VPI 3D tonearm upgrades

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Feb 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

Has anyone here done a 3D tonearm upgrade on their VPI table. I am considering this and was curious what sound differences you heard...?

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I have a VPI Prime which came with that arm so I'm afraid I can't perform a comparison.

Though, if that's OK, I'm also wondering about whether anybody's heard of a difference between the lengths of tonearms, since the 3D ones go all the way to 12". Mine is the standard 10" and VPI also makes a 9" model.

There's a 10" one for sale on USAM for $1300.

David P. Hill likes this.
  3. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Can you be more specific about from which arm you would change? I went from a 9” metal to the 10.5i to the 10” 3D, to now the 12” 3D. In each case the change resulted in a smoother, more balanced sound, as well as extension at both ends of frequency range.

John K

ellingtonic, LeeS and Strat-Mangler like this.
  4. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

I also upgraded my Classic 2 to a 3d arm and experienced very similar results as @the Gage. Expensive but worth it.

ellingtonic likes this.
  5. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

My Classic came with a JMW 10.5i metal wand. I had it this way for around 2 years. When I bought a 3D arm, I immediately noticed smoother treble. As in, when the volume was really cranked up, the metal wand was brighter sounding. Especially when cranked up. I can't say I noticed any change in bass response though. But I've since bought a 2nd 3D arm and sold off the metal one.

ellingtonic likes this.
  6. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Interesting thread. The gimbled arm Prime was on my short list when it came time for a new table. The non metal arm was a factor in me choosing another.
    Not saying they are bad, just came at a time when I wanted to go back to a metal arm.

7. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I'm hugely skeptical of it - but the real benefit comes from simply having a second arm - which is akin to many headshells (though very $$) - that of it self is worth it. Someday I'll try it - for that reason.

8. LeeS

Yes, an older 9" JMW tonearm to the 9" 3D tonearm.

beowulf likes this.
  9. Strat-Mangler

Don't quote me on this but I vaguely remember reading the idea was that the metal would transmit more vibrations whereas the 3D-printed material is less prone to doing so and that is the basis for the SQ difference between the two. That and the difference in weight.

10. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

VPI posted recordings of both arms years ago - majority of folks - including me - couldn't tell any difference.

I also like the ability to liquid dampen the arm - which I believe they've taken away with the new 3D primes.

11. Helom

Helom Forum member

I know of one VPI dealer who doesn't think much of these "plastic" (his words) arms.

12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I had my 3D arm and Junction box upgraded to reference wiring. I am very happy with the results and from all reports this is a worthy upgrade.

LeeS likes this.
  13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The new arms have copper tubes inside. They are more than plastic.

LeeS and macster like this.
  14. Slick Willie

So what's the plastic for?

15. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Well, I think the copper is just shielding around the wires. The 3D printing allows them to make a much more complex internal tonearm structure for better vibration management, at least in theory.

16. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I don't know and I don't care. Why don't you email Harry Weisfeld? [email protected]
    What I do know is it performed and sounded better than the steel arm on my Classic. I would describe it as more detail and natural timbre.

17. Slick Willie

No need, they'll probably just go with the flavor of the week.
    With your gear, your review would mean more.
    Do you feel as other state - it (metal) favors the highs over the resin?

18. Helom

Helom Forum member

So the arms have an internal truss/stiffening structure? Not just a hollow tube?

19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Actually the resin was better, with clearer presentation. Fremer did a blind test on his site comparing the steel arm to the resin arm. You should check it out.

LeeS and Slick Willie like this.
  20. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

It might be more economical to sell or trade in your table to a current production table (that comes with a stock 3d arm) than replace the arm to a 3d version. Just another option as well.

ellingtonic and LeeS like this.
  21. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Well, apparently so, I've never cut one open to examine it, just going by what they say in reviews and ad copy. There's a ton of potential, but I'm not sure how much of that potential they utilize ... maybe we can talk @Tullman into cutting one of his open and snapping some shots for the benefit of the SHTV team, one for all and all for one ...

The 3D armtube takes its name from the additive manufacturing (or "3D printing") process used to produce it. I’ve described that in some detail in the Classic CD/3D review, so I won’t cover the same ground here. The really important aspect of this is that the manufacturing method allows the creation of a single-piece structure, from cartridge platform to counterweight stub, that can be optimally shaped and formed to provide a totally even mechanical response. It’s not just a case of being able to produce shapes that can’t be machined; the wall thickness, the internal structure and even crossbracing can be infinitely varied, so that in conjunction with Finite Element Analysis (FEA) modeling, the resonant character of the piece can be almost infinitely refined... VPI's 3D-Printed Tonearm Upgrade - The Audio Beat - www.TheAudioBeat.com

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    Tullman likes this.
  22. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

I have the original version 1 of the 12" arm I got with my Classic Signature.
    I'm curious to get some detailed comparison with the new fat version of the arm. I forget what they call it.
    I thought I might like to upgrade but it's a fair bit of money (especially for us Canadians).

I might just enjoy my turntable for a few more years and then get off the VPI wagon.
    It's not like I have any complaints, it sounds great. But then I've never compared tons of tables.
    VPI's continual tweaking and upgrades so frequently (at least in the past) bugs me I guess.

LeeS and Slick Willie like this.
  23. Slick Willie

:kilroy:

24. LeeS

Considered this. Would need at least $3k more for what I want. Just doing an interim fix while I save up for a fancy model.

Timeless Classics likes this.
  25. Strat-Mangler

There's a Prime for $2900 on USAM, I think. No idea if that's still out of your budget but thought I'd mention it.

LeeS likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.