VPI 16.5 now over $1,000

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joel S, Jul 1, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident Thread Starter

$1,045, to be exact. VPI has a problem controlling its costs. The fact they assemble their products instead of manufacturing the parts in most cases doesn't help. They were raising prices aggressively even before the inflation began. But $1,045 is too much for an RCM. I guess I'll look into alternatives.

enfield likes this.
  2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

What is the point of this thread; asking for alternatives or merely a rant about high costs for that product?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
    COBill and onemug like this.
  3. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

I'm using an old turntable work area and a hand-held carpet shampooer for a vacuum (use it for its intended purpose too - separate brush). With brushes and cleaning solution - under $200CDN.

poe_man likes this.
  4. Joel S

Not a rant. More like a lament.

33na3rd likes this.
  5. Joel S

KAB EV-1 with a house vac gets good reviews for $149 (not including the vacuum).

BluTorch likes this.
  6. riddlemay

riddlemay Forum Resident

If it were "merely" a rant about the high cost of a product, why would that not be relevant to this board?

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  7. scottys

scottys Here I am, you pod bastards!

Nice. My RCM now costs 1600.00. Much of my gear has increased in price. Perhaps if I show my wife she will encourage me to buy more gear. :pineapple:

8. Joel S

Why is your berating me useful to this board? You made your point. Move on.

Vinny123 likes this.
  9. scottys

I think he was defending you.

riddlemay, macster, BluTorch and 2 others like this.
  10. Joel S

Are we talking about the same person?

11. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

Except hes not berating you, but rather supporting you.

scottys likes this.
  12. Joel S

riddlemay, macster, TwiceFan and 2 others like this.
  13. scottys

That is the only quasi good thing about inflation is the self gratitude - that you spent lots of money for stuff/work BEFORE inflation kicked in. I spent a ton of money on my house in the last 5 years that would have been crazy expensive to do today - not to mention dealing with supply change issues.

COBill, Ilusndweller and ggergm like this.
  14. Ilusndweller

I just noticed today that the fill dirt on craigslist around here went up from $175/16 cubic yards (delivered) to $350 in less than a year:yikes:, what gives? Note: I never bought from this particular source(which now is the only source advertising on CL), just saying. :)

ggergm likes this.
  15. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

That would be a Mat Weisfeld's aluminum version of papa Harry's machine, the MW-1 Cyclone. I own one of those, too.
    We'll do the Scottys Dance together! :bdance::bdance:

Frankly, I don't find it surprising the price of the 16.5 has gone up. I think it's more remarkable VPI was able to keep it at $650 for a couple of decades.

For your musical dollar, I still think it's a value for $1,045.

16. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Not something that is irrelevant to this board but the thread title and content of the OP should match. If I start a thread called "What's for dinner?" and in the OP start talking about how I dislike mismatching cutlery sets, these are 2 different topics... hence my question as to what the purpose of the thread was. :)

As for the high price of RCMs, I agree that they are inherently expensive for what they are. I own an Okki Nokki (original version) and although I wouldn't say I'm in love with it, it does perform adequately and certainly cost far less than the VPI RCMs!

17. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

I would look at the Used Market, I bought my VPI 16.5 for around $300. a few years back, I'm sure they're a little higher now, but still considerably less than new

I've cleaned 100's of records with it and it's never faltered. I've only replaced the drain tube with a longer one and a few Felt Strips on the suction tubes.

Pretty basic design and trouble free that will last for many years.

macster likes this.
  18. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Good Lord Man, what's a good load of Top Soil bring in your area?

Ilusndweller likes this.
  19. Ilusndweller

20. nutsfortubes

nutsfortubes They tried to kill us, and we won!

Glad I got mine about 1982 for $300.00. Still going strong.

21. FuzzyNightmares

FuzzyNightmares Forum Resident

I couldn’t give mine away for free lol

SteveFord likes this.
  22. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Dirt is a funny thing. It costs money to get it and it costs money to get rid of it.

cmcintyre and Ilusndweller like this.
  23. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

You don't need a VPI. There are plenty of alternatives that will get you quality sound for cheaper than those units. My turntable is over 45 years old and still going strong. Nowhere close in price to $1045.00 when new.

24. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

What is your foundation in drawing this conclusion? I've worked in manufacturing for decades. So let's address some flaws in you statement. Assembly is in fact a manufacturing process. It's the final process. Most companies that manufacture follow the method of outsourcing the components reserving only the final assembly process for themselves. This is because you can control the quality of what is delivered to the customer. Quality Control and cost controls can be implemented through the combination of long term contracts and engineered drawings and specifications. This is how manufacturing is done these days. It reduces inventory levels which greatly reduces overhead costs. Controlling overhead is how reduce costs. There isn't any saving in costs if you have machinery and storage for raw materials under roof if you aren't constantly using them. Think about what an RCM is. It's a box with a platter turned by a motor with an arm connected to vacuum motor that collects fluids into a storage tank. What parts do you think VPI would use constantly that could fabricate in house with constant use of the machinery? The only thing I can think of is box which represents the lowest cost of the product. Everything else for a years worth of parts could be fabricated in less than a month. So there is what I would say is 11 months of carrying costs that do not contribute to cash flow. This is the reality of manufacturing. You outsource because don't want these costs under your roof.

macster likes this.
  25. macster

macster Forum Resident

Yup

He was defending you and your comments.

M~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.