VPI 16.5 machine

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rpd, May 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpd

rpd Senior Member Thread Starter

How many times do most of you go around (how many revolutions) when cleaning a record. How many when rinsing a record? How many times do you rinse each record?

2. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

I switched from DD to RRL, which needs no rinsing, just a vacuum.

1) Clean with RRL Deep Cleaner/DD brush by hand, then 2 vacuum revolutions on the VPI

2) Clean again with RRL Super Vinyl Wash/different DD brush by hand, then 2 vacuum revolutions on the VPI.

Best results I've ever had. I'm even in the process of recleaning LPs previously cleaned with DD fluid.

3. rpd

I guess you figured I use DD. What do you like better about RRL? Just less hassle or better results???

4. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Both, really. I used DD, too, and felt it was THE fluid until I gave the RRL fluids a try based on some buzz about it being fantastic.

I think the DD has fine products, but I'm getting better results with RRL fluids. The key to getting the best out of the DD fluid is that tedious rinsing stage, which isn't necessary with RRL.

I'm also getting quieter records using RRL fluids with what seems to be an increased "opening up" of the sound. Dunno if it's merely subjective due to less noise, but it sounds a bit more open to me. Bear in mind I rinsed *very* thoroughly with the DD fluid, so I know I was using it correctly. I'm getting quieter records with RRL, simple as that. The stuff just vacuums off like a dream.

I still think DD brushes are easily the best, though. My understanding is he's *on* to this trend and last I heard he wouldn't sell the brushes without the fluid. Dunno, haven't tried to get any yet. I know a lot of people are having a time trying to find 'em, though. I have a stash for the time being, but if I have to buy the fluid to get the brushes I guess I will and then put the fluid on eBay or Audiogon. Oh well.

5. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

RRL is what I'm currently using on my VPI machine. I have never used DD products. RRl was recommended to me by Brian Hartsell. It does leave records quite quiet!!!!

6. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Darn, and I bought all that Disc Doctor stuff too! :mad: If you remember, I'm way less than impressed with their overpriced products! IMHO the cheapo stuff I got from Audio Advisor still worked better. :sigh:

What's RRL, though? Did I miss another record cleaning thread?

7. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

RRL = Record Research Lab.

8. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Here is a link to their site.
    Anyone try the RRL stylus cleaning solution?
    Cheers-
    Norm
    :righton:

9. Brian J

Brian J Forum Resident

I scrub manually and then the soap would be removed in one rotation. As this step concludes I apply the rinse liquid that takes about 2 turns for a dry LP. About 4 rotations in all, with the motor on at all times.
    Have always used the VPI solution and brushes with great results. Really dirty records are few and they warrant a second clean process.

Brian

10. chosenhandle

chosenhandle Forum Resident

I guess I don't see how the RRL is less work than the DD. You have two steps with both. The RRL deep clean then super wash. The DD is the same; clean then rinse. I have tried both and seem to prefer the sound of the DD. But as most of you have said, it is totally subjective.

I have wondered if using the DD for cleaning and the RRL Super Wash for rinsing would be of any value. Maybe it will cause a mutant solution that wants to rule the world or something.

11. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

You have to rinse like crazy with DD, that is the difference.I get good results with DD but I rinse and rinse. I use a lot of distilled water, I make a noticeable dent in a gallon jug when I clean just 5 or 6 records. I may have to give RRL a try if I can ever find the time to clean my ever growing pile of records.

12. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

SO far I have use the VPI & RRL fluids with my machine.

I prefer the RRL. The records seem quieter. Depending on how dirty the record is, I scrub the LP anywhere from 2-10 revolutions. I vaccuum 3 revolutions and I'm ready.

Sean

13. Paul Chang

Sean,

If the record is really dirty, you may need to pre-clean it with something stronger than the RRL Vinyl Wash. I usually vacuum two revolutions. I also keep my Zerostat anti-static pistol handy just in case the record accumulates static from vacuuming.

14. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

If I get a record that appears pretty grungy, I first give it a few swipes with an old Discwasher brush (about $10 including the little thingy of Discwasher fluid), then use an Orbitrac ($40). I actually put the Orbitrac to anything that wasn't sealed before I begin the real cleaning. Sounds like a pain but it only takes a minute and it'll go a long way in enhancing your results.

Since the DD brushes aren't exactly cheap, I'm pretty particular about what they contact, as I'm sure a lot of folks are. IMO, it's a good idea to get as much gunk and loose debris off used records as possible before moving on to the DD brushes, otherwise, you're just grinding that stuff around in the grooves. I don't worry about the mold release compounds on sealed records. RRL or DD fluid will handle that.

Take care of the rekkids, and the rekkids'll take care of you. :D

15. rpd

Anyone else have a 16.5 drain hose that is getting moldy??? I have some black mold spots inside the hose itself...

Any way to clean/avoid this in the future???

16. Paul Chang

17. JMT

JMT Senior Member

I have been using the Buggtussel cleaning solution. Using the heavy duty solution on very dirty albums, and the regular solution on those just prior to play. I find that the Bugg juice spreads much easier than the VPI solution, and vacuums cleaner. Typically two revolutions is sufficient.

First post, hello from California.

18. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

I have a 17F, I drain the pan through the hose after each use and then I leave the clamp off of the drain hose so that it can dry before the next cleaning, no mold yet.

19. rpd

I think that is my problem. I don't leave the hose "open"...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.