Volume 1 albums for which there was never a volume 2...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Aar Gal, Jan 21, 2021.

1. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

I’m a huge Neil Young fan but have to say that fortunately there was no Road Rock V. 2. The friends and relatives band was uninspired and embarrassing. By far his worst live effort.

ARK and Jake362 like this.
  2. Meddler

Meddler Forum Resident

Roger Waters - Flickering Flame: The Solo Years Volume 1

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  3. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

[​IMG]

Brian Setzer's Rockabilly Riot Volume 1
    Setzer did make a second Rockabilly Riot studio album ("All Originals") but forgot to mention that it was "Volume 2"!

4. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

The Clash - Story of the Clash Vol. 1

CDFanatic likes this.
  5. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I guess the flame went out.

EG.

ARK and sharedon like this.
  6. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

In the sleeve notes they're constantly referring to a second volume which never came out.

Buddybud likes this.
  7. JohnGoober

JohnGoober Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    The Paper Chase - Someday This Could All Be Yours Vol.1

The band split up before we ever saw Vol.2

8. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

There's two more in that same Legendary Masters Series with only a volume 1:
    • Eddie Cochran
    • Ricky Nelson

rockerreds likes this.
  9. 24JGM

24JGM Forum Resident

Well, I figure the concept was contemporary live releases (ie. the F&R tour was 2000 when RR was released), so Volume 2 would have conceivably been of Poncho & the MG's from the next tour then Volume 3 being solo or Crazy Horse Greendale period and so on. As far as Road Rock itself, notwithstanding the mixed results of Pegi and Astrid on background vox, I've always thought the mix was a bit muddled and didn't showcase the band in the best possible form. The Big Island Transmission that's shown on NYA from time to time is a great document of how good the F&R band was.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Huh - then I stand corrected! :)

Though maybe that was just Mendelsohn's wishful thinking?

11. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I think it was called 'Four More (or Less) Respected Men'. I haven't got the album handy at the moment.

12. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

There was no Part Three to The Residents "Mole Trilogy"....does that count?

edenofflowers and joebacons like this.
  13. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

The Scottish heavy psych trio Human Beast only release from 1970.

14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I found the liner notes online. 2 references to a potential 2nd set:

"The Kink Kronikles contain a number of selections whose presence the Kink kultist and the curious non-kultist alike might quite reasonably dispute. Both are hereby requested to take into consideration that, since the number of tracks that may be squished onto two standard- size LP's by no means equals the number of thoroughly splendid Kinks tracks in the Reprise vaults, an armful of abundantly eligible candidates for this collection had to be left off. Until Reprise deems the moment propitious for the compilation and release of Son of Kink Kronikles, your humble kronikler accepts all responsibility that overlaps the above consideration for the infuriating absence of..."

"Like "Where Did My Spring Go" (coming soon on Four More Or Less Respected Gentlemen or Son Of Kink Kronikles), its inexplicably sprightly music all but obscures its tragic theme, as if to imply that some things can drive one mad if one doesn't learn to perceive them ironically."

If we view these liner notes as the indication that "Kronikles" promised a 2nd volume... then we did get one:

[​IMG]

15. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

Ween - Shinola. Vol. 1

Which is a shame. There’s enough high-quality material for many more volumes.

tagomago and vince like this.
  16. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

17. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

They wanted to release volume 2 called No Future but that sounded too much like a punk record

Eric_Generic likes this.
  18. Talmi K

Talmi K Forum Resident

19. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

He continues to be the most streamed deceased artist so even in death he seems to have a pretty healthy future.

20. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Even though it wasn’t part of the Legendary Masters Series, there was a follow-up to the Ricky Nelson title. It was released the following year and picks up where Vol. 1 left off...

[​IMG]

21. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

22. idledreamer

idledreamer Still idle

Hall & Oates Rock 'n Soul Part 1

23. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I love it too!
    I love the documentary even more!!
    The letdown to me are the pick of some 'mediocre' mainstream country artists in an era where they had:
    Alan Jackson, George Strait, Garth (yes! the guy can sing, check out his covers box set),
    Dwight Yoakam, Marty Stuart, Johnny Cash, George Jones, Shania Twain, Faith Hill,
    Trisha Yearwood, Joe Diffie, Vince Gill, Hank Jr, Alison Krauss,
    Gary Allan, Waylon Jennings......
    shall I go on?
    Two of the best never made it, Rodney Crowell and Tammy Wynette.
    :shrug:

24. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

If I remember correctly, George did record material for volume 2 but of course this was the time of his problems with Sony. I think some of the material was either released as singles or on compilations such as the Red Hot Rhythm and Blues collection.

This is what they should have released in the reissue of the album, rather than the Unplugged show from 6 years later. It would be great to know what the tracklisting would have been for volume 2 if they had got that far.

VH3FAN and Eric_Generic like this.
  25. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

There was The Backstreet Boys' Greatest Hits - Chapter One. I guess we can't blame them too much for being optimistic.

Man at C&A and Jarleboy like this.