VM95ML Pre-Purchase Queries

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Kaskade10729, May 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Senior Member Thread Starter

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a pre-mounted Audio-Technica VM95ML (the headshell package) to replace a quickly-wearing AT95E (installed on an AT-LP120), but had a couple of questions before I do...

First, what is the optimal tracking force everyone seems to be using for this cart? Is it 2.0 grams neat? I know the max recommended is around 2.2...

Also, what is the approximate break-in period for it? I will be doing some vinyl-to-CDR transfer projects with this cart, so I want the stylus to be kind of broken in when I begin...how many hours am I looking at for ideal sonics?

2. evo777

evo777 Forum Resident

Hi...
    2.0gms.
    30+hrs.
    Make sure it's proper aligned too.

-evo777

3. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Mine's tracking at just a touch over 2 grammes, but to be honest I haven't done any messing about as the arm it's on isn't the easiest to adjust.

It should sound excellent straight out of the box, but I'd say wait for 30+ hours and it should be optimal.

Floyd Crazy and Kaskade10729 like this.
  4. Kaskade10729

Thank you both very much!

Do you think I can begin the CD-R recording sessions with the stylus just out of the box? Will it sound "that" much better if I wait the 30 something hours?

5. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I actually think it's great out of the box so I'd say yes, but just play something and see what you think.

The only issue I've had is a phono stage with too much capacitance, it still sounded very good, but occasionally bright, I swapped stages for one with 100pF capacitance and it's perfect.

6. evo777

evo777 Forum Resident

It's up to you man it's your system, if it sounds good enough,then it is good enough.

You'll know if it's fitted & aligned properly too, trust your ears as,we can't hear it from here(unless if you upload a sample of course).

-evo777

E.Baba and Kaskade10729 like this.
  7. Kaskade10729

Again, thanks very much, fellas!

Evo: Of course, if it sounds good, well, it can be considered good...but I suppose what I was asking was, is it advisable to wait until the stylus breaks in for "optimal" sound, or should it make for a good experience out of the box, burning my 12-inch and 45RPM singles to CD-R?

8. evo777

evo777 Forum Resident

Ok no worries I get you mate.
    Look all carts... yes ALL of them sound better after break-in, it's just some take much much longer than others.
    Hand made carts even of the same make & exact series can even vary,the Rega Ania I had I felt took over 200hrs... because that's when it's "sound signature'' stopped changing,to my ears.

Cheers
    -evo777

Kaskade10729 likes this.
  9. Kaskade10729

Got-cha; thanks bruv! :righton:

10. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I felt mine sounded substantially better after some break-in time. I don’t rip anything, but if I was going to, I would probably want the cartridge to be broken in first.

Mine is at 2.0g currently, but I’ve had it at 2.1g, too. What is best may depend on your arm, the individual cartridge, and may even change over the life of the cartridge. The difference in sound is pretty subtle, though, and setting it right at 2.0g should be a safe bet unless you think it sounds better set somewhere else within the range.

Floyd Crazy and Kaskade10729 like this.
  11. Kaskade10729

Thanks a bunch, Blue!

I'll set it around 2 grams when I install it, but if my digital scale is reading a touch over as I adjust it, I'll just leave it...

Should the stylus do well with IGD at the 2 gram mark?

12. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

You should have zero IGD, genuinely you shouldn't hear any with the VM95ML unless something else is awry.

13. Kaskade10729

Thanks Dub. :righton:

14. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Yep, the only IGD I ever get is on records that have IGD.

15. Kaskade10729

Thanks Blue!

16. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Feel free to experiment, but IME maxing out the VTF on an AT usually does nothing beneficial for it. If 2g is the recommended VTF, use that. A hair over is fine.

17. ogdens_sliced

ogdens_sliced Walnut Plug

Any users of the 95ML also had any experience with the 95SH as a direct comparison?

