Wait for Grateful Dead Europe '72 AAA 50th?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oscillation, Dec 5, 2021.

1. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses? Thread Starter

This is getting aggravating, so I turn again to these forums for help. I'm trying to find a nice AAA copy of Europe 72, but can't seem to confirm AAA on any of the newer releases, and the older ones are going for stupid money on Discfrauds. Is there any murmur in the wind suggesting a 50th AAA version? Or any other suggestions more than welcome!

2. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I'm sure we will get a reissue of the original album. Likely a color vinyl exclusive from GD store.
    Pretty sure all these new releases they've been doing are AAA?
    They sure sound good.

Swansong and Mad Dog like this.
  3. Oscillation

That's my question as well. There is no, immediately obvious, indication whether or not they are AAA or not. I think this should be mandatory information on the post digital records, even given the fact that I may not be able to tell the difference, or god forbid the digitally sourced one sounds better. Yes maybe the AAA is the free range turkey of musical consumption, but I'm allowed to have my vices and AAA is one of them!

Swansong likes this.
  4. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

5. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

That's interesting as the Skull & Roses they just did I believe used the Plangent Processed digital files as the source for the vinyl. But this new Europe '72 sure seems AAA. EDIT: wait maybe this Europe '72 is not new? Maybe just still in stock? Yeah looks like done in 2019.

Swansong and aoxomoxoa like this.
  6. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I don't know what they could do for the 50th with regard to Europe '72 for me. I have the vinyl (multiple copies), the vinyl of Vol2, the CD the original LP (multiple copies), the CD of vol2, the steamer trunk of every show on the tour, and any vinyl editions they released for RSD (a long Dark Star, and a full show).

I guess the only thing for me would be the release of another full show on vinyl, since I have every show on CD with the steamer trunk.

frightwigwam, Gdgray, jaxpads and 5 others like this.
  7. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

8. aoxomoxoa

I'm happy with my 50 year old white label promo. I'll likely pass.

9. Oscillation

I would be more than satisfied with any of my originals, unfortunately that's dust in the wind, be glad you managed to hang on to yours!

Swansong and aoxomoxoa like this.
  10. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

I think this is a real possibility. I bet we get a rainbow colored version.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  11. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Whenever David decides to head for the coast.

12. Ray29

Ray29 Forum Resident

Good for you. I’d kill to have the actual steamer trunk. I tracked down every individual CD E72 show release. The perfect tour. Each show kicks ass.

I’d be up for a AAA vinyl reissue. I only own the 80’s CD release. The MOFI skull & roses vinyl from a few years back is incredible. So I guess I’d be up for a E72 50th anniversary release. Cause the individual E72 shows are only 2 track. I am aware that both skull & Roses and E72 contain overdubs but they are must own

Stone Turntable likes this.
  13. Swansong

Swansong From Planet Earth

I think there is going to be a nod to Europe 72’ next year, but probably not until spring. I’m just guessing of course but it’s likely as that tour was monumental.

As far as whether the newest release was AAA, it’s possible, but I do know that the ‘Vinyl Me Please Box Set’ was all AAA transfers and Europe 72’ was included, and it sounds amazing. Actually everything in that set was AAA except ‘Without A Net’ which was originally recorded in digital.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    wavethatflag and Freebird like this.
  14. Swansong

Swansong From Planet Earth

[​IMG] [​IMG] If you want any of these albums and you require AAA then this set is just what the doctor ordered.

wavethatflag, mBen989 and Oscillation like this.
  15. Oscillation

16. Oscillation

Oh man, I wish I had known about this before I started rebuilding my collection!

Swansong likes this.
  17. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Not at all. The 50th Anniversary American Beauty and Workingman's Dead were put through the Plangent Process, which is digital. I don't know about the earlier 50th Anniversary albums but I assume they're the same as I don't recall seeing any hype about AAA.

That said, the current Warner version of Europe '72 sounds great to me, and is certainly good enough to tide me over until I can find a clean original that I'm willing to pay for.

johnny q likes this.
  18. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Eat the rich, and also @aoxomoxoa.

:candy:

(I kid, it’s just the envy talking!)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
    aoxomoxoa likes this.
  19. uzn007

I think all the 2011 editions are AAA. I have the WD and AB from 2011 and they sound great.

20. uzn007

21. aoxomoxoa

You'd never believe what I paid :D

Stone Turntable likes this.
  22. kohoutek

kohoutek Forum Resident

ODShowtime likes this.
  23. Oscillation

yeah but,

The Grateful Dead – Europe '72 (2011, Tri-Fold, 180 gram, Vinyl)
    Notes
    Recorded live in Europe by Alembic Sound. Mixed at Alembic Studios in San Francisco, California.

Mastered from the original 1/4" analog stereo tapes at Bernie Grundman Mastering Studios. Pressed at Record Technology, Inc. on premium 180 gram virgin vinyl. Features all original replica packaging including an 8-page book.

© 1972 Warner Bros. Records Inc. All Rights Reserved. Manufactured & Marketed by Rhino Entertainment Company, a Warner Music Group Company, 3400 W. Olive Ave., Burbank, CA 91505-4614. Printed in U.S.A.

The Grateful Dead – Europe '72 (2019, 180 gram, Vinyl)

Packaged in a tri-fold gatefold sleeve. Includes a booklet.
    This version has Warner Records on the labels.

This leads to confusion as there is an explicit mention of the source on the 2011, but crickets on the 2019

24. Oscillation

It is too late! I couldn't wait :D Got the 2011 mint for $60, I will report back, because I have listened to the original version of this so many times it has carved a groove in my brain.

25. uzn007

I was looking at the runouts. It's from the same master.

Freebird and fishcane like this.