VPI Peripheral Ring Clamp...Worth Its Weight!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gregory Earl, Aug 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member Thread Starter

You guys that are in the process, or have already upgraded your Scout turntable should really consider getting this upgrade too.

I just received my peripheral ring and stainless steel center clamp a few weeks ago. The differences are very obvious. I thought this table sounded good as was but now with the ring it's almost like a cartridge upgrade.

The ring really adds some extra snap to snare drums and piano notes. Bass response is deeper if that's even possible. The weight of the ring also induces a flywheel effect. When using it my platter rotates about 3 additional revolutions after I hit the off switch. Once the platter is up to speed this flywheel effect takes some of the work load off the motor. Does this improve speed stability? I believe so. Sure doesn't hurt it.

And you've never ever seen a flatter record in your life until you clamp it down with the ring and center weight clamp. It' quiet startling actually :eek: . How did I play records without this thing? :D

Attached Files:

2. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I really want one of these, but unfortunately they're not compatible with my HW-19 MK-IV (unless I'm mistaken).

John K.

3. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

Greg, it seems like we were just encouraging you to "pull the trigger" and buy the Scout. Now you just jumped in and got the upgrade. Good work. :righton: Enjoy it.

4. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

So, it actually sits on the very edge of the record?

These come with the Super Scoutmaster, right?

5. Gregory Earl

Yes to both questions Jamie.

6. Gregory Earl

A Closer Look

These pictures may give you a better understanding of just how it works.

Notice the outer edge of the platter. The lip is for using the ring just for the flywheel effect. The ring fits on the lower edge. Your record does not come in contact with the ring when using it in this manner. Then taking a look at the underside of the ring you see the inside lip. It's very sharp and thin. When using it as a clamp, that edge seats itself on the extreme outer lead-in grooves of your vinyl without any interference with your cartridge.

The earlier version of this clamp didn't have that black strip of cloth inside the ring. Some folks were have trouble removing the ring from the platter. This solves that problem completely.

The ring weighs 4.5 lbs. The center clamp is 1.5 lbs.

Attached Files:

7. Loud Listener

Loud Listener Forum Resident

It is amazing the amount of background noise a periphery clamp eliminates. Most of the surface noise is from vertical and horizontal motion of the grooves, ie, warps and the spindle hole being off center. The is partially the source of grinding, scraping and pop noise. The stylus never really gets to 'sit' in the groove correctly.

Reaming the spindle hole out and centering the pressing used in conjunction with one of these periphery clamps produces a very black background. Side benefit is the playback speed is much more constant.

8. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Is this how you get such quite backgrounds?

9. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

Yes, the peripheral ring really works( I've used it for two years). The first time I heard it being put on in the hi-fi store I couldn't believe my ears.

As I have mentioned couple of times on this forum, it also flattens warp records. And to me, that alone is worth the price of entry.

Unfortunately for old VPI table owners, you will have to replace not the just the platter but also the shaft and bearing with the new shaft that has inverted bearing.

10. Loud Listener

Loud Listener Forum Resident

Yes, that is where they come from!

Just using a plain old center clamp helps as long as it flattens the LP. One of the best I have used is the relatively inexpensive Michell clamp.

One of the things that made the most noticeable difference in my rig was the periphery clamp!

11. Gregory Earl

This is a very true statement. One of the first things I noticed when using the ring is how motionless the arm and cartridge are on the outer area of a record. Dead still.

12. Danny Kaey

Danny Kaey New Member

would you mind posting a close-up of the ring weighing down the outside lip of the record? I'm curious to see how that looks... also, how do you center it around the platter? hrmm... I'm probably thinking way too much into it...

13. Gregory Earl

Danny, this is the best I've got right now. It's hard to tell in this shot but there is plenty of room between the first track and the ring. It sits almost level with the LP. That edge on the vinyl is super thin.

As far as centering the ring, it centers itself. It fits snug around the platter. It's a perfect fit every time. Remember in the earlier photo of the black strip of cloth. That's what makes contact around the sides of platter.

All questions are welcome Danny. Fire away. That's why I posted the pictures in the first place. I always wondered how this thing worked myself.

Attached Files:

14. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

OK, here is a question purely due to my ignorance because I think this looks like a great product. Believe it or not when I first started in radio we had a steel weight to put on the turntable for records that were warped. We were warned to use it only when absolutely necessary because it would wear the motor out faster.
    So my question is if the weight necessary to flatten the record out is enough that it puts too much strain on the motor is wasn't designed to take? Again, this is purely from my ignorance.

15. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I've being thinking about the Super Scoutmaster over the last year. Boy this only makes me want it more. Well not in the budget for this year.

16. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I've been wondering the same thing. With that much extra weight it sure seems it would wear faster. I'd like one for my Scoutmaster but not at the expense of the motor.

17. Gregory Earl

I understand the concerns gentlemen.

If there is any strain at all, it is getting the platter started. But I believe this is where the flywheel effect comes into play.

When using the ring I grip the edge and give it a spin as I hit the power switch. This keeps any unnecessary strain on the motor to a minimum if there is any at all. Once the platter gets going it literally rotates by it self via the flywheel effect.
    As I said earlier, when I turn the platter off it actually rotates an additional 3 rotations due to the added 6 lbs from the ring and center clamp.

I have not heard yet, of any negative issues connected with using the ring.

18. Gregory Earl

Also I do believe VPI did a motor upgrade around the same time the clamp was made available.

19. t3hSheepdog

t3hSheepdog Forum Artist

very cool!

20. Danny Kaey

Danny Kaey New Member

interesting bit of trivia... when you run the Tube PS on a Brinkmann as the main motor power source, you may aide the overall tube life by giving the platter a simple jump start by hand... I thought that was kind of cool... :) It requires less of an energy spike from the tubes to get the motor moving...

My only recommendation/comment... be carefull not to accidentally drop the weight on your VPI! that would be a nasty accident... :D

21. Gregory Earl

My good friend Jack Daniels :evil: has mentioned this too on his visits during the weekend.

The first couple of times using the clamp it was a bit awkward. But I've really got a feel for it now and just included it in the whole ritual of playing a record. And you know how drawn out that whole process is. :D

22. Danny Kaey

Danny Kaey New Member

oh he's your pal too? I prefer hanging out with the Warsteiner family but hey... :)

cool, glad its added a measure of functionality and sonic improvement to you!

23. Monsieur Gadbois

24. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

25. Monsieur Gadbois

After reading this Kenwood L-07D turntable website I'm led to believe that Kenwood was the first to introduce the peripheral ring(back in the late 70's or so).

http://www.l-07d.com/accessories.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.