VPI — Anyone Else Notice the Price Increases?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cyclone Ranger, Aug 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

VPI Classic Direct was $30k became discontinued and the HW 40th Anniversary DD that I saw in the latest Music Direct catalog is $15k. My post was wondering why, those Thin Gap motors (Continuum used them in the Criterion and Caliburn) are pretty damn expensive, I was curious if it's the same motor in the HW 40th.

2. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

When you'll get older you'll not ask this question any more...

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  3. Michael Chavez

Michael Chavez Forum Resident

thank you for the answer, very much
    the literature is hard to keep up with sometimes plus you never know how "updated" dealers' stuff is
    I haven't watched the whole thing but your question is answered - the same motor is used:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    hvbias likes this.
  4. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

Pretty much the only things I use my phone (Alcatel) for are phone calls, texting, and surfing the web. A little over a year in, it all works fine. I've got no idea what a $1k phone does above and beyond that to justify the price, but whatever it is, I personally don't need it.

Now, back to the VPI price hike. I've got no problem with it. My 31 year old VPI is still going strong, hopefully for another 31 years. If for some reason I need to buy a new one, I'll pay what they're asking.

5. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

My point was most people don’t shop for a smartphone. They go to their wireless provider and buy what is offered, and there’s nothing there for $30. It sounds like your solution works fine, I just don’t see the $1k as extravagant when that is simply what they are now charging for them.

And, yes, back to the VPI price hike, these seem reasonable to me. A lot of brands would do it by introducing a new product line and increasing costs that way, but VPI seems to be saying, no, our turntables are great as they are, we just need another $100-250 from you now.

6. Old Zorki II

VPI do make some changes to existing lineup, one recent is to giving option of gymbal tonearm (a big deal for some people).
    I actually was very close to pull a trigger on VPI prime, but it did not pass the most important criteria.

Big Blue likes this.
  7. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

"I love money. I love everything about it. I bought some pretty good stuff. Got me a $300 pair of socks. Got a fur sink. An electric dog polisher. A gasoline powered turtleneck sweater.

And, of course, I bought some dumb stuff, too."
    -Steve Martin

Cyclone Ranger, trd and macster like this.
  8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Never thought he was funny. Very easy joke to make.

loudinny likes this.
  9. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I don't know who you are or honestly care..but you have issues with your post. So please tell me/us:
    • How much margin have to be made on each model to keep the doors open?
    • What does it cost to make a turntable like VPI? Or any table for that matter?
    • Explain meaningful profit?
    <Moderator edit>

trd and Strat-Mangler like this.
  10. MOON

MOON Forum Resident

Cost of materials in the manufacturing process as well as wages go up, not down. The price increase is just probably just that. I believe the Prime has been at the same price for 3 years + until now which is pretty good.

macster likes this.
  11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Removed a bunch of personally directed comments and an unnecessarily extended discussion of smart phones. Also replies to the above. We can do better, friends. :) :wave:

Catcher10, Done A Ton and macster like this.
  12. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

which is?

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  13. Old Zorki II

WAF.
    She kind of liked Signature in wood with reservations.. But as soon as I showed her Acoustic Solid "Solid Machine" there was no way back )).

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    Mad Dog likes this.
  14. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That’s what I mean’t. Definitely worth the extra money for all the enjoyment I get. Awesome table and I had a good one prior to compare it to.

Done A Ton likes this.
  15. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Yeah his stuff is oddball, not like Richard Prior or George Carlin. Yet the joke fits perfectly with the conversation.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  16. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock Thread Starter

The off-topic is strong with this thread. :sigh:

17. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Sorry, this is partially my fault ... it's just the "$300 sock" thing mentioned above got me thinking about that joke.

Carry on :cool:

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  18. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I know this is an old thread, but can we also keep in mind that pretty much everything that VPI makes is US made using US labor, if that means anything to anyone.

trd, Mad Dog, Tullman and 3 others like this.
  19. monovinyl

monovinyl Senior Member

Old thread...but almost everything eventually goes up in price. VPI seems to hold off as long as possible on price hikes. They deserve to make a good profit. As the above poster stated - USA made with USA labor and USA quality! I'll assume their employees a paid a pair wage...full disclosure - I've been a happy VPI customer for 32 years.
    VPI could make a much higher profit if they sourced their components from China or elsewhere. I'm glad that they choose not to.

beowulf, jonwoody, Mad Dog and 3 others like this.
  20. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Not to mention that they have parts right here in the USA.

AnalogJ likes this.
  21. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock Thread Starter

Seems like your priorities are just right... unless you drive a Yugo. :eek:

Sugar Man likes this.
  22. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I guess prices are going up again? I thought I read something like 10-20%? If that's the case, that's a huge hike.

We also want to remind everyone that supply prices in all industries have drastically increased and seem to continue on the track. We are going to hold our prices until the first of June but not all companies are waiting on price increases. If you are thinking about that new amp or speaker for your system you might want to think about it sooner than later before there is a 10-20% increase across all types of products.

23. Old Zorki II

I do not understand price increases on some items. I understand speakers -lumber, metal, drivers, etc, etc.
    But cartridge? How much material is needed to manufacture it?

Jrr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.