Vocalion July Quad SACDs: Poco, Johnnie Taylor, Airto & Deodato, plus Angela Bofill in stereo*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bodhisattva, Jun 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Thankfully, Amazon Visa gives me no hassles whatsoever.

2. Sidewinder43

Sidewinder43 Forum Resident

Jefferson Starhip's Dragonfly, Red Octopus, and Spitfire would be nice.

Hep Alien, clhboa, Chad75 and 5 others like this.
  3. Myke

What's the name of the shipper they use again, please ?

4. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

My batch shipped by them directly is here.
    The Angela Bofill isn't a million miles removed from the jazz/soul "fusion" I did have a soft spot for around the late 70's of which her works somehow missed my radar first time is highly enjoyable with as one expect anything with some Dave Grusin input, high production values. Children of World Unite isn't just a great performance, it is a good example of her songwriting ability and ability to visualize and execute sympathetic arrangements.
    On to Poco and more familiar territory that follows the line from Sweetheart of the Rodeo (memories come back of the Pete Frame "Rock family tree" from the UK CBS History of The Byrds lp) and the emergence of Country Rock, Cantamos is the stronger album of the pair but that's not to say Seven lacks its own merit remaining great examples of what is possible within the genre.
    The mastering on both sacds is well balanced putting the emphasis on the vocals in a rich tonal palate with a wide dynamic range so anyone who liked Steve's work for DCC would enjoy the sound on these while at the price are an absolute steal. Recommended.

5. bktouchstone

bktouchstone Forum Resident

Thanks for the review. This is making me anticipate this even more. My last order only took about a week to get here, but the first took about a month. I may have to be patient, which is hard when I read good reviews.

fredblue likes this.
  6. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Ordered Deodato and Rick Derringer from their ebay site with ebay 15 percent off sale...cut out the shipping costs at least....

fredblue likes this.
  7. Sidewinder43

Seven was very good, given that it was released only 6 months or so after Crazy Eyes and was the first album w/o Richie. I agree that they got their feet firmly under them with Cantamos. Think of this: Crazy Eyes, Seven, and Cantamos all in a year's time. Today it would be 10 years.

8. Sidewinder43

Another one for the wish list: Chase S/T. The quad would be awesome with all of those trumpets flying around.

9. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

What's the possibility of So Long, Bannatyne coming out on SACD and did it come in Quad?

10. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

It's the only LP, besides the live one, not to come out in quad. Cuts from both are on the GH albums in quad, however.

Rigoberto likes this.
  11. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Well that's good enough. The only song I'm really after is Rain Dance since that's my favorite Guess Who track. The two GH albums would make a great twofer.

Myke likes this.
  12. Myke

13. Myke

Right up Vocalion's alley. :agree: I couldn't pass on that, even with owning the superior AF SACD.

14. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

I could be wrong but I don't think DV will go back to the Guess Who well just yet.. we've had a fair chunk of Rock/Pop/Soul from them more recently, they're seemingly overdue a batch of Classical Quads and another batch of Easy Listening Quads, its been a wee while since they've released Quad SACDs of either of those kinds of genres.

taking an overview of all they've released so far, its a pretty wide-ranging mix of music, so I doubt whatever comes next will be any less than interesting, maybe even surprising, potentially amazing! its a case of "watch this space", i guess! :goodie:

15. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Superior to what, the Q8?

16. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

They have not been released or even licensed by Dutton Vocalion and already you are reviewing them as inferior to the AF. :)

17. fredblue

Johnnie, Poco, Airto, Deodato (and Chet from the previous batch) have arrived! :pineapple:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

nice colour pic in the Airto/Deodato booklet;
    [​IMG]

the attention to detail level has gone up a notch, including all the personnel, production and engineer information, plus pages of comprehensive liner notes, as per the last few batches;

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  18. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

"Superpickers" is great! Really discrete.

art and fredblue like this.
  19. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Well considering they are doing another pressing of the Guess Who title after selling out of them maybe they will. I asked them about it and they replied "we’ll see what more we can put out of them".

art likes this.
  20. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Cantamos before Seven? That's weird.

allbrosca and Larry Geller like this.
  21. Myke

Likely confused by the inclusion of the live album in the decision to name the album Seven, in the first place. :wtf:

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I would have expected them to be sequenced by release date...but it's a minor complaint!

23. fredblue

DV did the same thing with the Guess Who 2-fer putting Road Food out of whack chronologically before #10., i'm guessing its a sequencing/flow aesthetic thing done on purpose rather than a blunder.

edit: though i love Cantamos & Seven equally, maybe DV chose to sequence Cantamos first possibly because Side 2 of Seven is kind of slowest material of all 4 sides across the 2-fer?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    Hep Alien likes this.
  24. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

So that explains why it's suddenly unavailable from crazygreen8 at Amazon Canada. Will make sure I get a copy from the second run

25. fredblue

they may want to focus on the better Quad mixes at this stage?
    some of the Guess Who Quad mixes are said not to be quite upto the same quality as #10 and Road Food.

Hymie the Robot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.