VPI Prime with Gimbal Tonearm?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sbsbsb, Dec 7, 2018.

1. sbsbsb

sbsbsb Forum Resident Thread Starter

Any comments on this? I can't find much about them on the forum or the internet. Is the gimbal tonearm newer to the Prime, and is it preferred over the unipivot? Looks like MusicDirect is stocking these, while the unipivot is a 2-4 week order. Is this a potential shape of things to come for VPI?

This package is tempting, as the unipivot has always kept me from moving towards VPI...I wonder if this makes setup significantly easier as well?

VPI - Prime Turntable with Gimbal Tonearm

displayname likes this.
  2. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I can't vouch for the gimbal arm - I'd go 100% unipivot on a VPI - love my 10.5.

Now the gimbal arm looks pretty - but w/o a removable headshell that is a pain. Also the Unipivot arm comes right off - so you can take the arm off - install your cart - and place the arm back on - can that be done with the gimbal arm?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    macster likes this.
  3. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I can't remember where I saw/heard this announcement, but they have announced they will be offering gimbal arms in all of their major models moving forward. Mat still prefers the uni-pivot, but understands customers wants for the gimbal arms and says they are proud of the ones they have produced.

I don't know if that was from instagram, or an interview on youtube, or what. But I believe that was the main statements unless I'm mixing something up.

PhxJohn likes this.
  4. loudinny

loudinny Forum Resident

VPI = Unipivot. Great design that’s withstood the test of time!

Twinsfan007, macster, F1nut and 2 others like this.
  5. glide

glide Forum Resident

I had a VPI gimbal arm on my Traveller. It was a disaster. Sold it after only 1 month.

I’m sure they have refined the design since then but unipovot is what they are known for.

6. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I have the Gimbal Arm on my Prime Signature. I ordered it that way as I did not want the uni-pivot arm.

utahusker and displayname like this.
  7. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

I have not personally experienced a unipivot arm, so I am not fully qualified for an opinion. It seems to me the unipivot would "feel" the pull of the offset angle of the headshell, as the record groove "pulls" on the stylus? So would the unipivot then tilt slightly in the direction of the pull? Excuse me for my ignorance (although the physics are real) perhaps the unipivot arms compensate for this, maybe via an offset counterweight? The unipivot must require a perfectly level turntable, or does not tolerate off-level at all? (though any turntable should be level)

I am "oldschool" concerning turntable design, I favor platter mass, a nice four point gimball arm or similar. Maybe someone could change my mind?

8. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

I was at Capital Audiofest this year and had the chance to spend a lot of time listening to Mat and his dad, Harry, talk about all things VPI. Nice people!

They spoke at length about the unipivot vs gimbal design. First off, they do sound different. The unipivot has a cup the sits (balances) on a central point, allowing it to freely move in whatever direction it wants to. It can seem odd at first, and can be unnerving to handle somtimes. They sound great, though. I think they have a more natural and open sound than the gimbal arm. The reason Harry went with unipivot years ago as a company direction, from his own story, was because he liked to tinker and bring his cartridge and arm to friends’ houses. It was not a “sound” decision necessarily. The unipivot allows for easy removal/replacement, and you can easily have multiple arms with different cartridges mounted. You can’t do that with a gimbal arm.

The gimbal arm is said to have better, more solid bass, owing to the fact that it is mounted to the plinth and therefore “fixed” on one axis. There is no wobble like the unipivot, and it makes for easier cuing. Mat and Harry both noted that customers prefer the gimbal as they get older, because shaky hands and unipivots don’t mix well.

We heard both over the two days, and they both sound great. Differences are subtle. I have always owned the unipivot myself, but their gimbal design is sweet. If my hands do ever become shaky, it’s good to know there is a solution! Having two armwands and cartridges is fun, though.

macster, fmuakkassa, danomar and 8 others like this.
  9. sbsbsb

sbsbsb Forum Resident Thread Starter

How do you like it? Any drawbacks? Is it a great tonearm?

Dennis0675 likes this.
  10. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

It is great. I really don't have much to complain about with the Prime Signature.
    The Gimbaled Tonearm Assembly is certainly not something I would be inclined to complain about. Looks beautiful. Sounds great. Easy setup and operation.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  11. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Easily fixed by the addition of a removable headshell, which should be their next step, IMO. When that happens - VPI will be back on my radar.

riverrat likes this.
  12. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

Completely different arms. No worries on the Prime level arm.

13. teag

teag Forum Resident

Does anyone know if the interface that accepts the Gimbal tonearm on the VPI Signature 21 will also accept the unipivot tonearm? I'm thinking it probably does not but just want to make sure.

14. theflattire

theflattire Forum Resident

I think you are good to go as long as using the same length.
    Both just unscrew off the base.
    Check the website.

15. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

I have a Kuzma unipivot on my Feickert Woodpecker and love it. Feels different at first but it's totally normal to me now. No worries about accidents w a queuing lever.
    Easy and sounds great.

16. teag

teag Forum Resident

The unipivot does not screw or unscrew off the base. It basically lies on a spike. I have 4 10.5 inch unipivot arms. And there is nothing on the VPI website.

The base must be different for the gimbal.

Can anyone describe what the base looks like when you remove the gimbal arm?

17. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Below is the sequence to change from the uni to gimbal, just remove the spike and holder, then drop the gimbal arm in the hole and screw retaining nut below ... not sure if the base supplied with the gimbal arm matches that below, I think they offer a more universal mounting base for use on other tables too ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
    teag likes this.
  18. teag

teag Forum Resident

Thank you for posting this information. Have a great weekend!

19. theflattire

theflattire Forum Resident

yeah that's the video I remember and I'm pretty sure I saw the spike for sale on the VPI site.
    Maybe this only works with the "VTA on the Fly" base.

teag likes this.
  20. edwyun

edwyun Forum Resident

The gimbal is a newer option on the Prime. Also, there is the fatboy unipivot and fatboy gimbal as well. Different strokes for different folks.

21. teag

teag Forum Resident

Makes sense. Thanks.

22. Figment

Figment Forum Resident

I have the VPI prime 21, which comes with a gimbal arm and I love it. Never experienced unipivot, but only heard bad things about it

23. teag

teag Forum Resident

Well here is a good thing. It sounds great. I’ve heard the gimbal. Also sounds great.

Pythonman, Tommyboy and macster like this.
  24. Frank Bisby

Frank Bisby Forum Resident

Well then, allow me to be the first. The uni pivot is a fantastic performer. I currently have the gimbaled arm and I really don’t think it’s any better than the uni-pivot.

macster, theflattire and teag like this.
  25. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

Love the Unipivot. It’s a great piece of engineering and the stylus has an exceptionally easy time navigating the grooves with the low slung counterweight. For the money it’s fantastic.

macster, teag and Mad Dog like this.