VMP Anthology - The Story of Tribe Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MemoInPR, Nov 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo Thread Starter

Pre-order this Monday November 30th, 2020. Limited to 1000.

Announcing The Story of Tribe Records — a seven album collection realized by the Detroit spiritual jazz collective, in partnership with Now-Again Records. These albums sound as good – or better – than the sought after and rare original LP issues. Some were remixed from the original tapes, under the supervision of Tribe’s co-founders Phil Ranelin and Wendell Harrison, and some were lacquered directly from the original master tapes in an all-analog transfer by Bernie Grundman.

While the Tribe label has remained one of the brightest lights of America’s 1970s jazz underground, the label has never been feted with a definitive set of reissues, and has thus remained obscure. That changes now. This is your chance to indulge in the music and story of one of the most meaningful, local movements of the 20th Century Black American experience, one that expanded outwards towards the cosmos. In the words of the collective themselves, “Music is the healing force of the universe.”

Learn more here about the featured titles, as well as additional details around our Cyber Monday drop.

$299 NON-MEMBER PRICE -OR- $249 MEMBER PRICE

2. japhyman

japhyman Forum Resident

Very cool idea for an Anthology. Hopefully on Monday we find out which ones are the AAA Bernie Grundman cuts. I'll need to check out the "additional details" ahead of committing to this one.

AnalogJ and Juggsnelson like this.
  3. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

I’m in. I have all the prior Anthology sets (with Herbie on order) so can’t stop now. I’m not a VMP member, but this series is a fun ride. It has opened my ears to new music and has deepened my appreciation of some labels/artists I’m already familiar with.

Juggsnelson and japhyman like this.
  4. japhyman

japhyman Forum Resident

I just chatted with VMP and they're saying the AAA titles in this set are the 2 Phil Ranelins and also the Doug Hammond & David Durrah

5. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

Thanks for confirming this. One of the emails I received says the following:

“Seven albums, some remixed from the original tapes under the supervision of Tribe’s co-founders Phil Ranelin and Wendell Harrison, some lacquered directly from the original master tapes in an all-analog transfer by Bernie Grundman.”

Anyone care to guess what “remixed from the original tapes” may mean? (I understand the other description refers to the new AAA cuts from the analog master tapes.)

I’ve already taken the plunge by ordering the set, just curious how folks interpret the language in question.

6. japhyman

japhyman Forum Resident

I went for the set too. My guess is that in the case of these 70's indie label albums is “remixed from the original tapes” has more to do with particular tapes needing a little digital audio restoration in order to give them their best possible presentation. Maybe the liner notes & podcasts they do will give us more of the scoop on their process

7. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

Thanks. That would make sense. When I read “remix”, I think of going back to multi-tracks to make a new mix. It’s not clear to me that this type of reissue would call for such a thing. If your guess is correct, this sounds like more of a digital restoration/remastering.

8. 926am

926am Senior Member

Pushed back to March. Looking very forward to this. At least I received my poster already.

9. Vinyl Archaeologist

Vinyl Archaeologist Forum Resident

Curious to hear what people are hearing? I’ve heard there are some pressing issues but vmp is insisting it’s on the masters

10. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I listened to the first 2 LPs last night and heard no issues. Great, great music here.

11. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Same here. The first two, listened to today, sounded excellent.

I did notice in the notes that the LPs were plated at RTI, but the vinyl was pressed at GZ Media - GZ can be very hit or miss.

Greenalishi likes this.
  12. MikeT

This box is amazing. Through the first 5 LPs, and I am very pleased with the quality. Harold McKinney "Voices & Rhythms of the Creative Profile" the 5th record in the set is astounding. This is a record that belongs in any jazz lovers collection. Very funky, very jazzy - and even the vocals (not your normal jazz vocals) which appear on some of the cuts don't bother me as I thought they might. They just act like another instrument in the mix - "playing" along to the rhythm of the music.

13. LongHairedJazz

LongHairedJazz Forum Resident

Greenalishi likes this.
  14. MikeT

Why does it have to come from VMP. Since it is Blue Note, maybe we can get it as a future Tone Poet or other Blue Note release?

bmusic and Vinyl Archaeologist like this.
  15. Vinyl Archaeologist

Vinyl Archaeologist Forum Resident

This record has the look but I've listened to it a few times and I just can't sync my brain up with it. Maybe the vocals? I'll give it another shot one of these days

16. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

If anyone was late to the game, or just wanted a few of the titles from the box, it looks like Now-Again has released them all separately, as 150g repressings:

The Story of Tribe Records | Now-Again Records

I saw some of them at my local and the prices aren't bad, so I'm wondering if any of you who got the set (or the "à la carte" editions) have any further comments on the quality.

Greenalishi and AlienRendel like this.
  17. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

The LPs as pressed in the box are all excellent. I imagine the individual LPs are probably just as good. Really enjoyable.

Fractured likes this.
  18. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I saw one of these at my local was intrigued, love it. Didn’t know anything about the releases. Now I’m off too hunt down more. Also because of this discussion, Eric Gales. Thanks all.

I think they are now being put out individually according to NowAgains site. Really cool music. Love that this style is being appreciated. Gets me. Elevated music.

AlienRendel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.