VOXATIV full-range speakers from Germany, I heard the new Pi 9.87 system, can be powered by 2 watts!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, May 31, 2015.

1. Ozoid

Ozoid Member

It's too late in the day to figure out Photobucket, so here's the primary link to the Omega alnicos I'm waiting for: http://omegaloudspeakers.com/superalnicomonit.html

Because the speakers are made to order, I asked him to use his wide-baffle cabinet design, like this, but just a single alnico driver in each cabinet: http://omegaloudspeakers.com/omegaoutlaw7-1.5.html

Louis Chochos, the driver designer & cabinet maker has been in business for about 10 years, I think. Sells direct only. An Omega owner in Chicago was kind enough to invite me over to hear them and there's something quite magical about the speaker's tonality, how it represents timbres.

There are some reviews, Jeff Day on 6 Moons, for instance.

I'll be driving them with a Decware SET; also planning to acquire an MC-225 in the near future.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your Host Your Host Thread Starter

Looks interesting, never heard them so I have no idea about sound. My old Lowthers had a nice midrange tone but were so obviously lacking in other areas that I would have never lasted with them..

3. Larry I

Larry I Forum Resident

The Omegas look interesting, I will have to keep an eye out for them (I don't recall ever hearing these speakers). I have heard a few full range Lowther systems, but, like Steve Hoffman, I have not heard any that I would want on a permanent, long-term basis. While I really like the liveliness and dynamics, the upper midrange and lower treble are way to prominent and ragged for my taste. However, I have heard systems that used Lowther drivers in multi-way applications that sounded pretty good and reasonably free of the typical Lowther coloration. The top end Horning speakers manage to do a fair job of taming the bad qualities of Lowther drivers (they modify the Lowther and use it as a midrange). I heard a very nice sounding Surreal Sound system that used a field coil Lowther from 125 Hz on up, with a very elaborate dipole bass system (active crossover/equalization and dedicated woofer amp) that sounded very good under show conditions.

4. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

I think they are better and more accurate than most Lowther designs I have personally heard. They're not perfect, but Louis has worked pretty hard on his single drivers to remove what many people would call the "Lowther Shout" in his designs and they have a nice smooth balance and tone throughout most of the frequency range. At 40 - 20 kHz the AlNiCo monitors (or towers for that matter) are not going to win any awards for sweetest highs or lowests lows though ... and I love bass so I supplement mine with a subwoofer with good results (but slow subs need not apply).

These things are super fast and their ability to start and stop on a dime and let go of the notes, along with their 3D imaging are 2 of their strongest attributes. As already mentioned, there is something magical about the 3D holographic imaging you get from them that makes you forget most of its short comings though.

5. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC

Last year, I was very lucky to meet John Howes in the south of England (in East Sussex), where he represents Voxative and runs a museum devoted to the history of Lowther and Voight. There I heard more than one model of Voxative, and soon-after heard another model at an audio show nearby (in Brighton). In every instance, I was extremely impressed with their ability to reproduce very convincing dynamics, speed, and natural timbre. These qualities combined to present a lively and realistic sense of real instruments playing in front of me.

I think that after Steve experiments with various alternatives of electronics ahead of his Voxatives, he will find a stunning combination. Maybe full Audio Note will make the right magic. Sorry, I just felt like planting that suggestion, but really I think it will be just a matter of trial-and-error until the nuances lock into perfection.

Plus, he's got the subwoofer settings to play with AND the possibility (actually probability) of standing waves to deal with, by making small adjustments in speaker position.

6. Steve Hoffman

This is so cool.

http://www.lowthervoigtmuseum.org.uk/index.html

beowulf likes this.
  7. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

8. WHitese

WHitese Forum Resident

I can imagine how nice Lute, et al...music would sound through these drivers...

9. Complin

Complin New Member

So are the Voxativ PI more or less directional than the Lowthers?

10. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

@Steve Hoffman - Hi Steve it's been a while since you gave us an update on the Voxativ speakers. Can you share some of your impressions after living with them for several months now? Perhaps you can give a few comments of the Voxativ in comparison to your Audio Note speakers that seem to steal a lot of attention on the forums?

Thanks!

p.s. I see they're not listed in your profile ... does that mean you aren't in possession of them any longer?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    Ozoid likes this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

They are in my profile, under "studio playback." Great, fun monitors.

12. mmco

mmco New Member

Hello from Denver Steve. I heard the Voxativ 9.87 at RMAF 2016 and bought the show setup including his 211 integrated tube amp. Holger was great to deal with and I had great fun listening to them for 3 days. I am curious if you ended up changing any of the Voxativ cables. I also bought all the Voxativ ICs and speaker wire. I haven't tried anything else and found your thread. I am a newb to the site and cannot access your profile yet.....

Thank you in advance.

13. rghanbari

rghanbari Active Member

9.87's ordered! Looking forward to joining the club. @Steve Hoffman any tips for dialing these guys in?

14. Steve Hoffman

Congratulations.

One trick that works for me:

The speakers can be aggressive if towed-in towards you (at least they were to me). If you fire them straight ahead, no toe-in, they work perfectly (the tonal balance that I love.) If you want more upper mids and top, slightly toe but don't overdo it.

Enjoy, beautiful speakers, wonderfully made!

15. Steve Hoffman

I had the speakers for one fun year. I used their cables, of course. I miss those dudes. I have a pair of Voxativ Z in the house and use them downstairs. They are fun but nothing like the old setup.

16. rghanbari

rghanbari Active Member

Thanks for the tip Steve, I'll definitely keep that in mind. I was also considering the Voxativ Z's, but couldn't find a place to audition them. Having had both, what's your impression between them?

17. Steve Hoffman

Pi 9.87 is King. Everything else ain't.

beowulf, Catcher10 and rghanbari like this.
  18. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Outstanding!!! That is an excellent gesture, glad they met your requirements, looking forward to hearing more about your impressions. Side firing subwoofer is nice.
    What is the cabinet made from.....MDF?

Awesome!!

19. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Hopefully Baltic Birch for that sort of money.

jeff

20. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I actually prefer MDF and not plywood. MDF is homogenous in design and the density is the same throughout the thickness of panel , there are zero voids in the core. Unlike plywood that can have core voids.....Plus the super smooth surface of MDF gives speakers that piano gloss finish look.

Either way those Pi speakers are nice

21. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

Lol