VPI Peripheral Ring Clamp...Worth Its Weight!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gregory Earl, Aug 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Greg, I am sick about this. :sigh: I want to have the peripheral ring on my TNT-HR so bad I can taste it, but because it is the TNT Mk V I first have to upgrade to the Mk VI platter and bearing so that the ring will fit. I have got to bite the bullet and do this, but every time I say I am going to I decide to spend the money on more LP's. Being a vinyl addict is a very sick thing. :sigh:

2. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Tony, I'm not saying this guy is right, but hey, at least he's against you feeling sick about this upgrade :)

From www.high-endaudio.com:

VPI HR-X TURNTABLE- I finally had a chance to carefully set-up this beautiful and well-built turntable, along with its JMW 12.6 tonearm, and then compare it to the Forsell Turntable and Tonearm, which has itself finally been optimized after more than 18 months of use. Everything was kept exactly the same. The HR-X was very impressive for around a half-hour or so, but the final results, unfortunately, were seriously disappointing.

A Short Sonic Description

The HR-X is highly detailed, powerful and delicate, but it's also noticeably dry and analytical in character. It's much different than the Aries I lived with and even the older HW-19 Mk. IV, both of which are recommended on this site. The HR-X reminds me of the Spectral preamplifiers from the 1980's. Like the HR-X, the Spectral had unprecedented outer detail, extended frequency extremes, but it also subtracted low-level musical information, which for me was, and still is, an amusical and fatal flaw. I much prefer the Forsell overall, or their own Aries for that matter.

As for the details; The natural harmonics, "bloom", body, decays, sense of space, musical textures are all compromised and bleached out on the HR-X. In other words, the "noise floor" of the HR-X was high. I also feel there is a subtle emphasis in the upper midrange and lower highs, which artificially enhances the musical details, along with tape hiss and vinyl noises, but this is the least of the problems, and may even be my psychoacoustic reaction to the uncovered details I was finally hearing. The fact that the HR-X has many sonic strengths, and is easy to set-up, is irrelevant in the larger context I'm discussing.

An example; One LP I played, Oregon In Concert (Vanguard VSD 79358), was converted from a hall recording into a studio recording. The notes no longer "hung in the air", as they have with other top turntables I've heard over the years. With other LPs, instruments and voices tended to sound "generic" instead of unique to themselves, meaning they lost some of their "individuality".

For those audiophiles who don't understand the differences between "detail" and "low-level information"; listen to this turntable. It's like the difference between a forest in Summer, and the same forest in Winter. Yes, you'll see more of the trees in Winter, but that's only because the leaves and foliage are all dead and gone.

The HR-X, Audio Magazines and the Internet

I realize that my criticisms will leave me alone among an ocean of rave reviews and hype for this component, but on occasion you have to stand up by yourself if you're a truely independent critic, with your own individual outlook, and this is one of those instances. This is a relatively low-profile blog/website, with little, if any, real influence, but I would still be doing my small readership a gross disservice if I attempted to hide, temper or obscure the above observations and my subsequent judgement.

For those readers who look for "wedge components" to separate, expose and test audio reviewers, this is that component. Read Harry Pearson's TAS rave of the HR-X, which has been posted, along with Anthony Cordesman's "ditto-rave" in the same magazine (Issue #151), and then compare them to my profoundly different description and, even more important, my highly negative reaction. HiFi+ even declared the HR-X to be their "Analog Component of the Year", while it's my "Disappointment of the Year". I welcome the comparisons myself, and advise readers to listen to the HR-X, even if it takes an effort.

My Advice

I still highly recommend the "Special Edition" of this turntable. The only differences between the two models, which share the same brilliant design, are in their execution. The "Special Edition", my term, is an incredible component. In fact, it's the only currently manufactured turntable within Class A of the Recommended Turntables on this site. Its sonics are far different, and superior, to the "standard" version described here. It's definitely worth the extra money, hassle and time to get one of them.

