VPI 16.5 Record Cleaner help

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TakiJones, Sep 5, 2021.

1. TakiJones

TakiJones Senior Member Thread Starter

I've owned my VPI 16.5 cleaner for about 15 years.

Recently everytime I vacuum a wet record, it leaves a circular film about a quarter inch into the first track around the entire record.

I've been using felt vacuum tubes from Elusive Disc.

Is it time to replace it?

2. Dylan Terhune

Dylan Terhune Forum Resident

Likely something built up on the felt... how often are you replacing those?

(I've had my 16.5 about the same amount of time, I replace the felt tubes frequently)

3. TakiJones

Actually the felt tubes are pretty new.

I've only used them a few times.

Thinking there's another issue I haven't thought of.

4. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Sounds like there is something physically "off" in the alignment of the vacuum wand -- what does it look like when it is down on the record? The spring loading should not hang it up, but if the wand isn't aligned to cover that part of the record that would obviously be the reason why you aren't getting suction at the outer rim. (I'm working from memory here-- had a 16 converted into a 16.5 from the mid-80s til the end of 2016 when I gave the machine to a friend-- it would not die!). There's also an angle thing about the slot. I'd have to go to the directions to remember which way it points, but it is not supposed to be completely slot on record, but at a slight angle.
    You have suction when you turn on the vacuum, yes? Did you put the "felt" suction pads in the correct alignment on the wand tube? As I remember, you can get that wand tube into the upright pillar and it may be a solid "fit" but could still be misaligned-- something you should probably be able to discern if you watch it work.
    I'm just stabbing in the dark here, but if it otherwise sucks the liquid off the rest of the record, and there's nothing odd about how the record is clamped down, warped and the platter of the VPI RCM is level, there's not much else to it. I'll bet you figure this out....

Satrus likes this.
  5. TakiJones

Will try all your suggestions.

Thanks to both for your replies.

6. TakiJones

Finally found out what the issue was.

The cork mat.

Cleaning without it solved the problem.

breakingglass and Dafox like this.