinyl for the past year or so. Their selection isn't the widest but it is growing and the prices are fair.

25. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

As you can see from my Avatar I a huge collector. I hit all these places on a weekly basis and have done for the last ten years and have spent $$$ at all of them. So here's my take.

1. Low YoYo - Large selection and Todd does have everything just not in the store. Trying to get him to bring in something takes 6 months or more. He is severe ADD.

2. Fantasyland - Good selection, bad lighting, good prices nice guys.

3. Wuxtry - Good selection, no deals and the owner is not the nicest.

4. Eatmore - Used to be great until they discovered Ebay anything good and I mean anything goes on ebay.

5. Wax-n-Facts - Big turnover sometimes good, sometimes bad.

6. Full Moon - Mostly reissues at reasonable prices.

To the original poster, YOU LIVE IN LA, go to Amoeba, no place better on the planet. For the last two years I was there once a month, my first stop in LA, next was Rockaway. Atlanta doesn't even come close. Rarities are few and far between mostly common stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.