For those audiophiles who already have a HR-X, and truly enjoy it, my observations should be irrelevant. For those owners who have a similar outlook to mine, there are a few possible "remedies". You could switch to the TNT Hot-Rod platter, which is what the "Special Edition" uses. Based on my experiences with platters, the majority of the problems of this model should be eliminated. The extra cost, whatever it is, will be well worth it. Plus, you can always sell the old platter to someone on Audiogon who wants to build a DIY turntable. It may also be worthwhile to consider using a "lush" cartridge with the HR-X, like a Koetsu, or its closest contemporary equivalent.

I can not explain the popularity of the HR-X with hardcore phono buffs. I can only speculate that "The Emperor's New Clothes" fear factor has been in effect until now; meaning no one wanted to be the first person to go out on a limb and criticize the HR-X and, by implication, challenge Harry Pearson's and HiFi+'s competence for good measure. This short "review" removes that "excuse".

On a positive note, I can think of three scenarios where an audiophile would be understandably happy with the HR-X;
    1. An audiophile who requires some "offset" for a veiled, slow, overly heavy sounding system,
    2. An audiophile who owns a large record collection, but still prefers the sound of a good CD player, and has been dying to find a turntable that sounds similar to their digital ideal. The HR-X could be their "dream come true", and
    3. An audiophile who can't hear, or doesn't care about, "low-level musical information".

3. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

I have never heard this turntable but I've heard several "hi-end" tables that fit the description of this reviewer. I.M.O., just because a table costs $10K and looks impressive doesn't necessarily mean it sounds spectacular too. One statement that caught my eye was where he related the HR_X's presentation to that of a CD player. :eek:

4. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

Keep in mind that conspiracy theorists, such as Salvatore from that web site, are often not the most reliable people to take advice from...

5. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member Thread Starter

Yeah Tony, I hear ya. Vinyl addiction is the worst most terrible god I love this hobby fun addiction I can think of.

As far as that upgrade goes, that is a few dollars no doubt. If you can do it sooner than later I believe you would not regret it. Besides, you know you'll get those records anyway sometime down the road.

I'd love to hear if your results are similar to my own.

6. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

I can understand someone not liking VPI HRX for what ever reason, but to put it down in those words......make you wonder??? :wtf:

7. t3hSheepdog

t3hSheepdog Forum Artist

how much are they?

8. Gregory Earl

The HR-X is $10,000.00

9. mambo

mambo New Member

Hi Greg.

I'm glad you seem to be enjoying your VPI experience! :)

10. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

I have seen this and it does worry me some, even though I think this guy has his own negative bias against anything that gets good reviews in most other publications. I love the sound of my TNT-HR and it certainly does not sound CD like. The reason why I want the peripheral clamp so badly is on well made LP's I can hear the improvement when the vinyl is thicker. It is mostly a matter of more detail and some what more quickness in the presentation. If you have ever seen the booklet that comes with the MFSL UHQR's it explains how certain low level distortion in vinyl playback are reduced with thicker vinyl. I hope that the peripheral clamp will make some of my thinner vinyl sound more like thicker vinyl by clamping it at its two "ends". But to do so I have give up my heavy TNT-HR platter. :confused:

11. Gregory Earl

[QUOTEmambo]Hi Greg.

I'm glad you seem to be enjoying your VPI experience! :)[/QUOTE]Thanks Mambo. It has been an education in hi fidelity. And oh so fun.

[QUOTETony Plachy]I hope that the peripheral clamp will make some of my thinner vinyl sound more like thicker vinyl by clamping it at its two "ends". But to do so I have to give up my heavy TNT-HR platter. [/QUOTE]
    Tony, the upgrade to the clamp includes a special beveled HR-X platter. I don't believe you'd be losing an ounce of weight.

12. Matti Saari

Matti Saari Senior Finn

Peripheral ring'll be the next upgrade to my two week new Scoutmaster after dustcover. :thumbsup:

13. thommo

thommo Senior Member

Terrible it may be, but on the other hand consider this:

What other music source can you, for example, spend £51.50 ($90 or so?) and end up with 39 (yes, 39) records, about 10 of which are double albums? So nearly 50 actual slabs of vinyl.

Not that that's how I spent my Saturday afternoon or any thing.

Uh-uh.

No way.

:agree:

T.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.