The public jury on a YT video comparing the two swung in favour of the SH being smoother than the ML. Some posters were convinced that the ML sounded brittle in comparison.

I find those comments a bit strange and out of line with everything I've read about the ML on here.

18. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I have heard two MLs and an E, one of the MLs I own having heard the first one that I set up for a family member, even though I had no intention of buying a new MM, (I was happy with my OM bodies and assorted styli), I saw a ML at a good price and bought it, for me it's that good, a cartridge that does nothing wrong and pretty much everything right for under £150 instead of £300+ which is what you'd have to pay from other manufacturers. The ML isn't the best MM in the world, others beat it at a price and my £1,000+ MCs also beat it, but it's detailed, well balanced, quiet and a fantastic tracker, you really just listen to the music with a smile on your face. I can't comment on the SH, I suspect it offers very similar levels of performance with which one one prefers being down to personal taste and how well you can set the SH up, if my income hadn't disappeared I'd have given serious consideration to buying one and comparing, other than possibly requiring more accurate set up the only downsides I can see with the SH are 200 hours less stylus life and a small price premium, I think either cart will make you happy and with regard to the ML, I've never seen such universal praise for a product on this forum, I guess that tells you something, I'd never call it "brittle".

nosliw, GyroSE and ogdens_sliced like this.
  19. ogdens_sliced

Thanks for that reply.
    Yes, I was surprised to read some of the comments on YT after, as you state, reading very high praise for it on here.
    I'm looking at it to use in a 2nd rig and it looks like it will be the winner from what I've read here and based on price. Appears to be quite the deal at its price point.

Dubmart likes this.
  20. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Just buy it, you won't be disappointed, they are often £130 on Amazon.co.uk, they are also a pleasure to set up, so quick and easy with the captive bolts which at my age is really important.:laugh:
    I use mine in my second system, but have found that it's the deck I listen to most, no more worrying about replacing an expensive MC, just great music.

Floyd Crazy, E.Baba, GyroSE and 2 others like this.
  21. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I have the ML. It's not brittle. Maybe it's the reviewers' ears not being up to scratch.

It's almost as good as the old 440MLa with that lovely clarity and does a terrific job in having a very silent background. I like mine a lot and for the money, it's killer.

22. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Forum Resident

I have been considering this cartridge for my system which is a Rogue Magnum II with a Denon DP671. Torn between this and the 540ml which is more expensive of course. Anyone have an opinion on how the 95ML may measure up in comparison? Is the 540ml worth the extra expense for performance? Would there be a discernible jump in sound if I picked the 540ml?

23. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

What is the effective mass of the arm on the Denon? Is it a fancy damped/servo damping arm? If the latter you can pick either. The 540ML is high compliance, FR is not as flat as the 95ML (small 2b rise in upper frequencies), though with some non-standard loading you could probably get it close to flat.

Both carts need low capacitance in either case. What is the input capacitance of your phono pre?

The 540 uses a four coil generator with a shield plate, so in theory it should have better crosstalk numbers. However, IME the 95ML measures a bit better than spec w/r/t crosstalk.

24. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I've had my 95ML for about a year. Nothing "brittle" about it, either subjectively or measurement-wise. I don't use Shibata styli if I can get the same cart with a more advanced stone, which the ML/MR is. That's based on past experience with Shibata on other carts and reading the patent docs, knowing the history of advanced styli, etc.

There is a lot of marketing around "Shibata" and AT has to charge more for it due to supplier costs.

My recommendation is to never judge a cartridge off a YouTube video. Hearing a couple songs isn't going to give you any real idea of what the cart is or is not capable of.

Brudr, bluemooze, Floyd Crazy and 5 others like this.
  25. ogdens_sliced

Agree.
    Was surprised people in YT land stated they prefer the shibata over micro line on the AT.
    I run a Hana ML on my main table and very aware of what a micro line can dig out of the grooves.
    I will pick up the AT ML in due course for a second rig.

patient_ot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.