VPI Prime Scout VTA adjustment

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by StratDoc, May 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StratDoc

StratDoc Sapien Thread Starter

I have a question about setting the VTA on my new prime scout.

The manual says adjust VTF to where the needle is barely resting on the platter without a record or mat, and then set the VTA. Otherwise, VTF will be off. However, when the VTF is adjusted to the recommended weight, the VTA is out of alignment. If you set VTF first, and then VTA the same problem will occur - changes to VTA will change the VTF. What is the proper way to set VTF and VTA on this table?

Thanks

2. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

VTA is the angle of the cantilever when playing. You probably wont be able measure that and what ultimately matters more is the SRA, but that also requires microscopes to set correctly.

Id recommend to just set the VTF correct and if the arm looks parallel and it sounds good theres not much need to worry. You can read why in the article below.

Exposing the VTA myth? [English]

3. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

I've always started with VTF, then set VTA, then verify VTF and adjust if necessary. Any adjustment at that point would be very slight and would not change VTA.

macster and violarules like this.
  4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

This will help more.

marcb, MGW and Pythonman like this.
  5. StratDoc

Video is very helpful. thank you.

Ordered a counterintuitive which made things easier as well. Where should tracking force be set? Goldring recommends 1.7g for the Eroica LX. VPI suggests setting it a the top end of the VTF range. Is there a design reason for why VPI recommends this?

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  6. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

Due to the unipivot tonearm. They used to recommend the high range plus a tenth of a gram. At least that was my original Scout with JMW9 recommendation.

7. StratDoc

Although I like the table, I must say it setup is extremely frustrating. I am still not sure I have it optimized, other than I know cartridge alignment is good using Feickert alignment tool.

The most frustrating has been VTF, azimuth and antiskate. I am not able adjust the tonearm weight without impacting antiskate and azimuth. I bought a counterintuitve that has helped but it is still a challenge. Right now I have it set at about 1.9g tracking force according the scale, and using the coiled wire for antiskate - just enough force to keep the tonearm on the platter without moving. Anything stronger and seem to get some channel imbalance - voices not centered. I would like to experiment with different tracking force weights, but doing so throws off antiskate and azimuth.

Not sure I will go the unipivot tonearm route in the future.

8. Leonthepro

As we have explained, you cant adjust the VTF without affecting other installations. It shouldnt affect the Azimuth though.

What does that mean exactly? Are you spinning the platter?

Read the article I linked if you want to know why you dont need a perfect VTA.

9. StratDoc

No, platter is not spinning. In video it shows setting tracking force such that the tonearm moves slowly toward the edge of the platter. In my instance, the sound is better when the tonearm is stationary at the center of the platter - does not move toward the edge or toward the spindle.

10. Leonthepro

Your wording is confusing me. Tracking force just determines the vertical pressure of the tonearm. Anti Skate determines the horizontal force toward the tonearm rest.
    So I assume you mean the sound is better when the Anti Skate is 0 and the arm is stationary horizontally speaking. This shouldnt be the case as Anti Skate, unless extreme, doesnt affect the general sound much at all, just tracking.

I watched the video, I find it funny that playing a groove less record for Anti Skate setup would void your warranty. Also, he did it in the wrong order completely, youre supposed to set VTF before anti skate. If you have Anti Skate set up when you use a VTF scale you might damage your cantilever or get incorrect readings. He knows this since the arm is stationary when he does the VTF measuring so I dont know why they showed the Anti Skate setup before the VTF.
    Also, hes not correcting Azimuth in the video, just the tonearm leveling. Azimuth refers to the angle of the stylus, not the arm, but I digress.

Look, there is no perfect Anti Skate, Azimuth or VTA, they are all moving targets. Get the VTF right and tune the rest so that it sounds good, that is my suggestion to make this easiest for you.

11. StratDoc

Thank you for the good information. Sorry for the word salad confusion on my end. Yes, for some reason when anti-skate is 0 it sounds best.

Leonthepro likes this.
  12. StratDoc

Resurrecting my original post as I changed to a sumiko blackbird cartridge. As is breaking in I have made some VTA adjustments - it started sounding really bright after about 10-15 hours of play and the VTA needed adjusting. I would like to set the pivot point a little lower than parallel, but on the scout master prime I have the VTA ring adjuster lowered as far as it will go and the pivot arm will not drop below parallel. Is there another adjustment I can make?

13. Leonthepro

Add another platter mat.
    But first, I recommend reading this:
    Exposing the VTA myth? [English]

14. StratDoc

If I add a platter mat - the scout prime came with one, currently not using one - do I still use the rubber washer that is used with the platter clamp?

15. Leonthepro

Why wouldnt you?

16. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

I will never have a unipivot arm - the idea of a £3k to £4k cartridge flapping around on the end of that thing is terrifying!!!

17. macster

macster Forum Resident

Is your setup similar to this?

[​IMG]

M~

18. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

2 things; firstly, the infamous wobble is only present at the very beginning when the needle initially hits the record. Secondly, VPI does sell a device to eliminate the wobble. Some report better SQ but I have serious doubts about that as we're all familiar with how far too many people are easily fooled in thinking that after buying anything.

It's debatable whether that device removes the theoretical advantages VPI touts about the unipivot design anyway but it's available if one wishes to get it.

19. StratDoc

Macster,

yes. I have loosened the allen screws to allow the pivot arm to move freely up and down. Onece those are loosened there is a plastic ring on the pivot arm that you turn to adjust VTA. Can definitely raise he privot arm but cannot lower the pivot arm past parallel. Was not an issue until the sumiko blackbird started breaking in. Started noticing some sibilance on albums and loss of bass. Checked VTA and cartridge had gotten lower than piviot arm.

20. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

My reaction might also have as much to do with my innate cack-handedness as the wobble in the unipivot design - I need all of the help I can get and will stick with my lovely SME309 which looks as bears almost as much resemblance to a construction crane as it does a tonearm :cheers:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.